Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
This is the official thread to debate how to pronounce the names of your favorite Legion characters and their planets!

Personally, I favor:

Gim = sounds like "Jim"
Thom = sounds link "Tom"
Jan = sounds like "yawn"
Ayla = rhymes with "Layla"
Tinya = like "Tina" with a 'y'

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's one that always fuels debates.

Is it Dark'seed' or Dark'side'?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I tend to favor:

Gim = sounds like "Jim"
Thom = sounds like "Tom"
Jan = sounds like "Jan" (as in Jan Brady)
Tinya = like it sounds (TIN'/ya)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Here's one that always fuels debates.

Is it Dark'seed' or Dark'side'?

I imagine since the cartoon, most people favor "Dark' SIDE" (isn't that how they said it in "Superfriends" too?)-- I used to think "Dark'seed" until "Cosmic Odyssey" when Orion said something like, "I tend to see the DARK SIDE of things..."
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's my barbaric southern interpretations:

Gim = sounds like "Jim"
Thom = sounds like "Tom"
Jan = sounds like "Jan" (soft-g)
Tinya = like "Tin-ya"

and Darkseid = sounds like "dark side", natch. [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll echo Star Boy on the pronounciations.

But this got me thinking, you could even have the "y" in Tinya & Ayla a separate syllable - as in Tin-ee-a or A-ee-la. I prefer the more simple interpretations, though.

Here's another: is it TAS-mia or Tas-MI-a? Or something else?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Aside from noting my always saying "Ayla" as EYE-luh, I'll note an amusing sidebar:

Sidne Gail Ward's "Legion of Super-Gamblers" is a get-together each Summer in Las Vegas for a long fan weekend. She's said that one of the most amusing (or jarring) aspects of that event is to have other Legion fans in close proximity ... and to have them pronounce the Legionnaires' names, without a second thought, in ways YOU would have never thought to do.

Why do you think I've missed that soiree myself? {rueful smile}

[ July 17, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always thought it was TAS-mi-a, myself.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Gim = sounds like Gim, hard 'g'
Thom = sounds like Thom, 'th' sound
Jan = sounds like Jan, soft 'g'
Tinya = like Tina, silent 'y'
Darkseid = Dark"side"
Tasmia = TAS-mia

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps it's Taze-my-yeah and Dark-sea-id [Smile]

[ July 17, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Princess Crujectra ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Somebody had to do it, but I gotta agree with Greybird...

Ayla = EYE-luh

the rest...

Gim = Jim
Garth = Garth [Lightning Lad]
Thom = Tom
Jan = Jan (like the Brady)
Darkseid = Dark Side (like the force)
Tinya = TIN-yuh
Tasmia = Taz-MEE-ah
Querl = Squirrel but without the S
Bgtzl = Big-TIZ-el

I can't remember Gates' proper name right now, but that probably needs a little discussion too (and his home planet Vryga or something like that).

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Gim = sounds like "Chester"
Thom = sounds link "Grover"
Jan = sounds like "Winston"
Ayla = rhymes with "Hortence"
Tinya = like "Penelope"

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Grey, I think we are the only ones who think EYE-la. Maybe we're just more enlightened. ;-)
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jack Kirby allegedly pronounced it "Dark Side." He seems to have deliberately chosen a German-looking spelling ("seid" could be pronounced either "zide" or "zite").

As for two of the others, I favor the hard "g" for "Gim" and "Eye-la."

Gates' real name, as I recall, is T'jullk M'rasz. I suspect one probably needs a bug-like mouth to pronounce it correctly. (It probably has a few "clicks" we can't make.) But a humanized guess would be "tah-JOOLK more-AZZ" [or "more ass," if you're so inclined].)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up "Brawl" for Braal from the neat little DC Direct skit they used to have on the DC page.

I'll never accept Why-nath, however.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.