Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Jim Lee's Legion Designs (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jim Lee's Legion Designs
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey! I just bought Wizard's Jim Lee Millennium Edition and saw these Legion designs in the Sketchbook section -

-

-

Have these been published before? This is the first time I've seen them. And if they were done in 2003, why is "Phantom Girl," "Mon-El," "Lightning Lad," "Dream Girl," or for that matter "Element Lad" used and not their post-boot codenames. Does he know something we don't?

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Unless I'm mistaken, Jim Lee has expressed interest in working on the Legion, but only the preboot Legion. Hence any designs he would make would be for them...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the top Ultra Boy and Saturn Girl pics, and the bottom Karate Kid, Invisible Kid, and especialy Timber Wolf pics. The Dream Girl doesn't look that much different form her other looks. The rest are kinda bland, and I hate the Lighting Lad pic. The Sunboy and Mon-El pics look more like street clothes than costumes.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe I just never warmed up to Lee's style, but I find these costumes hideous. (Though the Timber Wolf outfit has possibilities.)

[ May 05, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
I would have to agree with HWW. Although I won't use as strong a word as "hideous," I'll say for the most part I'm not impressed. None of these designs really blow me away. Timber Wolf's redesign is interesting, but why is he carry a staff? Does Lee miss drawing Gambit? Cos is too muscular and I don't like his facial structure.

Okay, now that I think about it, HWW is right on the ball. Those Lightning Lad and Sun Boy costumes ARE hideous. And I'm wondering who's wearing Saturn Girl's outfit because that sure ain't Imra!

The only re-design I'm really fascinated with is Element Lad's

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
They kinda make me think of John Byrne's Krypton, which isn't a compliment.

Although, if he lost those bulky gloves and boots, some of the guys' suits look promising.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
They're interesting, although not what I would choose for The Legion.

Two different Tinyas, both with short hair - I don't think I've ever seen her drawn with short hair, outside of L.E.G.I.O.N.

I liked the Saturn Girl costumes, but not for Imra. Maybe for some villainess/cult priestess type of character; they seemed a bit creepy, somehow.

The big-muscled-guy look doesn't really catch me.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cool he's a Legion pre-crisis fan
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
While I won't say the costumes are hideous, they're certainly not what I'd like to see on theLegionnaires.

[ July 15, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess the AR in me will now try and find this issue. Can't really see the scans too well (my problem not Gary's).

From what I can see though, I do like the Saturn Girl. Reminds me of a Bene Gesserit from Dune.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I liked the Saturn Girl costumes, but not for Imra. Maybe for some villainess/cult priestess...

My first thought when I looked at those designs was of an updated Saturn QUEEN. Kinda regal-looking, with the hood and cape. How old's Jancel now? [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
P.S.-- Why's Dirk wearing a skirt? Is he Irish? :-D

And the Tinyas-- The first one's a nice updating of the Cockrum outfit. I know it's blasphemy, but the shorthair look is pretty hot to me... a nice update from the pigtails. But the SECond one... why put bellbottoms on her sleeves??? [Confused]

And I'd like to see Garth and Jan colored before passing judgment...

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Miner, you hit the nail on the head with me. Why the damn bulky gloves and boots? the best by far in my opinion was Brin. Jo looked like steroid boy, and Mon looked like Cro-Magnon man crossed with Sebastain shaw of the xmen.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The dirk thing would have worked as a kilt. make him a red-haired Scot.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I find the designs of Element Lad and Timber Wolf very fascinating. I'm not completely sold on the 90s trend big boots, gloves, and accessories for the Legion...but if the costumes were to sway this way I wouldn't mind the Jan & Brin designs even for the postboot counterparts. That's not saying I WANT to see the trend happen, but...they're cool attempts.

I like the concept of P.G. with short hair...and Saturn Girl's costume is great...but as others have said, not on her. Imra wearing a skull cap (the first picture) just doesn't float well with me.

Most of the outfits that are variations/spoofs of the regular duds are very fascinating, like Jo's and Mon's, though as stated it's not the look I would want them to keep full-time.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.