Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS! (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS!
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
(snip)

quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
Sorry to upset you.
[Frown]

Bats has already done a Legion story, during the Lightning Saga, I think.

More exasperated than upset, really.

Batman is essentially what TV Tropes calls a Canon Sue, all over the DC-verse. And I've never had any real love for the "Dark Knight" phase, personally.

Even with characters I do like, there's such a thing as overexposure.

I'd make an exception for this kind of story if the Bat-character was totally out of his element in the future, had no idea what the hell he was doing, and actually had to rely on other people to take some initiative on his behalf. IOW, the opposite of what we usually see when Batman shows up to suck the air out of every team by being Always Right/The Axis Around Which Everything Else Must Revolve.

[ August 27, 2009, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

Instead of *every* Kryptonian / Daxamite gaining planet-shaking power under a yellow sun, I'd rather it be that the long spaceship journey undertaken by both Kal and Lar exposed them to something special, that allowed them to convert solar energy into vast power. Perhaps the process required falling through a spatial distortion, or into a black hole, or a journey that went horribly wrong and took *millenia*, so that it can't be easily replicated to pump out hundreds of super-people, super-dogs, super-cats, super-monkeys, etc.

agreed. I much prefer the idea that there *were* such races, but no longer are.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
PS - I think Blockade Boy is right about Krypto. If Superboy or the Legion OR COMICS IN GENERAL are to survive, there needs to be things for the younger kids too. Especially in the Superman-related titles above all others. So Krypto is either a welcome bit of nostalgia or a necessary evil depending on the viewpoint.

Maybe. But I'm not sold on that reading-age kids necessarily want to see super-powered pets, except maybe in a funny-animal-verse of their own.

There is a lot of stuff aimed at kids that kids don't necessarily latch onto. Kids of today have far more entertainment options than we did at their age, and by nature its going to be a certain breed that will latch onto comics for more than 15 minutes.

I commend the idea of reaching out to kids, but (1) every time DC or Marvel have done so, it generally falls rather flat (even with a reasonably successful TV/film tie-in to sponge off of), (2) there is no need to dumb down general-audience comics in hopes that it will cause kids to latch onto it, and (3) adults who want to reach kids may have good intentions but don't know how to follow through - bigger corporations than any comics company have people paid to study trends and tastes and I can't see either Marvel or DC making that kind of effort/investment.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't consider superpets as a dumbing down.

There are many hero animals in history and in this day and age.
Many gave their lives for the people and other animals that they loved.

As for animals with 'powers', they're everywhere in literature and movies.

The Avatar had 2 companion animals with him and there were many more superpowered and supernatural animals in his story.

Given the popuiarity of penguins the last few years, I'm suprised Kal hasn't picked up a super Kryptonian one for Lois, yet.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess for me there's too much baggage from the Silver Age and beyond, re: super-pets.

The Krypto back-up in early 80s Superboy stands out in memory: the dog thought like a person and even had a secret identity.

The well's still too polluted for me... but I did approve of Morrison's handling of Krypto in All-Star.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Given the popuiarity of penguins the last few years, I'm suprised Kal hasn't picked up a super Kryptonian one for Lois, yet.

Sounds good to me! [Wink]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
But do we want one with happy feet or one who's a ninja and comes with a crazy lemur king?
[Confused]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I DO agree about the cape, it's silly.
But I know LOTS of people who put clothes on their dogs.
Maybe, Krypto should have a red bandana with an S on it, rather than a cape.
[Smile]

On that note I give you...
A costumed Dog

Edit: different site same pic better comments.

[ August 31, 2009, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: googoomuck ]

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh dear God, that poor dog.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Here guys, the preview for AD 2. And I already pointed out the flaw to the artist.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/09/03/experience-adventure-comics-2-superboy-and-the-legion-of-super-heroes/

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
What flaw?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Look at the Legion pages, and play "Where's the Tattoo"?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

What tatoo?
[LOL]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It went away with Garth's shave.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
The artist's rendering of Garth's costume is REALLY unflattering. The white mid-section makes him look like he's wearing a giant diaper. I know these guys are old and all now, but do they have to wear super-depends on the OUTSIDE of their costumes? Seriously, the artist should just change the costume.

Part of it is, too, that his Lightning Lad is a really ... beefy guy. I think it's good to have the Legionnaires present different body types, although I guess I always thought of Cosmic Boy as the shorter, beefy, chunky, magnetic lodestone guy and Lightning Lad as light and skinny, like lightning. But whatever. The diversity of sizes is welcome regardless.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Part of it is, too, that his Lightning Lad is a really ... beefy guy. I think it's good to have the Legionnaires present different body types, although I guess I always thought of Cosmic Boy as the shorter, beefy, chunky, magnetic lodestone guy and Lightning Lad as light and skinny, like lightning.

Heh, with all the artistic changes, I tended to think of them the opposite. Former Magno-ball champion Cos as a thin tennis-player build guy and former farm-boy LL as a taller guy with broader shoulders!

When all of the male characters have the same generic 'Captain America' build, I guess we just invent our own distinctions to place over them!

Totally agree on the giant diaper thing 'though. That costume is hideous. Garth has almost always had much better costumes than that.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.