Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Superboy OR Supergirl in the Legion? Who would you pick with only one choice? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Superboy OR Supergirl in the Legion? Who would you pick with only one choice?
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Supergirl hardly appeared in the Legion at all. Her big run was in the Threeboot--she appeared there as much as she had had in the entire run of the Legion dating back to when she joined. And several of her early appearances, like Superboy, were Supergirl stories with a little bit of the Legion, and/or non book length stories.

As for her age, it all depends on what the Supergirl writers decide. If the Supergirl writers age her in real time, she could be ready for the current Legion fairly soon, given that everyone else runs on comic book time. A recent Supergirl issue suggested she's old enough to go to a university, which implies at least some aging (but probably wasn't thought through.)

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I echo previous comments that Supergirl feels more at home in the 30th/31st century and I enjoy that aspect about her. Even though he's not my favorite and I like him less than classic Kara, I recognize the significance of Superboy as a member. I'd only do away with that legacy if we were doing away with the Super-connection completely like in the postboot.

Abstaining for now. I'd probably vote for Supergirl though if we could get the pre-crisis version. The latest iteration of her I'm still not sold on.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In all honesty, I'd rather have neither of them.

Realizing all the trouble TPTB just went through to re-graft Superboy onto the Legion tree, I know he will be at least an occasional visitor, though I'd rather he not be.

Supergirl, on the other hand, has never done it for me. She may be the only character in comics history with two "alternate versions" (Andromeda and Power Girl) who are more interesting than the original.

[ November 04, 2010, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
If it were up to me, I'd have neither in full-time, as I think they take too much of the focus away from the Legion.

If I had to pick one, then Supergirl.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I would go for the more traditional and want Superboy. Plus as it stands now, a young Kal-el has no series of his own, while Supergirl does.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It would be interesting if the reboot Legion/New Wanderers show up in Kon-El's book, given his previous affiliation with them.

(Yeah, it's kind of a tangent, but just roll with it, 'kay?)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I don't see why Kara has to die again. After all, Superman is dead in the Legion's time too. We do have time travel at our disposal (again).

I didn't say she has to die.
Querl says that she's dead, this one is dead by his timeline, i.e. when she's his age.
He's mourning her, she can never be with him at his age, which is the current retroboot age of the Legionnaires.

He didn't mean that she died of old age, he meant that he lost her at about the age as the original Kara died.

Really, he said it and implied it multiple times in the New Krypton storyline.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And we know she can't be in the current Legion because Brainy says that she's dead in his time in the New Krypton story.

So, we know that the current Kara has a very limited shelf life.
And there's no way that her death this time is going to be as ground breaking or as heart breaking as the first time.

I hate retreads.

And we've also heard how the future is fluid. And just cause it says she died doesn't mean she's dead. Its a matter of perspective. As far as Brainy and the other legionnaires know she died. Nothing says when we get to that point that we find out somehow she survived.

31st history perspective.

Kara's birth-----------------------(past)------------------Supergirl Career(past-present)-----------------Death (Future-Past) (what happens after? we don't know yet)

And i aint chosing which cousin...i wanted them both back since COIE took them out. And I'm not gonna let either of them go now that they're back where they belong.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigort
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigort   Email brigort         Edit/Delete Post     
Really, they should keep them both away. They may have had their origins with Superboy, but they've grown up and moved on.
They don't need him. When they are there, the writers tend to focus on them and they ride in to save the day.

The Legion doesn't need their help and never should.

From: PEI, Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
As a Kara/Brainy fan I'd have to say Kara. Especially as I really don't think the current Supergirl has much of a place in the present day DCU proper. I'd like to see her basically move to the 30th Century & stop by the modern age every so often.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
quote:
I don't see why Kara has to die again. After all, Superman is dead in the Legion's time too. We do have time travel at our disposal (again).

Querl says that she's dead, this one is dead by his timeline, i.e. when she's his age.
He's mourning her, she can never be with him at his age, which is the current retroboot age of the Legionnaires.

He didn't mean that she died of old age, he meant that he lost her at about the age as the original Kara died.

If something wasn't going to save her from this death they wouldn't have brought it up.

Why is it that the two Karas are seen as so separate but people group Silver Age Superman and Modern Superman together. Its the same principle.

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer07
Interstellar Man of Mystery.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucifer07   Email Lucifer07         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd go with Kara also. Clark is the "Greatest Hero of all time." So the story goes, but where does that leave Kara? Is she as popular as Wonder Woman in her own time? doubtful? I agree with others that she seems like a better fit in the Legion's time.

I believe Kara should end up in the 30th century this time much like the "Long way home" episode of Justice League Unlimited.

--------------------
I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)

From: Webers World | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A lot of good reasons for keeping Kara here. But I am too much of a traditionlist to want anyone other than Kal in the legion (if we can only have the one that is as i actually like both)

To me having Kal be Superboy means he needs the Legion more now than they need him.

If we take the analogy of a superstar footballer like say Beckham, he did not appear as the complete finished article at 21. He worked his way up through junior teams to the reserves and then the first team. So i se Kals time withthe legion like this. In the future he can learn hone his skills make his mistakes so that when he goes public as SUPERMAN he is the finished item.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
quote:

If something wasn't going to save her from this death they wouldn't have brought it up.

Why is it that the two Karas are seen as so separate but people group Silver Age Superman and Modern Superman together. Its the same principle.

In the 'Supergirl' annual, this Kara sees her death.
Imra made her forget it, but Brainy says, not that she won't die in that battle but that THIS time she won't die alone, implying that he and/or the other Legionnaires will be there for her.

I personally hope that she doesn't die, but it's certainly said and shown that she will.

And, this isn't the same Kara because it just isn't.
Anymore than that some fans feel that this isn't really the same Legion as the original, even though it was touted to be.

I don't find this Kara to be very believeable, particularly heroic or even very smart or charming.
She just doesn't hold a candle to the original, imo.

DC brought back the original Flash, not a reboot version.
Supergirl deserves the same thing.

I can't explain Superboy.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.