Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legend of Valor -- Visited (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Legend of Valor -- Visited
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
... not revisited, because I hadn't read his v.4 history until a few days ago. The gist of it is certainly well-known – Seeder of Worlds, Dominion War in the 20th century, inspiration for the Legion, Glorith, the Buffer Zone, etc. – but this is the first time I’ve sat down and actually read LSH Annual # 2, in spite of having purchased it, along with several other v.4 issues, more than three years ago. Why the delay? I’m not sure: real life intervening, lack of interest in most of v.4, adverse reaction to the name “Valor,” take your pick.

But after re-reading and reviewing Levitz’s twilight Legion stories to see how they held up after twenty years, I’ve been slowly catching up with v.4, as well. So, I’ll present my thoughts on “The Legend of Valor” n the usual manner: Plot Summary, General Impressions, and Verdict. Again, no attempt is made to hide SPOILERS. I do invite everyone to share their thoughts as the thread progresses.

Legion of Super-Heroes (v.4) Annual # 2, published in 1991, was written by Tom & Mary Bierbaum, with pencils by Brandon Peterson, inks by Scott Hanna, and colors by Tom McCraw (whose work contributes mightily to the mood of the story).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I. Plot Summary

In the 30th century, dissent breaks out among the leaders of the Dark Circle, who are angry over their recent failure to conquer Carggg. One member, the N’croni “castover,” accuses the rest of letting the “demonic light” of objective knowledge corrupt their devotion to darkness and the “blood emotions.” For this heresy, he is sentenced to hear the “mythic of Valor,” a legend of some importance to the Dark Circle. Accompanied by another Dark Circle leader, the Dolminae castover, the N’Croni journeys into the Forest of Death, where he encounters three reciters who tell the tale:

After summarizing Valor’s birth on Daxam and association with Vril Dox, and briefly describing his encounter with a time traveler (Ultra Boy?), the reciters get into the meat of the story: Valor flies to an alien world where he attempts free human prisoners upon whom the Dominators are experimenting, but finds his efforts stymied by a horrifying fact: many of the prisoners are encased in a mutagene tank and he cannot remove them without killing them. Realizing he needs help, Valor seeks allies in a resistance group called the Sub-Domina and, later, in a renegade group of Dominion thinkers known for the diamond-shaped emblems in their disks. Together, they liberate the humans and defeat the ruling castes on the Dominon’s homeworld, Elia. Valor and his allies prevent the Dominators from destroying their homeworld and, for their crimes against their own kind, Valor sentences them to be stripped of their hierarchical disks and to live the rest of their lives as untouchables. He then banishes the non-renegade scientists of the Dominion from their world. (These scientists, we learn, colonize the world of Dolminus, which later joins the Dark Circle.)

Later, Valor persuades many of the altered humans, who now have a variety of super-powers, to colonize worlds between earth and the Dominion – worlds such as Winath, Tharr, Carggg, and Bismoll – to protect earth, should the Dominion try to invade again. Later still, he meets Glorith and is initially taken with her until she reveals her plans of conquest. When Valor rejects her, she traps him in the Buffer Zone, where he remains for a thousand years until rescued by the Legion. Once freed, he is worshiped as a god by the descendants of the people he saved, whose colonized worlds have grown into prosperous civilizations. But Valor rebuffs their worship, telling them to save it for real gods.

As daybreak arrives, the two Dark Circle leaders end their audience with the reciters. The N’croni grudgingly admits that “the knowledge is of considerable use” and that “someday, somehow, [Valor’s] influence over the galaxy must be eradicated.”

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

II. General Impressions

A. Use of Characters

1. Although this is Valor’s story, it doesn’t feel like it. He never changes as a result of this story; in fact, he remains utterly (and annoyingly) consistent throughout. Valor is the virtuous hero, the Christ-like figure who makes all the right decisions, who has the best interests of humans at heart, and who never experiences a range of emotions, other than occasional bursts of anger. He is also the hero who is betrayed by a woman and sentenced to unjust imprisonment. In the end, he is also the hero who humbly rejects being elevated by the people who owe him so much. There are elements of Joseph Campbell’s Hero of a Thousand Faces in this, which is the same source George Lucas tapped for Star Wars. Unlike Luke Skywalker, however, Valor does not come off as a human being. Instead, the writers seem to deify him just as the 30th century inhabitants do. As a result, he seems remote: unknown and unknowable – which is fine for a god, but not for the protagonist of a super-hero story.

2. Valor’s one indication of change comes when he realizes he needs help in freeing the altered humans. One can imagine that this is a major concession for him as he is shown waging a one-man war against the Dominion. Too, he might be unwilling to trust others after his association with Vril Dox. But the reader is left to guess all this, as the writers never address it.

3. Instead, the one character who does change is the N’croni castover, who comes to realize there is value in learning things (which is what I’ve been trying to tell my students!). But he’s not an important character, or at least not one I care about. Further, the ending – where the N’croni concludes that “something must be done” about Valor -- is weak. Something must be done about gas prices, the War in Iraq, and illiteracy, too. Everybody knows that, already.

4. Several supporting characters are introduced, but little is done with them. They serve a plot purpose, nothing more, and so do not come off as interesting or well-developed characters. The only one I care about is 362, the number-named female Dominator, whose death comes unexpectedly and tragically.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

B. Evaluation of Plot

1. The plot concerning Valor’s battle with the Dominion and seeding of worlds is fine – very good, even. It creates a feeling of war, of much being at stake, and of the lengths people will go to – both to be free and to stay in power. I also like it that, for all his power, Valor has a limitation – he needs help. And, although a lot of action going on, it keeps the story moving.

2. Where the plot fails, in my opinion, is at the beginning and at the end. Too little information is given about Valor’s back story for the reader to understand why he wages a one-man war against the Dominion and why he cares so much about earth. Sure, we are told that his father died in the war, but we aren’t told anything else about their relationship. It would have been helpful to see his father and how Lar related to him, so we can get a picture of how devastating it must have been to lose him.

The Glorith and Legion scenes are tacked on. They are there because they’re expected to be there, and this demonstrates one of the problems writers often face in telling stories: the need to focus on one specific event. (I’m reminded of the old Superman: The Secret Years mini-series of the mid-‘80s. The writer, Bob Rozakis, had said in an interview or text piece that he originally wanted to cover all four years of Clark Kent’s college experience. The editor persuaded him to select just one year. Why? Because otherwise the story would be too large and encompass too many unrelated events.) If Glorith and the Legion had to be there, they should have been integrated into the main plot. If not, it would have been better to shorten the lead story and include a back-up story to deal with them. (Actually, the latter option sounds more appealing: It could have afforded the writers an extra opportunity to include character development by showing Valor struggle with his decision: Does he rule with the woman he loves or does he stay true to his principles?)

3. The shadowy cameo of Ultra Boy (?) as the time traveler is distracting. I presume that this refers to some previously published story, but, as presented, it’s just a loose end.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

C. Themes

1. The main theme is knowledge versus ignorance. The Dark Circle keeps its followers in line by having them worship the “blood emotions” rather than embracing the “demonic light” of knowledge. The N’croni castover may be a villain, but at least he has the integrity to believe what his followers believe; the Dolminae castover sees benefit in knowledge, but reserves it for the leaders.

The story effectively portrays the lure of darkness and the suspicions that ignorant people often have of knowledge. The members of the Dark Circle fear that knowledge will corrupt them. They are on a mission to rid the universe of the influence of “the light.” Comparisons between the views of the Dark Circle and the fundamentalist thinking of modern terrorists are inescapable and chilling. It is virtually impossible to reason with someone who has already decided that any knowledge you have to contribute is evil.

Another attitude regarding knowledge and ignorance is found in the upper castes of the Dark Circle. We are told that they regard scientific knowledge as the burden of lower castes. Yet they don’t mind exploiting that knowledge for their own gain, even if it means destroying their own planet and most of its population. Are there analogs of these attitudes today, in corporate CEOs, perhaps?

A subtle contrast with these views can be found in Valor, who recognizes that he needs help in freeing the human captives and soon finds allies who possess the knowledge he lacks. Again, I wish this had been expanded so that this recognition comes as a major revelation to Valor. Instead, he yells “Damn!” and bursts out of the metagene camp before chastising himself for his lack of foresight. The recognition is there, but it’s too abrupt and contains no sense of consequence for Valor. (In other words, N’croni fears he will be corrupted by the light if he learns anything. What does Valor have to fear or lose in his own revelation? His independence perhaps? His unwillingness to trust again? So many opportunities to explore his inner self ... lost!)

2. There is a minor theme of equality of the sexes versus patriarchy. The Dominators do not embrace equality, yet one of their females (362) not only leads the rebellion but sacrifices herself to break the renegade Dominion scientists out of prison. This theme is carried on by Shamarra, the human (and future Tharr colonist) who emerges as a leader to the surprise of one of the renegade Dominion scientists. This theme, though well intentioned, is trite. If the Dominators, as a culture, do not embrace knowledge, then why would it surprise anyone that they (even their rebel scientists) are not liberal minded in other areas? Had this story been published 20 years earlier, this theme might have seemed revolutionary and thought-provoking; but, in 1991, it told readers what most of us already know and accept about equality.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

III. The Verdict

“The Legend of Valor” is a very complicated story that tries to preserve as much of Lar Gand’s Legion history as possible (even to the point of him fighting a Luthor (?) robot), while completely rewriting his back story so that he will serve as a credible inspiration for the Legion and later as a member of the same group. In many ways, Lar seems to resist being “shoehorned” into the role of Superboy/man. Perhaps this is why the writers go to such great lengths to establish his presence as not only a warrior but also general, judge and jury during the war with the Dominators. They also try really hard to establish the war as a conflict of some import, and with significant consequences even a thousand years later. But in trying to convince us of all the wonderful things Lar Gand did in our own time, they’ve forgotten what I consider to be the most essential ingredient in a hero: to make him a human being.

The story has about equal parts flaws and good story telling. But, overall, it can’t hold a candle to the simplicity and charm of Mon-El’s first origin, in Superboy # 89, June 1961. The “big brother” relationship between Lar and Kal in that story became a defining aspect of Lar’s character, an aspect that continued until Superboy’s death and beyond. “The Legend of Valor” offers no similar relationship to compensate for its absence; nor does it even give Valor a family such as Clark Kent had, so we can understand and relate to him better. Instead, it borrows too heavily from mythology and religion in order to cast Lar in the role of Savior of humanity. But Lar Gand is an unwilling savior, and one who is forced to wear the narrative hand-me-downs of Superboy, Jesus Christ, and other mythical figures in lieu of developing his own personal story.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
your thought largely echo my own, although you articulated them in more detail than I ever bothered to.

well done.

Yes, that was Ultra Boy as the time traveler, as told in TMK Annual #1. I also read #2 before #1; #1 tells of the meeting from Jo's persepctive; he and Marla are on Jo's initiation quest as a continuity replacement for SB 98, "The Boy With Ultra Powers." Since there's no Superboy secret ID to figure out, his mission is to find out what happened to Valor.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Annual #1 is highly recommended, BTW. It fits together a number of post-Mordruverse continuity elements into a tight story; it's one I much prefer to #2.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that #1 is much better and highly reccomended. Like Kent, I largely agree with you on this HWW. I read this for the first time about two years ago and although it wasn't a bad read, I wasn't completely enthralled by it. In fact, I might even consider this a reason why I general dislike Mon as Valor, and all that comes with that. I much prefer his original Silver Age origin tale.

While I did like the focus on 20th Century Dominion society, I also did not like the way the Dark Circle was portrayed here, which is completely different than any previous appearance to TMK.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed the Valor Annual. It was one of the last "true annuals" that took some extra space to tell a story that complimented and supplemented what was going on in the main book. Today's annuals are too thin, and too often part of some crossover event.

The Dark Circle was fleshed out and given some needed depth. I found them much more interesting and threatening after reading this story. That added to my enjoyment of reading about them in the main book. The art work added as much as the words in this respect.

In the same way, the Dominators were enhanced for me by this story. 362 was a great character.
Her nobility is especially interesting given the debate surrounding the Dominator "genocide" in the conclusion of the Wak run. She popped into head as soon as people started to debate the concept of a whole race being portrayed as evil and a threat.

I miss your point when you say that a story dealing with the concept of equality would have been revolutionary 20 years earlier, but not so much when this issue was printed. I don't think anyone was trying to be revolutionary. They were trying to tell a good story, and I think they succeeded. I was rooting for the good guys with all my heart, and the topics addressed were more substantive than those addressed in 90% of the comics I've read in my life. I'll give them a pass for not being revolutionary.

I also found the Valor as seeder of worlds concept fascinating. It worked for me so much better than the idea that all of these planets just eveloved differently, and the powers that we see represtented in the Legion just came about accidently in an isolated way on each these worlds. It kind of all flowed pretty well the whole meta gene concept, and events in the Invasion crossover. These ideas seem more realistic and sophisticated to me than everyone gaining their powers by accident.

The issue also worked for me visually. To often, on annuals or special events the artwork gets choppy because of the extra size. I get that feeling of choppiness when I read the previously mentioned Annual #1. This one had a consistent feel that was enhanced by the coloring. I really enjoy picking up this issue and just thumbing through it. It feels good.

If I were to give a letter grade to the Valor Annual it would be an A minus, and I encourage anyone who hasn't read it to try to find a copy.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The one weakness that I agree with is why is Valor waging a war with the Dominators. His father was killed? Ok, more emotion? But I am guessing Daxamites are not the emotional types like the Kryptonians. I would have liked more backstory there as well.

The Valor as perfect savior that makes all the right decisions? Maybe that is why I never liked Superboy. He was too perfect. Valor is taking Superboy's place here after all. But I like the writers showed him asking for help.

I don't think this story is complicated for a modern audience. Sure the original Mon-El origin is simpler and quite silly. I'm not a fan of that stuff. This story ties in to Legion mythos.

Valor as the inspiration works for me. "Valor" works for me as well. (M'onel? UGH!)

I would guess big Superboy fans will not care for this story while big Mon-El fans like myself think he finally got his due? Well maybe not. Jerry seems to be a big Superboy fan and he liked it. [Wink]

[ June 13, 2007, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
your thought largely echo my own, although you articulated them in more detail than I ever bothered to.

well done.

Thanks.

quote:
Yes, that was Ultra Boy as the time traveler, as told in TMK Annual #1. I also read #2 before #1; #1 tells of the meeting from Jo's persepctive; he and Marla are on Jo's initiation quest as a continuity replacement for SB 98, "The Boy With Ultra Powers." Since there's no Superboy secret ID to figure out, his mission is to find out what happened to Valor.
Thanks for clarifying that. Annual # 1 is one issue I don't have yet. Something to look forward to, though.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
The Dark Circle was fleshed out and given some needed depth. I found them much more interesting and threatening after reading this story. That added to my enjoyment of reading about them in the main book. The art work added as much as the words in this respect.

That was one of the highlights for me, as well, Jerry. It gave us a chilling glimpse into their society, and a much more credible glimpse than the "clones of five people" story from way back.

I was confused, though, by the name or title "Castover." It made me think that the leaders were still the originals and everyone else clones.

quote:
I miss your point when you say that a story dealing with the concept of equality would have been revolutionary 20 years earlier, but not so much when this issue was printed. I don't think anyone was trying to be revolutionary. They were trying to tell a good story, and I think they succeeded. I was rooting for the good guys with all my heart, and the topics addressed were more substantive than those addressed in 90% of the comics I've read in my life. I'll give them a pass for not being revolutionary.
My point is that throwing in women's lib as part of the story was trite. In seemed to be an another and unnecessary way of showing the Dominators as bad guys and Valor and his crew as good guys.

quote:
I also found the Valor as seeder of worlds concept fascinating. It worked for me so much better than the idea that all of these planets just eveloved differently, and the powers that we see represtented in the Legion just came about accidently in an isolated way on each these worlds. It kind of all flowed pretty well the whole meta gene concept, and events in the Invasion crossover. These ideas seem more realistic and sophisticated to me than everyone gaining their powers by accident.
Overall, I don't mind Lar being cast in this role, and I agree: The Seeder of Worlds idea is more sophisticated than anything attempted in the original timeline.

My main problem is not with the events depicted, but rather with how they were depicted.

quote:
The issue also worked for me visually.
[/QB]

Agreed. The team of Peterson, Hanna, and McCraw created arresting visuals that told the story and conveyed the proper mood. The full page shot of the Dominion leader addressing his people on page 2 made me pause to appreciate it.

[ June 13, 2007, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... I actually don't think I've ever read this issue myself.

Anyway, I generally despise the whole "Valor" retcon.

One of the things that really irritated me is that in order to have him replace Superboy in continuity, they basically turned his personality into that of Superboy's, and then attributed all of the distinct traits of "Mon-El" to Eltro Gand's influence.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

While writing my verdict, I was thinking along the same lines, Eryk. Superboy always had a certain charisma, a kind of Boy Scout quality that made him appealing (or at least inoffensive).

Mon, who has often been portrayed as brooding or a loner, doesn't fit into that personality type. It just isn't him. Perhaps that's why he comes off as a flat personality in this story.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.