Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz talks Legion (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Levitz talks Legion
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Two other things of note from the interview: the baseball game in Adventure #12 was a riff on an old Superboy story, The One Man Baseball Team, which appeared in the Adventure issue that featured the Beast Boy story.

Re: R.J. Brande, Paul says "I ripped off his speech pattern years ago from a great Pol Anderson character, Nicholas van Rijn, wonderful science fiction character... a futuristic Scandinavian rich baron of space, who alternated between being surrounded by serving girls and outsmarting aliens, outsmarting other civilizations and making gazillions of dollars. Brande doesn't do the serving girls because it's the wrong species for him."

I haven't read Anderson's books with the van Rijn character, but here's some of what Wikipedia has on him:

Nicholas van Rijn (2376 to c. 2500 A.D.) is a fictional character who plays the central role in the first half of Poul Anderson's Technic History. He is a flamboyant capitalist adventurer, and is Dutch, apparently a resident of Djakarta. His speech is bombastic and heavily laced with unconventional constructs, puns, oaths, and words from various Northern European languages, in particular Dutch, German, and possibly Danish. Although he frequently employs malapropisms such as "Angular-Saxon" or "hunky-dinghy," they are often so devious or apropos that it is difficult to believe they are unintentional. Anderson seems to have enjoyed writing this sort of dialog, and some of his more minor characters have used a similar patois.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Quite honestly I though that it was speculated somewhere that he is trying to depict a French- Canadian accent (after all, his name is a French one).

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
PAUL LEVITZ Explains Changes To ADVENTURE, LEGION Elections
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
can't wait to vote for the legion leader....I know who I want to vote! [Big Grin]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
PAUL LEVITZ Explains Changes To ADVENTURE, LEGION Elections

Coming soon to a store near you - Adventure Comics featuring the Green Lantern Corps in the 31st century

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggard Lad
S'up?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haggard Lad   Email Haggard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like that he's giving Matter-Eater Lad a page in #6 after seeing our reaction to the one line write-off.

And I'm excited to get to vote for Legion leader. I wasn't a Legion reader when the previous reader elections were held, so I'm glad I get to be a part of the new ones. [Smile]

--------------------
The Secret Origin of Haggard Lad!

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
As much as I don't appreciate his one-line writeoff of Tenzil, I **LOVE** that he listened to fans who were upset by that (I wasn't the only one!!) and is making it right.

I think it pays to sometimes follow the oldschool-fanboy-pleasing-isms of Geoff Johns. (At one time, back in the day, Geoff seemed to be writing comics just for ME...)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz always gives a good interview!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
You notice how Paul avoids, as much as he can, any subject related to Green Lantern?
It make me wonder if this is something he supports or was just given orders to oversee.

The idea of a 31st century group of Lanterns is not a new one ... the recently cancelled cartoon/comic beat them to the punch with that one.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.