Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » R.E.B.E.L.S. #1, plus Action #874 and GLC #33 Spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: R.E.B.E.L.S. #1, plus Action #874 and GLC #33 Spoilers
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Rocket Cat -- cool name.

From what I remember, the first few issues of the original L.E.G.I.O.N. (boy, is that a pain to type) were great from a character and mythology perspective -- they built on the excellent Invasion event, and really brought the space environment of the 30th century Legion into the 20th century DCU, to great advantage, and gave us a lot of good stuff, especially on Colu and Durla. There was some good comedy too. If you go back and read those issues, you will see the prototype for the way Brainiac 5 is portrayed for decades to come, especially the 3boot and what Matthew E calls the retroboot (the Johnsboot). Unfortunately, to my mind the series succumbed to the virus that has afflicted every team book since the 1980s -- the team must fall apart, preferably destroyed from within by one of its own, and then be rebuilt in some radically different manner. Giffen has been a serial abuser of this trope since the late 1980s and it's why I don't ever want him near the Legion again except as a reader (and a paying one, at that). But like I said, those first issues of the dot Legion were very influential for much that has come after.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked this up on a whim at the comic store (I had a gift certificate). Really enjoyed it. I only ever read a smattering of the L.E.G.I.O.N. title, it was out before my time. So I don't really know who anyone is except Virl.

But yeah, lots of zip in the dialogue, nice set-up, good dose of action (which most first issues miss these days, they are all set-up no action), you also have a nice reason to come back, the robot takeover.

So yeah, pleasantly surprised and will check this out when issue #2 comes out.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
Why do you say that? I haven't seen the issue yet.

They show someone that strongly resembles him in the backup Omens and Origins story in one panel. I'm not 100% certain it's him, because they only show the back of his head...it's just that I can't think of many characters that share his distinguishing head features.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
Why do you say that? I haven't seen the issue yet.

They show someone that strongly resembles him in the backup Omens and Origins story in one panel. I'm not 100% certain it's him, because they only show the back of his head...it's just that I can't think of many characters that share his distinguishing head features.
It's more likely to be Dubbilex.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Good call. If it was Cham then you'd think the silhouette would have pointy ears.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dubbilex was my first thought but Dubbilex doesn't have antennae, he's got horns, and those are definitely antennae. And Dubbilex has pointy ears too...

-  -

The silhouette definitely has antennae with rounded tips ala Cham. And Tellus is in the same picture.

It certainly might not be Cham but they put that character in silhouette for a reason, and I don't think they'd do it if it was just Dubbilex.

[ February 16, 2009, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Yk
between boots

Oops.
Shutting up.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

I just wish I had access to a scanner so all interested parties could see the silhouette, it would definitely spark some discussion.
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

A-ha so this where the discussion on this title was! Thanks for the link Nightcrawler.

I'll just give a major kudos to Tony Bedard for this issue. He's a very under-rated writer IMO.

Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the picture but I can't post it. If someone tells me how I'll put it up.

It certainly looks like Cham's antennae but not his ears. And Tellus is out of the specimen jar

[ February 16, 2009, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Silver Age Lad ]

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Two thoughts after just flipping through the book:

- Tribulus looks like Validus crossed with a toaster

- If Wildstar and Darkfire end up becoming merged to create Wildfire, I'll be severely pissed off...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot Dubbilex had horns, not antennae. My new theory is that it's Xenofobe! [Wink]

The ACTION COMICS #874 page in question -

Click for fullsize image

Xenofobe's only appearance from Superman #295 -

Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Wow!
I don't think I've ever seen that page before. Thanks NC.

Going by Duo Damsel's costume that would be during the Cockrum or Grell run on Superboy and the Legion. (Just guessing there) So Earth's sector actually had a Green Lantern somewhere around the mid 2970's.

Nightcrawler
Founder

SUPERMAN #295 (January 1976)...I've been trying to convince the L3W readers of this fact for months.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^ Gosh I love that era of comics!

Though Xenofobe does seem to be a wholly inappropriate name for a Green Lantern.

As for the silhouette - I think it probably is Cham. Xenofobe is so obscure that even if they'd shown his whole body no one but Gary would've known who he is, and Dubbilex has horns not antennae (not to mention that he died a couple of months ago).

P.S. Am I the only person who hates the fact that the Guardian surfs around on his shield now? It looks so dopey.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.