Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!!
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Probably not. There's a bunch of people who don't care for Giffen. I'm sure they will be showing up soon. [Big Grin]

For LSH only my take is:

Giffen WITH Levitz = Awesome

Giffen WITHOUT Levitz = Major Suckitude

JMHO

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
its great that there's even going to BE an LSH annual!

[ July 29, 2010, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Gorilla Nebula ]

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, that's true! When was the last one?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The Legends of the Dead Earth stuff, right?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved his art, back in the day, then he went all blocky face and jackets-to-hide-the-lack-of-bodies (which, granted, must have saved him hours, not having draw anything but jackets, legs and a bunch of identical heads), and I was not so impressed.

But, as Gorilla Nebula says, it's great just to have an annual, and I'd be thrilled if it was in the animated style, let alone in Giffen's blockheaded purse-lipped 'Lego Legion' style.

As long as he doesn't pointlessly ressurect and kill Val again. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The Annual would be the best time ever for a 6 page back-up that very clearly defines the Legion timeline but yet leaves tons of room for fan interpretation and online arguing!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
[QB]As long as he doesn't pointlessly resurrect and kill Val again. [Smile]

The LSH Annual will be titled "The Return of Karate Kid".

Oops, it's actually titled "The REBURN of Karate Kid". There will also be a variant cover of the climactic scene in 3-D, since at least that hasn't been done yet ...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the last thing Giffen did on Legion was that story with Bouncing Boy and Cub and I thought it was pretty awful.

I'm sure it did save him lots of time hiding everybody's faces in black shadow and repeating the same panels over and over on his 9 panel grid.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I think the last thing Giffen did on Legion was that story with Bouncing Boy and Cub and I thought it was pretty awful.

I'm sure it did save him lots of time hiding everybody's faces in black shadow and repeating the same panels over and over on his 9 panel grid.

I loved the art, but thought the story was pretty dull and silly, as was most of the Reboot. He didn't write it though.

And I love blocky art Giffen. But that's because I like more artistic material and he was the pace supreme at that period. Most people seem to forget how incredible his storytelling capabiliities were, especially with such constrained board.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The only Giffen art style I haven't liked is 'abstract-squiggles Giffen', which he used on TRENCHER and also on a couple pages during TMK featuring the SW6 and McCauley.

LOVED 'blocky/covered eyes/big-lips-on-chicks Giffen! (Heckler/ TMK)'

In Booster Gold 34, his pages are not blocky and shadowy at all. They are light but more cartoony, kinda like the Ambush Bug minis with thinner inks.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
While I like the synergy of Levitz/Giffen, I do not like his artwork since well before Omen and the Prophet.

The artwork he did on that Legends cover made me cringe.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
BIG Giffen fan here. BIG. HUGE.

[Big Grin]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
All criticism aside, if Levitz and Giffen can make lightning strike again (their first Legion Annual #1 was amazing) then I will shut up, never criticize Giffen again and wear a pink nellie hat...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Am I the only one not looking forward to this?

I'm with you!
NO GIFFEN PLEASE!!!
Ya, he used to be good but that hasn't been the case, in my opinion of coarse, for a loooooong time! His work these days is hideous ... and that's being positive, seriously.
If Giffen draws the Legion Annual I may not buy it at all.

P.S. Just look at the variant cover for DC Universe Legacies #6 ... I rest my case.

[ July 29, 2010, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: future king ]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Am I the only one not looking forward to this?

Indeed not!

This isn't 80s Giffen. I think he's capable of doing layouts, but I don't want to see full pencils.

His writing doesn't do much for me either.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.