Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Earthwar Saga- a significant turning point for the legion? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Earthwar Saga- a significant turning point for the legion?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I think so. At this point you had Sherman doing some amazing art (shame it was cut so short), and you had, i believe, the first real multi-issue storyline (as opposed to a two parter if i remember correctly) that carried over with consequences for more than just an issue or two.

Some folks may make an arguement for the death of Lightning Lad and the quest to restore him, but to me this is the first significant point.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
So tell me when did Earth War start? Through what issues did it run through?
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #241 through #245. Cover dates July trhough November 1978.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I completely agree with rickshaw about Sherman's artwork. Very nice! I think this is one of the best story arcs in Legion history.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the story was kind of schizophrenic, with the Khunds and Dominators and then Mordru. However, I suppose I'm overdue to re-read it.

Sherman's artwork was *unparalled* IMO, which made Joe Staton's work, along with his stable of terrible inkers, even worse. That took a LOT of the steam out if it for me. One redeeming detail is the excellent Galactic Coordinator appearance, though.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I absolutely loved the Earthwar saga. I was new to the Legion, and didn't know anything about it's history at all when I read these as part of the whitman 3 packs. I didn't know a Legionniare from a Substitute from a Reversist (I used to misread Reservist as Reversists...). I didn't know Karate Kid had been in the 20th Century or who most of the team was that was showing up in all those giant test tubes the Dominators had them in, but I couldn't get enough of it all!!! And Sherman's artwork was brilliant!!!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, definitely a turning point. I came to the Legion a few years later, and they would refer to Earthwar all the time and I didn't know what it was. Then I finally found the back issues, and... wow! They really ought to release all five issues together in TPB form.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Those last 3 issues deserve to be re-inked if a trade is ever issued.

Sherman's artwork was indeed magnificent but the rush-job on the last 3 issues really did EARTHWAR in for me.

Like Dean, however, I'm overdue for a re-read.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue 242 was the high point of Sherman's career. I remember reading that he decided to leave the series because he felt underappreciated, but on his last issue, he did the best artwork he was capable of, in order to show his employers what they would be missing.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read it! I've heard so many good things about it I decided to check it out finally.

Ok, I have to say this is probably an arc that was explosive/dynamic if you were a monthly reader back when it came out. I don't know what came before (trust me I will check that out as well) but this was pretty exciting even now.

I agree Sherman was a good artist. His big faces and close-ups rocked. I'm somewhat of a Staton fan as well and to tell the truth I didn't see much of a change. I credit Staton for using a similiar style? What's that inking called when the shadows are b&w dots? I miss that in comics.

I never really read any pre-Giffen comics. A handful at the most. Now I know what you guys mean about Levitz's first run. (is this considered part of his first?)

I admit I had to read it twice to really get everything. Maybe I read it quick the first time. Levitz did a good job recapping everything though each issue.

Things I liked? The interaction between characters. I always loved how the members bickered. It reminds you of a workplace doesn't it? It starts off with Mon-El complaining about Wildfire. The Element Lad/Sun Boy team. These two characters got lots of action time. Nice to see both of them cut loose. I liked Element Lad saving the day at the end. Why? Because I thought of that myself and his comment earlier about losing his world.

I love WEBER'S world. Maybe I'm a sucker for artifical small worlds like LW. I liked the politics. I liked the Dark Circle. (i've always loved them). I loved the mystery!!! I loved seeing the members being POWERFUL! No real cop outs.

What I didn't like? Mordu. I know it added to the mystery and it was a big reveal? But maybe if subplot had given us more clues. Like a magic bird showing up at Legion HQ instead of Officer Erin. Was this Erin's first appearance?

Basically this story had great action, mystery, character interaction and emotion. I rank it pretty high.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longevity Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longevity Lad   Email Longevity Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting this arc being remembered at this transition time. Just a comparison between this month's first page and that opening full page of Earthwar speaks volumes. If I were a new reader then, that opening page would make me want to stay for the series; no way this current issue's first page would have a similar affect. Quite the opposite, actually.
"The hope of the future can be found in the past."

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Jorg, yes this is the first appearance of Shvaughn, and the first time we really got to see Weber's World and the ambassadors. That added so much to the story IMO.

I love this story, its one of my favorites. I'd say the best non-Adventure story up until GDS. Tons of action, tons of dynamics b/t various Legionnnaires and just about every Legionnaire has a moment.

I like the Mordru reveal. IIRC, this is only the second time Mordru battles the Legion in the comics (re: not counting the 'untold tale' and not counting his flashback battle with Superboy in the Action backups). That makes it a pretty major reveal!

Mordru, the Khunds, the Dominators, the Dark Circle--so many great Legion enemies that captured so much of the Legion's past. This was the GDS before the GDS.

It had everything: Action! Adventure! Suspense! Internal tension in the Legion! Romance! Returns of old Legionnaires! Returns of great villain! Political cosmic drama! New characters and settings! Not many comics in 2007 can brag about the same.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I didn't know this was only the second time they fight Mordu. That makes a difference and a big deal.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
There's also the pretty forgettable fake Cosmic Boy story in Superboy, but, yeah, this is pretty much Mordru's second major appearance.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll agree that "Earthwar" was a major turning point for the Legion, rick, but the first turning point? Probably not. My vote for that would go to the Bates/Cockrum era of new costumes, new members, and retiring old members in the early '70s.

In my opinion, the lasting legacy of "Earthwar" is that it proved that a Marvel-style multiple-issue story could work for the Legion. (Why no one had attempted to do this before remains a mystery to me.) It showed that writers such as Levitz could be amibitious in telling "large" Legion stories, instead of stories that utilized only a few characters and villains acting in petty ways.

Another legacy of "Earthwar," which I also mentioned in my "Great Darkness -- Revisited" thread, is that Levitz tried to show meaningful consequences of the war. Earth was plunged into a depression, and Brande was bankrupt (after the president stole his funds to feed the poor). The Legion had to fend for itself in rebuilding its headquarters (destroyed by Omega in # 251), and they also assisted Brande in rebuilding his fortune (which was understandable in a familial sort of way -- Brande was the Legion's "father" -- but it also showed the Legionnaires acting as mercernaries or as a commercial enterprise. I don't recall anyone questioning this portrayal at the time, but perhaps someone should have. It would have made the consequences of the Earthwar even more significant by showing how people's loyalties can be divided in times of crisis.)

I should go back and re-read those issues, too, before making further judgments. But, for right now, I believe "Earthwar" was a valuable stepping stone on the way to "GDS" and the more mature and meaningful stories that followed in the Levitz/Giffen and Giffen/Bierbaums eras.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.