Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics # 519 - Spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics # 519 - Spoilers
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
So nice to see a more "human" Brainy again. Pretty good issue all around, although Lyle fans may not be too pleased with his portrayal (though I was fine with it). Definitely not the super-competent reboot version.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked this issue. It is spot-on as far as capturing that youthful, exciting newness that the young Legionnaires exude from their actions and how they interact with each other. They are a group of youths just starting to learn about each other.

This is in stark contrast to the regular "parent" Legion book. Those relationships have a feeling of comfortable familiarity.
Only someone like Paul knows the characters enough that he can write them past and present and show us a clear difference between the two.

The story itself was a fun little romp. I love those two team stories where one team is out investigating current events while the other is "setting history straight", once again (sigh) by sending a team back to the past.
Was this story meant to introduce us to the Espionage Squad's first roster? Yes I think it was. Not a bad first mission together I think. Zaryan got away .... oh well, we knew he would. At least they got the cargo.

I find it interesting that Cham chose to keep reverting back to a rat each time, among the many forms he could have chosen from!

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
He might have just discovered the shape and found it funny and versatile. Except for the whiteness (although lab/science rats might have been the ones to make it to spaceships), a rat might be something that is usually ignored on pirate ships.
Without the girl on his back, of course.

Or, it might just be that the artist lacks 'aliens' imagination.

And if Imra and Cos getting drunk and going to bed with each other were the 'norm' for that society, they wouldn't have reacted the way that they did, afterward.
It was the same with the Prime Ayla.
If her actions were a normal part of THAT culture, the guys wouldn't have talked about her the way that they did.

If the writers want to show different morals as part of the future, they need to follow through, rather than showing our cultural reactions to what happens.
imo

[ October 15, 2010, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
...If the writers want to show different morals as part of the future, they need to follow through, rather than showing our cultural reactions to what happens.
imo

brb. stealing this.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
This was a good issue. I liked the Smallville section opposed to the Zayyan section. While the Smallville section is like the issue where Clark has his one good day, this goes beyond that with the threat of the brainiac drone. The zaryan section seemed like there was story that we missed reading. And it was marred by what I consider the worst drawings of Shrinking Violet. Beyond that the art was good.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by future king:
...I find it interesting that Cham chose to keep reverting back to a rat each time, among the many forms he could have chosen from!

He's secretly the 31st Century's biggest Charlotte's Web fan.

[Gossiping Girls]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I flipped through it at the store, but didn't like the art so I didn't buy it. Did like the invisibility effect on Lyle though.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
[snip]

quote:
...I find it interesting that Cham chose to keep reverting back to a rat each time, among the many forms he could have chosen from!

He's secretly the 31st Century's biggest Charlotte's Web fan.

[Gossiping Girls]

LOL
Yeah, that could very well be ....
I just thought Paul was forshadowing that Reep might do something underhanded in the near future, which he'll regret later.
Something to make us say he's a dirty rat?
Nhhaaaa, I'm wrong.
[Embarrassed]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the issue, but was very surprised that Brainy's checklist didn't contain some reference to his recent cockroach-eradication obsession.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely the best issue yet. I might even go so far as to say I really liked it!

The art was fabbo I thought. I really don't get how anyone could complain about this art. Especially after what we've had the last few months. All the members (especially Lyle) looked great IMO.

Speaking of Lyle - yes, this was a very different Invisible Kid to the supremely confident/able Espionage Squad leader of the Reboot... but I can dig it. This is a different Lyle and at a slightly earlier stage in his hero career. I hope we get to see him grow into the Ultra Boy-punching, commanding leader we know he becomes though. I miss Lyle! [Frown]

The 20th century story was fun too - with a clever reason for them to be back in that era. Good issue all around IMO. I hope this means Paul has found his groove here at last and all future issues will be equally as good.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved it. To me the art looked like it was Sharpe's layouts and this new penciller's finishes.
Still, a vast improvement!!
Funny, Kevin Sharpe pencilled a couple of threeboot issues, and they were so much better than his work on these Legion Adv. stories. I guess the inker does make a big difference!!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Speaking of Lyle - yes, this was a very different Invisible Kid to the supremely confident/able Espionage Squad leader of the Reboot... but I can dig it. This is a different Lyle and at a slightly earlier stage in his hero career. I hope we get to see him grow into the Ultra Boy-punching, commanding leader we know he becomes though. I miss Lyle! [Frown]

You and me both.

I was thinking along similar lines; that this is a Lyle Norg admitted to the Legion for his invisibility and brainpower but who still lacks presence and combat skills.

Speculation: Lyle fails to stop Zaryan; Zaryan goes on to ice Garth, and a guilt-wracked Lyle becomes determined to toughen himself up.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[snip]

quote:

...I just thought Paul was foreshadowing that Reep might do something underhanded in the near future, which he'll regret later.
Something to make us say he's a dirty rat?
Nhhaaaa, I'm wrong.
[Embarrassed]

Well... does this story take place before his temporary side-career in show biz?

[The Terrible Cyclopean Creature]

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a pushover for competence, and seeing a less competent Lyle (kinda like the threeboot version) doesn't do much for me.

It might have been amusing if he got hit by a laser, only to discover that invisible people are, pretty much by the nature of invisibility, laser-proof...

I kinda expected Brainy to make more explicit that he invited the Legionnaires to participate in a barn-building because they were going to have to use that experience to assist in rebuilding the Kent barn.

And, this is the Brainy I've been waiting to see in Adventure. A sense of humor. The perception that these Legionnaires are *friends* and not just a bunch of grumpy people who don't like each other very much (like in the Threeboot, quite often).

More of this Brainy, and less of curmudgeonly contemptuous and callous Vril 2.0, please!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And if Imra and Cos getting drunk and going to bed with each other were the 'norm' for that society, they wouldn't have reacted the way that they did, afterward.
It was the same with the Prime Ayla.
If her actions were a normal part of THAT culture, the guys wouldn't have talked about her the way that they did.

If the writers want to show different morals as part of the future, they need to follow through, rather than showing our cultural reactions to what happens.
imo

The guys were talking about guessing who the chick whom Cos was sleeping with. Him sleeping with someone at his age (especially since he's an adult) isn't looked upon as *omg he slept with someone he's a teen* feeling that some of us are having a time wrapping our minds around with...again..he's a Adult. Garth was into the pruient details again... that's something even adult males do, not just teens in this culture. (what about prime ayla what she do?) Even in this culture we have different reactions to the same issues. Same sex marriage some of us think its no big deal some say its the greatest evil on the face of the Earth...so I wouldn't look to the writers to show us a uniform opinion as the only option out there of what's "right" in the 31st century they can on the other hand have shown us what teens are like in the 31st century and how they are looked on than our present that's far more advanced than they are now. And again...what we know for sure from the 31st century...Cosmic Boy is looked at as an adult. I'm not sure about Garth or Imra on their homeworlds...i would argue they would be since Imra was on her way to Earth to become a part of Sci POlice Academy and that's something only adults in our century can do. And Garth traveling without adult supervision to look for his brother another nod to adult privledges.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.