Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Reboot was right (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Reboot was right
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think DnA were at their best when they were fixing the mistakes of their predecessors. I think in the end they introduced as many problems as they fixed, however. I think that there was a feeling that they would really pick the title back up, and that they had a grand vision of where to take it that would be something really fantastic, and it was incredibly disappointing that this vision largely fizzled.

Incidentally, this also makes me somewhat skeptical of WaK's supposed grand vision for the Legion.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
The DnA Legion didn't start going bad until they did the one really stupid move. Shoving someone with the big S on there uniform into the team. And now it looks like they are going to try it again with probably the same results here in the threeboot.
There was not one thing in it that could not have been smoothed over by a good writer. Look at how good Simones arc was and she used established continuuty with no problem. I think going the Waidboot was just a lazy move on DC's part, and it is not working out nearly as well as they thought it was going to. I pity whatever writer has to come in after Waid and work with what he has set up.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Zeroman:
The DnA Legion didn't start going bad until they did the one really stupid move. Shoving someone with the big S on there uniform into the team. And now it looks like they are going to try it again with probably the same results here in the threeboot.

I still wonder about that - before that point, they'd set up nearly everything they'd done, mostly in Legion Worlds, which they'd carried on doing in L25. Then, in L26, they drop nearly all that stuff - in particular, Mekt and the cadets, and focus on Superboy and Darkseid, both of which feel like editorial edicts DnA had no interest in - note how they completely write off the Darkseid vision as a feint in the previous arc, and Superboy is offically an Edict. I wonder what DnA had *actually* planned for Foundations....

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I also find it irritating that we 3booted just as we were *finally* getting around to characters like Nightwind, Polar Boy, Blok, Kent Shakespeare and Infectious Lass in the form of the Legion cadets program.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I do feel cheated by having such characters introduced (plus an interesting new character in the form of the Persuader's daughter), only to have the rug pulled out from under us.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Not as cheated as I feel not getting to watch Graym grow up, mind you...
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
Eryk - one question: are you trying to be the anti-me on this matter; basically vocally hating the postboot just to be the oppposite of me?

And Cobie, I'd have thought better of you than to repost all those lists [Frown]
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I said it before, I'll say it again. Reboot was right.

There have been more duds than even half-successes in Threeboot so far.

And as EDE reminds us, DnA, despite some weaknesses, at least had some good ideas at their disposal, more than Waid has managed thus far.

Why, according to your post in the sales thread, are you buying two issues a month then? Over a year is too long to buy ONE issue a month on the hope that it'll magically get better, let alone two...
To be honest, force of habit, and procrastination. I keep putting off dropping my extra copy in hopes that the book will turn around. I'm still giving it through the Supergirl arc.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I also find it irritating that we 3booted just as we were *finally* getting around to characters like Nightwind, Polar Boy, Blok, Kent Shakespeare and Infectious Lass in the form of the Legion cadets program.

Good point.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
There is a simple, quick fix to all of this - Good Original Stories. Well conceived issues will make everything else forgotten, no matter which point in the Legion history the stories come from.

There has been a tendency for Legion writers in the past decade to rely on the Legion stories that came before. The result - re-writes and what-if stories of stuff we've already read, and the result is it just ain't as good as the original. The best Legion stories were from Bates, Levitz, the early Waid, and DnA, all which were ORIGINAL adventures. Since the end of the Levitz run we've had very little in the way of good new stories (except DnA) and little substantial added to the Legion mythos.

That's why there's the tendency to jump back and start over at the Adventure era point, where the solid foundation for the Legion was laid. The approach by TMK (which was just plain destructive) and McCraw and now Waid don't give other writers much to work with.

Fifteen issues (at 30 pages each!) into this new version, and most of it has been rewrite origins or rewrite characterizations - much of which now occurs thru a letter column?! These Legionnaires need to move forward and do something positive, and in much less time than 13 issues a pop.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Reboot was right. It's true

Still true, after all these years! [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.