Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics #518 - SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics #518 - SPOILERS
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Nope, that would be Tom and Mary!

If you don't have their Sourcebook, try to get it.
It is HUGELY entertaining, with personal journal pages, haiku by Brainy, reports, magazine gossip (where most of the birthdays and Legion joining dates appear), and lots of other information.

There's also a lot of references to 'Black Dawn', a story that happened during the 5 year gap.
Maybe, it'll be a story we get now.

It makes sense to me that as the original Legionnaires age, that the over all age of those admitted would get older, too.
With exceptions, of course.
The only way they could practically keep the Legion so young, imo, would be to have two, or more, Legions going at once, or dismiss Legionnaires as they cross the age limit.

I would prefer cadet status for Legionnaires under 18, and have an Academy book.
Some might think that it might be too much like the X-Men but it wouldn't be for me.

[ September 13, 2010, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
The only way they could practically keep the Legion so young, imo, would be to have two, or more, Legions going at once, or dismiss Legionnaires as they cross the age limit.

The Puerto Rican band Menudo was organized on that principle -- it was a boy band whose members were dismissed when they got too old.

I kind of like the idea of having an upper age limit for new members, though, because it would mean that there would be several generations of Legionnaires at once (Maybe literally, once Graym and Garridan turned 14).

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
I loved it when the High Seer of Naltor mentions the crystal message capsule!! Having the prediction come from Nura instead of the Trylops council of Mernl is a great touch!!

Actually, Paul only downgraded the Mernl council to mere middlemen of Naltor, as Beren mentioned that he would send Nura's warning through indirect agents. The major continuity blip would be Nura seeing a Legion ring which at that original point in time, weren't extant. Considering Naltor's elaborate network of operatives, plus the mystifying fact that Zaryan "The Invader" (not quite the same menacing epiphet as "The Conqueror") had no idea how Naltor knew of their attack, it seems that Paul is establishing their prophetic powers as a planetary-wide secret (much like the Symbiot/Trill revelation in Star Trek:TNG) which presumably is uncovered when Nura initally joins the Legion.

Don't quite get the reasoning that Mon-El is behind the ghostly voice, how could he know of any danger to Kal? Could he spy on Naltor from the Zone? Why only warn Kal and not the rest of the Legionnaires?

[ September 14, 2010, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Korbal ]

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue was entertaining but seemed a bit short. Can't we have more Legion and less Atom?

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
We should start an on-line petition to get rid of that pesky little Atom guy who's gobbling up our precious Legion real estate on Adventure!
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
On another thread, we find out that it's the Legion leaving Adventure, not Atom.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
IMO The Atom's the best part about this book. I'd rather lose a bland Legion story than a good Atom one.

That said, this was probably the best of the Legion in Nu-Adventure stories to date. (Which isn't really saying much, I know.) But the story and art this time were firmly OK, which is an improvement.

The worst thing about this title IMO is that it has exactly none of the charm or imagination that the original Adventure Comics had. I want people who are reading this book who've never read an Advenutre-era tale to be inspired to go back and read all those great stories. But why would they after reading this run?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Blacula. The Atome is really what's keeping me interested in reading this book every month.

I also agree that this was the best Legion issue since Paul took over.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
The Atom stories have been excellent, haven't they? This is the first time I've read Lemire, but I can see why he has the buzz he does. He does something I wish Paul could do a little better, and that's get inside the head of the character with regard to the character's powers. I think Tyroc & Sensor Girl REALLY need this treatment, among others.

Having said that, I really liked the Legion stories the last 2 issues, particularly the portrayal of Cos's powers. First, I love the "sproing/sproink" sound effect. Along with that, I LIKE that Cos is really having to push his powers to do something other than play magnoball. That amateurishness was logical and relevant to the story, for all the Legionnaires.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey DC...check out the Atom thread in Dr, G;s forum. Me and Blacula talk about the Ray and the latest story there every month.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Can you provide the link for Dr. G's Forum?
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I'm not positive, but I think he means Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities under the heading Legion Companions on the Legion World home page.
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002262

[ October 04, 2010, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------

Come, join me!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.