Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!! (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
An alpha male might like to have two females in a 3 way relationship, but I think it would only really work for him if he had relationships with both females in a 3som.

But, that would be for Earth humans, and none of these are actually from Earth, but rather, from Earth colonies (still?) that have changed genetically, rather drastically.

Just looking at how they've been portrayed over the years, Ayla might be comfortable with an alpha male and alpha female as mates, but if she is, why would she object to Imra?
She wouldn't HAVE to share in her brother, as well, but just staying with Imra and Brin.
And if Ayla were like that, why would Garth care if Imra 'coupled' with another couple, since he'd most likely have the same moral set as the rest of the Winathians?

Salu, I don't know about, because she was made into a lesbian by a terrible experience and a neglectful male relationship.
I've seen quite a few of those 'changes' with women over the years.
A lot of them that I've known have been fairly unstable in their orientation.

The whole thing is a little more complicated than just going to bed with each other, really.
If you want it to make sense, anyway.

[ December 02, 2010, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Salu, I don't know about, because she was made into a lesbian by a terrible experience and a neglectful male relationship.
I've seen quite a few of those 'changes' with women over the years.
A lot of them that I've known have been fairly unstable in their orientation.

I don't think that I can even begin to express how OFFENSIVE I find that. No One is 'made into a Lesbian' by any experience. They either are atracted to one gender, or the other, or both. Salu was obviously atracted to both and ended up with Ayla, but could have just as easily ended up with another guy if one had been emotionally close to her at the time. The same goes for Ayla. Your attitude about the fictional characters and the real-life women you briefly mentioned is VERY disturbing. And disrespectful. And WRONG.

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
But the experiences she cites ARE what we have "on paper"/in print that are the events that happened prior to Salu and Ayla's relationship.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Those experiences happened, but they did not 'make' her a lesbian. She had those experiences, she appearently was atracted to females as well as males and she was close to Ayla who was also appearently atracted to females as well as males. The closeness developed into something more and they ended up in a relationship together. I also notice that you didn't mention that Candlelight also spoke of "quite a few of those 'changes' with women over the years" that presumably refferences REAL women and not fictional characters. Further stated was "A lot of them that I've known have been fairly unstable in their orientation". How is Candlelight qualified to make this determintion? I hate to use such terms, but this looks like an obvious case of stupidity and bigotry from where I am reading.

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
You are reading too much into her words I think, reading things that she isn't saying.

And I don't think you call this an obvious case of anything other than someone typing in and posting observences she has made.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
But the experiences she cites ARE what we have "on paper"/in print that are the events that happened prior to Salu and Ayla's relationship.

Agreed.

I was reading these stories as they first came out (ignore pun). As I understand it, Levitz did not intend to put Ayla and Vi in a relationship, but along with many other readers at the time, that's how I interpreted it. The trauma Vi went through enabled her to find her strength and go to the other end of the emotional spectrum becoming very aggressive. Vi had been a victim of the "Luornu Syndrome" in which she pined for an unavailable guy to notice her. I don't think that Duplicate Boy's (or Ayla's) gender had anything to do with it. She was in a relationship that wasn't working so she tossed it.
It was only later that I found that many fans had seen these events as Vi "turning" gay. As a gay guy perhaps it was unrealistically optimistic to assume that 1,000 years from now sexual compartmentalism would not still have a social function; however, I could understand how in the present people (readers) might tend to do that. Attitudes may have changed since then, but those original impressions still linger. So be it. The social evolution that has occurred since then has astounded me and filled me with gratitude, even more so because it shows no sign of stopping until equality has been realized.
I the years that I have been a member of Legion World I have never felt anything but support for me, my sexuality, and how I choose to identify myself. Legion World has more than earned the benefit of the doubt if the wording of an opinion here initially rubs me the wrong way.
Perhaps the writers of 30 years ago presented a story in a way that was open to missinterpretation. Perhaps readers at the time took or expressed things in a manner less than politically correct. It's ok for people today to comment on these, or even to reiterate them. It is also ok for people to tell of their experiences, so long as they don't present them as evidence, but merely as examples of a viewpoint.
I read Candlelight's comment of "A lot of them that I've known have been fairly unstable in their orientation" as she's known people who identify themselves a lesbians who have also dated men. I would find that a little confusing too! I have had trysts with guys who called themselves straight. So I call them straight. Go fig.
We live in an ever-shrinking world that is trying to become a peaceful, cooperative family. This ain't gonna happen if we can't be comfortable with each other or have to walk on eggshells. We have quite a family going on here on Legion World and I love being a part of it.
But for the record: Ayla can date a guy if she wants to, but please, pleeeeease don't let it be Brin!

[smooch]

[ December 02, 2010, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: KryptonKid ]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
And just whut's wrong with Brin?

I mean, it's not like he's muh favorite character in tha legion er' nuthin!

[Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I get that there's more than one way to interpret most relationships in an ongoing narrative, including this one.

Gotta' say, though: "Unstable" is a pretty poor choice, word-wise. Not thrilled with it myself.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
DC site now have this listed as a Jan. 19 release date.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ultrajo:
DC site now have this listed as a Jan. 19 release date.

Is this true?? [Mad]
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
It is true. Funny, as Giffen's usually a fast artist. I wonder if Paul's script was late (or changed)?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
It is true. Funny, as Giffen's usually a fast artist. I wonder if Paul's script was late (or changed)?

Story maybe rewritten cuz of the leadership election results?

:planetarychancemachine: [Tizzles]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brody27
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brody27           Edit/Delete Post     
Not very professional, is it. A deadline for a one off issue should be met, or an explanation given to the anticipated readers.
From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
3 weeks late = it's gonna ROCK even more!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by KryptonKid:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:

Story maybe rewritten cuz of the leadership election results?
When Shrinking Violet won the Legion Leader voting, she couldn't be killed off in the Annual, so the Giffen re-write includes a surprise appearance by Karate Kid just before the climax...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.