Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Action Comics #27-- The Secret Origin of Matter-Eater Lad? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Action Comics #27-- The Secret Origin of Matter-Eater Lad?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
In this issue, Superman fights an evil couple who run an orphanage/sweat shop. Anyway, the guy tries to fight him by taking after him with a hot poker, which Superman promptly eats, complaining that he usually likes his meals hotter than that! Later the guy tries to hit Superman with an anvil, which he stops with his teeth.

I suspect that twenty years later Jerry Siegel remembered how cool this scene was when he created Matter-Eater Lad!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank Space that super-matter-eating were strictly a Golden-Age Superman power, else poor Tenzil would have been rejected for duplicating a previously-existing Legionnares' power!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Interestingly, Superman's use of super-matter-eating powers predates heat vision, super-breath, and even flight!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
This reminds me of when Superboy and Mon-El ate an UNEARTHLY amount of Ma's pancakes. Do pancakes count as super matter eating?

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Eryk Davis Ester

The three aspects of super-eating powers:

1) Ability to eat anything
2) Ability to eat enormous quantities
3) Ability to eat at tremendous speed

So Supers and Mon-El may very well have been displaying super-eating powers!

It's a good thing that Tenzil was able to eat kryptonite, lead, and inertron, or else his powers just might have been redundant!

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Interestingly, Superman's use of super-matter-eating powers predates heat vision, super-breath, and even flight!

In college a good buddy of mine was a farm-boy. As I was from out of state, he would invite me home some weekends for a bit of family life. After a few of his Ma's homecooked, I could see easily how an lonely alien boy could develop super eating powers on a farm.

Like Star Boy when he lost his S-Boy-like powers, Supes would probably be able to fall back on his super eating should he fall victim to gold-k.

Did they ever resolve how ME Lad was cured of madness? Seems like all that happened off panel. Those alien energies had to have gone somewhere?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Too bad there never was a scene with Tenzil saving Supes by eating kryptonite.... YET.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Such a scene would be pretty pointless, yes? All it would do would be to make MEL k-radioactive, not save Supes. Sitting on it would be marginally more effective.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Tenzil eating kryptonite.... YET.

I sincerely hope we never find out what kind of Kryptonite that'll create.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
No doubt, Super eating and Ma's pancakes were the ultimate source of this nifty little superpower:

-

Incidentally, the Legion REEEEALLY did not want
someone who duplicated that particular power. At all!

And yeap, it was published like that.

[ May 24, 2008, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
This reminds me of when Superboy and Mon-El ate an UNEARTHLY amount of Ma's pancakes. Do pancakes count as super matter eating?

That entirely depends on who cooked the pancakes.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Tenzil eating kryptonite.... YET.

I sincerely hope we never find out what kind of Kryptonite that'll create.
Brown Kryptonite?

--------------------

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The existence/non-existence of super-farting has long been speculated upon around here... thanks for the confirmation.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In the early '70s when all the Kryptonite on Earth was turned to iron, didn't Superman eat a chunk to taunt a villain?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

I think he bit into it and then spit it out. His teeth were strong enough to bite into it, but his stomach would not be able to digest it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.