Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I think you're right about that DB. I believe it was a section in the letter columns split up over various issues. The had done a similar listing during the Adventure era.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Which issue was it - coz i realise that my topic was not exactly a new one, it probably had been rehashed in an earlier letter column a long, long time ago...*sigh*
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Which issue was it - coz i realise that my topic was not exactly a new one, it probably had been rehashed in an earlier letter column a long, long time ago...*sigh*

Not sure when it was but I do seem to recall it. However, I think it's very interesting to see how other people pronounce these names that we've only ever seen in print. For example, it makes a great deal of sense for Jan's name to be pronounce with a "Y" sound instead of a "J" yet I've always pronoune it as in January.

Great topic for a discussion! Thanks for posting it.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't recall there ever being an "offical" list given.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Vee, thank you for the vote of confidence - i really thought i was gradually losing my touch for a while....
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I've copied lam's list and edited it for the way I say the names.....
Brainiac 5 - Querl Dox (Pronounced: Kwirl Docks)
Bouncing Boy - Chuck Taine (Tayne)
Blok - pronounced "Block"
Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (Dag Gull)
Cosmic Boy - Rokk Krinn (rock krinn, like pin)
Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (Jim Allen)
Chemical King - Condo Arlik (like the apartment you own and R-lick)
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (Noo-rah and Nal like pal)
Duo Damsel - Luornu Durgo (Loo-or-noo Der {like her) Go)
Invisible Kid - Lyle Norg (Lyle like "while" and Norg like Star Trek's Borg)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Val like Pal, R-More)
Lightning Lad - Garth Ranzz (Garth like Darth {Vader) Ranzz like pans)
Light Lass (Ayla like hay-duh and again, Ranzz like pans)
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (this one's clear, isn't it?)
Mon-el - Lar Gand (Lar like bar and Gand like gland. I know this may be wrong, but I say Mon like "on" instead of Mon like "sun"...El)
Phantom Girl - Tinya Wazzo (Tin Yuh Waz-like "pos"itive...Oh)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (Imm-rah, Ardeen (rhymes with sardine)
Shadow Lass - Tasmia Malor (Taz-mee-uh Mallor like mallard duck)
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (Sal like Sally U like Ooooo baby baby ....Dig-bee )
Sun Boy - Dirk Morgna (Durk Morg-nah)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom...as in Thomas, Kallor as in pal with an er on the end)
Ultra Boy - Jo Nah (like the name Jonah but with more space in between)
White Witch - Mysa Nal (Mice-uh Nal, like pal)

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamz
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hamz   Author's Homepage   Email Hamz         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:

Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (Jim Allen)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom...as in Thomas, Kallor as in pal with an er on the end)
White Witch - Mysa Nal (Mice-uh Nal, like pal)

I have always pronounced them:
Gim (The G like in Go instead of J as in Jim)
Thom (TH like in The)
Mysa (MEE suh)
Jan (Yawn)
I pronounce all the others the same way Sketch does.

From: NW Indiana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's see how much I can shock you with my Aussie accent and undoubted mispronunciations...

Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (Reap Da-Gul- rhyming with waggle [Smile] )
Chemical King - Condo Arlik (Condo pronounced like condominium; Arlick = Arr+lik)
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (Nura = New-Ra; Nal = Cal as in Calvin)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Val to rhyme with 'pal' or Kal... Armorr = Arr+Mor (like more))
Light Lass - Ayla Ranzz (Ay-Lah - like the song "Layla")
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (Ten-zil Chem)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (Imra = Im (like Jim) + Ra (like the Sun God); Ardeen = Arr-Deen (rhyme with lean))
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (Salu = Sa (short sound) + lu (like luke) Digby = Dig-bee)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom just like Tom with a T sound as in time not a "Th" as in thought; Kallor = the same as Mallor ~ see above)
White Witch - Mysa Nal (My + Zah pronounced to rhyme the Liza (as in Minelli))

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
FWIW, I *love* Australian accents! I lived in Australia as a kid, and developed the perfect accent, but I can only vaguely do it now. I like accents, in general; Southern, New York, Chicago, etc... In the NW of the US, we don't really have any particular accent, just plain US English.

Sorry if that seems like stereotyping, I only mean this in a positive way.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Dude, it's true though.

I live in California and we don't have accents. Except surfurs who talk like this: "Dude....that wave was..... totally awesome!" Like, slow 'n' stuff. Kind of a warped Southern without the cute factor.

And, also, I <3 accents too!! Always wanted one. But, from first person perspective, no one ever thinks they have an accent so... yeah.

/end off topicness

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Sketch Lad and Star Boy, thank you because a)

Legion World is very non-judgemental especially towards sexual orientation and

b) I hope everybody will like the Aussie accent, coz i plan on sticking around for a long time to come!

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Aside from the usual "Yan" or "Jan" debates which I expected, I'm surprised there's such variation on Mysa. I never thought there was much question with hers. Anyhoo, here's my interpretation (with help from Sketch Lad, whose list (and some pronunciations) I copied since I agree with his a lot)...

Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (rhymes with "Fraggle (rock)")
Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (Jim AL-on)
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (NOO-rah and Nal like pal)
Duo Damsel - Luornu Durgo (Loor-nu DER (like "her") Go)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Val like Pal and "armor")
Lightning Lad - Garth Ranzz (Garth like from "Wayne's World" and Ranzz like pans)
Light Lass (Ayla like Ay(like the letter "a")-luh and again, Ranzz like pans)
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (the number "10"- zil with a soft "i" (i.e. god-ZIL-la)
Mon-el - Lar Gand (Lar like bar and Gand like gland. I know this may be wrong, but I say Mon like "on" instead of Mon like "sun"...El)
Phantom Girl - Tinya Wazzo (TIN-Yuh WAZ-like "pos"itive...Oh)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (IMM-rah, Ardeen (rhymes with sardine))
Shadow Lass - Tasmia Mallor (TAZ-mee-uh Mallor (rhymes with valor))
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (SAL like "pal"-oo ....DIG-bee )
Sun Boy - Dirk Morgna (Durk MORG-nah)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom as in Tom, Kallor as in "pallor")
Ultra Boy - Jo Nah (Jo like "joe", Nah like the slang "nah" (no))
White Witch - Mysa Nal (MISS-uh Nal, like pal)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Even though it's been a while, I thought I'd bump this thread because:
A. I'm new here

and

B. I've always wondered myself

Copying from Drake's and changing as appropriate:

Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (rhymes with "Fraggle (rock)") That's exactly the analogy I thought of!
Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (Gim AL-on; with a hard "g" as in "goat")
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (Noor (like Queen Noor)-rah and Nal like pal)
Duo Damsel - Luornu Durgo (Loo-OR-nu DER (like "her") Go)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Val like Pal and "ar-MOR")
Lightning Lad - Garth Ranzz (Garth like from "Wayne's World" and Ranzz like pans)
Light Lass (Ayla like Ay(like the letter "a")-luh and again, Ranzz like pans)
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (the number "10"- zil with a soft "i" (i.e. god-ZIL-la)
Phantom Girl - Tinya Wazzo (TIN-Yuh WAHZ-o)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (IMM-rah, Ardeen (rhymes with sardine))
Shadow Lass - Tasmia Mallor (TAZ-mee-uh Mal-or))
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (SAL like "pal"-oo ....DIG-bee )
Sun Boy - Dirk Morgna (Durk MORG-nah)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor
Okay, I've always been of two minds on this one. It would kind of interesting if it were "thom", but expect it's pronounced like "Tom" and "KAL-ore"
Ultra Boy - Jo Nah (Jo like "joe", Nah like the slang "nah" (no))
White Witch - Mysa Nal (Rhymes with "Liza Gal")

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting that you both agree on Ayla Ranzz, which I have experienced is the most conroversial pronunciation, with at least as many people saying it is "EYE-la" as it is "(long)A-la, rhymes with Layla". It is the rhyming with the song "Layla" that convinces me it should be the latter (same name sans 'L')...HOWEVER, a few years back I ran into a real live baby girl names Ayla, and it was pronounced "EYE-la". Parents had never heard of the Legion...however, after reading the LSH so many years and prnouncing the names in my head, it's impossible to change, so for me it is still the Fonzi-esque "AAY-la".

As for others, I thought it was remarkable that I was agreeing with every single one of DrakeB3004's pronunciatons...until we got to the last two. I say Jo Nah has "NAh" rhyming with "Ma", as in slang name for referring to one's Mother. I think I agree with Rockhopper more on Mysa, but I don't do a 'z' sound..for me, its "Mysa" rhymes with "Rice uh".

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
As I was filling that in I was thinking "Nah" to rhyme with "Ma", but I guess that looks more like a short a (like "nab" without the "b"). What I meant was for Jo Nah to rhyme with "Go Ma".

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.