Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » MATTER-EATER LAD to appear in LSH # 6! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MATTER-EATER LAD to appear in LSH # 6!
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree CB.
To dismiss Tenzil so quickly is not thinking outside the box, in my opinion.
Sure his power is a bit "goofy" by today's standards(?), but M-E Lad is a beloved, classic hero who happens to have his fair share of long-time fans (myself included) and we want to see his exploits on a monthly basis, if possible.

A writer who really cared about the character would find a way to make him relevant in today's market. Maybe he might be the "powerless" yet smart hero, maybe a side weapon on him as well, maybe not, a la Batman (even Brainy). Someone who didn't neccessarily rely on his powers all the time, unless the occasion happened to required it. Then he could play that special card.

If you think about it the guy was a political leader on his home world. He even saved the universe by swallowing the Miracle Machine, which drove him crazy for a while, for crying out loud!

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The above post makes me smile!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that he did swallow the miracle machine opens the door to all kinds of possibilities for expanding his power, but I wouldn't want him to become too powerful either. Maybe he could swallow energy (as he did in Superboy 188(?)) and convert it to a different type of energy, similar to Sizzle in the 3boot.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Taryn could have her father do that super-strength thing on him, but I guess I like that being HERS alone.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Even if you grant (the false assumption) that Tenzil's powers don't work very well in a fight, then there's the question of why every Legionnaire necessarily needs to be a fighter. Surely the Legionnaires has need for diplomats? Surely the fact that that few Legionnaires can survive in hostile environments as well as him counts for something? Surely the fact that no prison can hold him would be useful?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
A great number of points there EDE.
I would rather have M-E Lad around on my side, when the chips were down, than not. He's a long-standing Legionnaire that's trained himself to figure out how to get out of predicaments using his smarts and experience.
Plus, back in the day, I thought Karate Kid taught everybody with limited power-based abilities multiple hand-to-hand fighting techniques, just in case they needed them in a fight.
That certainly adds to his all around resourcefulness, no?

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Shirley, he could be held in a force shield prison.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Not if he can eat energy! [Wink]

[ September 28, 2010, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

But wouldn't a force shield just reseal itself if he did manage to eat a hole in it?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Maybe. I suppose it depends on how the particular force field works. It makes as much sense as Karate Kid shattering a force field by "finding a weak spot", however.

I suppose if you had a force field that completely surrounded him, with an unlimited energy source, that could renew itself faster than he could eat, then he might have a problem.

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I guess he was lucky his brother aimed that raygun at his head so he could swallow the blast easily. If he'd aimed at his heart or stomach, he might've been in trouble!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Not with his obviously invulnerable innnards [Wink] Though that might've left a scar...

--------------------

Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
I agree CB.
To dismiss Tenzil so quickly is not thinking outside the box, in my opinion.
Sure his power is a bit "goofy" by today's standards(?), but M-E Lad is a beloved, classic hero who happens to have his fair share of long-time fans (myself included) and we want to see his exploits on a monthly basis, if possible.

A writer who really cared about the character would find a way to make him relevant in today's market. Maybe he might be the "powerless" yet smart hero, maybe a side weapon on him as well, maybe not, a la Batman (even Brainy). Someone who didn't neccessarily rely on his powers all the time, unless the occasion happened to required it. Then he could play that special card.

If you think about it the guy was a political leader on his home world. He even saved the universe by swallowing the Miracle Machine, which drove him crazy for a while, for crying out loud!

It seems the easiest thing to me to make Tenzil less "goofy" would be to give him a power boost while also removing the eating aspect. For example internalize his power and say make him the opposite of Mano where all he has to do is touch an inorganic object (or even energy) and he can obsorb the object and gain short-term super strength or heightened metabolism, etc.

This would be similiar to what did Geoff did for Lu, but even witht that power boost Paul isn't giving Lu any face time either.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Has there been any evidence of Tenz actually regaining full Legion membership? It may have been as a personal favor to R.J. that he went on the 21st Century mission, and never reigned his seat on the Bismoll Senate, merely seeking a sabbatical of sorts which ended upon his return.

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Well, Cosmic Boy said he resigned, so apparently he was a member again for a while.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.