Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion-related July 2011 Solicitations and Images...SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion-related July 2011 Solicitations and Images...SPOILERS
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
as for the heat-powered characters, we have too many of them in Legion: Dr. Regulus, Flare, Sun Emperor, Sun Eater, Sun Killer, Beauty Blaze, Lazon (technically), Quanto (kind of), Sun Boy, Sun Girl (wondering what happened to her from the Titans), Inferno (same thing), Wildfire, Fire Lad, Energax (remember him?), Sun Woman (Night Girl's one time arch nemesis - remember her [Smile] ), and others I may have forgotten. ha.

While some of those are all-but forgotten, I do find it kind of redundant that Sun Killer was introduced, when both Sun Emperor and Dr. Regulus are around to fill that niche, and Beauty Blaze or Inferno could have been brought in to add another, if a third fire-user was really needed for some reason.

Was it Gerry Conway and Joe Staton that came up with the League of Super-Assassins? I kind miss that level of creativity, where none of the villains were just evil versions of Legionnaires. (Like Micro Lad, Saturn Queen, Lightning Lord, Chameleon King, Ol-Vir, Sun Emperor, etc.)

For all that he's useless, Ron-Karr is at least more of an original character than Questor, the evil version of Brainy.

Although an evil Naltorian could be a neat sort of mastermind figure...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Totally agree re: the creation of Sun Killer. I just so don't get why Paul bothered when we already have those three much more interesting fire-based villains to work with in this continuity (I wouldn't really count Inferno/Sandy as a villain here - unless there's one from this continuity I'm forgetting.)

Paul is definitely not being as creative as he could/should be with this book IMO. And it's leaving me a little bored.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

P.S. Gerry Conway gets a lot of grief for his Legion run but it was pretty creative IMO. The League of Super-Assassins are a good example of that. They're a bit like the Fatal Five in that they're a really interesting team but they've each got a cool look/power-set individually too. And the back-story behind their feud with the Legion (and their ties to a certain member) is killer story-fodder. It's a shame we haven't seen much of them over the years because there's a lot of potential there I think.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
[QB] ^ Totally agree re: the creation of Sun Killer. I just so don't get why Paul bothered when we already have those three much more interesting fire-based villains to work with in this continuity.

I love the idea that Sun-Killer somehow destroyed a sun to gain his powers. That's very cool, as origins go, but yet another fire-based villain, when we've already got like three of them, none of whom, as far as I know, already have an origin (since I don't think we have any backstory on how Sun Emperor, Beauty Blaze or 'Sun Girl' got their powers, which means any of them could have been hooked into the cool 'ate a star' origin, instead of inventing yet another sun-powered character).

Sometimes, when writing, less is more. Assign that cool plot element to a pre-existing character who has no origin at all, rather than invent another character with a cool origin, and derivative been-there, done-that powers.

Plus, if I've got a choice between seeing Sun Killer and Beauty Blaze, is there really any contest?

Beauty Blaze is multiple definitions of hot, and Sun Killer, just the one. [Smile]

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I would like Sun Killer more if harnessing the powers of a sun meant he also had stuff like electromagnetic control, gravity control, etc...after all, stars aren't just a ball of fire sitting in the sky....

As a solo villain he has heaps of potential - the heavy hitters of the Legion could be kept busy fighting him while those with more subtle powers would be trying to evacuate whatever system whose sun he has targetted next. Time Trapper and Mordru have traditionally been this Legion's recurring mega-powerful villains, it would be nice to add someone else to the mix who has a different motivation.

As a generic flame-powered henchman though, while he's still a cool bad guy, you guys are right - we do already have Regulus, Sun Emperor, Flare, Beauty Blaze etc so unless Sun Killer doesn't bring anything new to the table, what's the point?

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
ADVENTURE COMICS #528
Written by PAUL LEVITZ; Art by GERALDO BORGES and MARLO ALQUIZA ;Cover by FRANCIS PORTELA

It's "Graduation Day" for the seniors at the Legion Academy as they find out their new postings — and the lucky ones AREN'T headed for Legion membership.

Hey, I just noticed....is it just me or does the way that's phrased indicate that one or more Academy graduates WILL be joining the Legion??

I hope so!!! I have really gotten to like them all over the past couple of issues!

On another note, that cover of Lu being crushed by the statues of the fallen (including one of herself) is a really clever composition! I like it a lot!

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I think I would like Sun Killer more if harnessing the powers of a sun meant he also had stuff like electromagnetic control, gravity control, etc...after all, stars aren't just a ball of fire sitting in the sky....

As a solo villain he has heaps of potential - the heavy hitters of the Legion could be kept busy fighting him while those with more subtle powers would be trying to evacuate whatever system whose sun he has targetted next. Time Trapper and Mordru have traditionally been this Legion's recurring mega-powerful villains, it would be nice to add someone else to the mix who has a different motivation.

As a generic flame-powered henchman though, while he's still a cool bad guy, you guys are right - we do already have Regulus, Sun Emperor, Flare, Beauty Blaze etc so unless Sun Killer doesn't bring anything new to the table, what's the point?

Well, he's a big fatty. That's new. [Smile]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Well, he's a big fatty. That's new. [Smile]

Also Japanese. And with some apparently deliberate design elements to reinforce that (the samurai hair-thing, which hasn't been a Japanese fashion 'do' since 1570, and the rising sun motif on his belly).

I wonder if he was heavyset before gaining his powers, or he's just all swollen up with that exploding sun power he's absorbed? It might be funky to find out that he was some tiny little guy, once upon a time.

Heh. It occurs to me that he's the DC equivalent of Marvel's Sentry.

"I have the power of an exploding sun!"

"A thousand exploding suns, wasn't it?"

<pouting> "No, that's the other guy. Just the one, for me..."

EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
P.S. Gerry Conway gets a lot of grief for his Legion run but it was pretty creative IMO. The League of Super-Assassins are a good example of that. They're a bit like the Fatal Five in that they're a really interesting team but they've each got a cool look/power-set individually too. And the back-story behind their feud with the Legion (and their ties to a certain member) is killer story-fodder. It's a shame we haven't seen much of them over the years because there's a lot of potential there I think.

The funny thing about the League of Super-Assassins is that they were supposed to be a version of the X-Men!
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ Really? I never knew that. Let's see..

* Neutrax --- Professor X
* Titania --- Colossus?
* Silver Slasher --- Wolverine?
* Lazon --- Nightcrawler?
* Mist Master --- ...?

I'm obviously having trouble coming up with good matches. But I don't know the X-Men very well.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Apparently the LSA = X-men thing is a myth, and Conway himself has denied any homage. See Glen Cadigan's post on a previous thread.

The fact that they kind of match is interesting, however.

I'd see it as:

Neutrax -- Professor X + the Cyclops eyebeam-theme
Lazon -- Cyclops
Silver Slasher -- Wolverine
Titania -- Thunderbird
Mist Master -- Nightcrawler
Blok -- Colossus

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Conway was going for balanced team, and the X-Men usually have balance teams. As someone whose been in plenty of [insert character] vs. [insert character] threads, I really appreciate balanced teams. The Legionnaires are severely overpowered, but a versatile team with prep could defeat them.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I had a thought for a second that maybe you could see the LSA as improved versions of the Subs, but I got so far with it:

Blok - Stone Boy, but mobile
Titania - Night Girl, but strong in daylight as well
Lazon - Color Kid, but more general light powers rather than simply changing color

I don't see anyway that other three match up with Polar Boy, Chlorophyll Kid, and Fire Lad, however.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ I guess Mist Master could be Chlorophyll Kid in that plants need air to breathe (don't they? or am I betraying the fact I never did Biology at school? [Big Grin] ) ... and they both have a green colour scheme going on.

Silver Slasher could be Polar Boy in that metal can be cold and ice can cut you.

... I'm relly grasping at straws now aren't I?

EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Apparently the LSA = X-men thing is a myth, and Conway himself has denied any homage. See Glen Cadigan's post on a previous thread.

The fact that they kind of match is interesting, however.

I'd see it as:

Neutrax -- Professor X + the Cyclops eyebeam-theme
Lazon -- Cyclops
Silver Slasher -- Wolverine
Titania -- Thunderbird
Mist Master -- Nightcrawler
Blok -- Colossus

I think Mist Master was suppised to be like Storm, who can create fog.

And Titania was Jean Grey....a red head.

Unless that is a myth, of course.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.