Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I used to be in the "Ayla" like "Layla" camp but I've since switched to Eye-la - mostly because Ayla is a real name and pronounced "Eye-luh".

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
FWIW, I *love* Australian accents! I lived in Australia as a kid, and developed the perfect accent, but I can only vaguely do it now. I like accents, in general; Southern, New York, Chicago, etc... In the NW of the US, we don't really have any particular accent, just plain US English.

quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:

Dude, it's true though.
I live in California and we don't have accents.

And, also, I <3 accents too!! Always wanted one. But, from first person perspective, no one ever thinks they have an accent so... yeah.

HAHAHAHAHAHA - You don't have accents? [LOL] Sure you do... outrageous American accents. [tease]

quote:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:

b) I hope everybody will like the Aussie accent, coz i plan on sticking around for a long time to come!

Me too! But remember - we don't have accents. Everyone else does but us. [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
You forgot the Kiwis, Wayne....and their fesh and chups!
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Could you help me with the pronunciation of some names from the Legion universe? I've always wondered what the actual pronunciation is and whether I'm pronouncing them correctly and didn't find a similar topic in the forum. [Smile]

Winath: Is it Wine-ath or Win-ath? I think I've heard it pronounced both ways in the cartoon.

Luornu: LOO-ornu or Lu-OR-nu?

Colu: COL-u or Co-LOO?

Nura: NOO-ra or NYU-ra?

Mysa: Mee-ssa, Mee-za, My-ssa, My-za? (MY as in my god!)

Ayla: Aye-la or Eye-la?

Gim: Soft or hard "G"?

Thom: Tom or Th-om?

Tasmia: TAS(Z)-mia or Tas(z)-MEE-a?

BGZTL: I think I've heard it pronounced Bugz-tall but I usually pronounce it b-g-z-t-l without any audible vowels.

Projectra: Someone once called her PRO-jeck-tra, instead of Projectra as in "projector". What's the correct one?

Shvaughn: I know the name is Irish. Is it Shawn, Sean or Sh-V-aughn?

[ March 19, 2007, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Previous Proninciation threads:

Pronouncing Legionnaires real names

Pronunciation

How do you pronounce?

Apparently we do about one per year. [Wink]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You beat me to it EDE! I even had the links and everything!
[Razz]

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Ah. Heheheh. Thank you. I shoulda thought there would be one in a forum with almost 13000 topics, even though I searched for it.

You can close this thread if you want, guys. Sorry for the duplicate topic.

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I tend to agree with Sketch and Vee, but I differ from the pack on Mysa. To me, she rhymes with Liza (as in Minelli. not that I'm a fan).
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there a red-neck section of Wine-ath named Beer-ath?
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, the rednecks call it Moonshinath.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

[LOL] Once, many years ago there was a brief chance we could have a "Winath-fest" in a Greek island.
It certainly would have been a "Wine-ath"-fest!

The other topics answered practically all my questions (half of the names' pronunciations seem to be a matter of preference). Except for Projectra, but I guess it's PRO-jectra.

In a Con in Engalnd I attended in 93, KC Karlson pronounced Bgztl "Bugz-tall" but that's also a matter of choice.

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, after watching the episode on Smallville and reading the posts which followed, it has dawned on me that not all of us pronounce Legion names the same. In an effort to clear that up, this thread is dedicated to correcting that.

I'll start with mine...

Imra

I've always pronounced it I'm-ra

It seems in Smalville it was different Em-ra?

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This discussion has been brought up many times over the years on this board, PG.

For the record, I've always said "IMM-ra". [Smile]

Note: Since Nighty has merged the threads, I've removed the links I had earlier. [Big Grin]

[ January 18, 2009, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry didn't realize that. I'll check out the links, thanks.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, don't feel bad, PG. I will start a thread because i don't see anything on it, and someone will post about a thread two forums over and i feel like a) and idiot for not knowing about it and b) a jerk for wasting bandwith and costing these guys money.

And i have always pronounced it like In and ra, like the cheer rah rah, so, i get Imrah, of a sort.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.