Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 53)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
Since they hit Roy with a bus, they may want to start calling him "Radiator Roy" now. [Smile] Boy meets grill...

Dang, but I crack myself up sometimes!

lol, good one.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah. Blok too but still no flight power unless the JLEarth rings are tech marvels like the Legion flight rings. I knew the idea was shaky but it seems to fit the theme of this story. Real "feel good" stuff, the kind of thing I used to read as a kid.

quote:
Radiator Roy
[LOL]
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the six-part Legion story in Action is one of the Top 3 Legion adventures of all time. Geoff Johns knows exactly how to make the Legion characters come to life, and has done an especially good job with the Subs and Rejects. The artwork is top notch, and the "eye issues" that have been mentioned actually accentuate the drama in the story for me (the youthful optimism of the young Legion, the desperation in the older Legionnaires, the craziness of Brainy and the Rejects). I am actually REALLY looking forward to a Legion issue for the first time since I was a kid (which is a long time). I would love to have this creative team do as many Legion stories as possible.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
At the end of part 5 I got the impression that:
a) Supes may have been getting his power back when he sent Earth Man out into space. Had Brainy successfully de-connected Sun Boy off panel?
b) Earth Man could then absorb Superman's powers and survive there easily (as Superman would have known). He only had the other Legionnaires comatose so he could easily recharge in 12 hour intervals. With Superman right there, he could have absorbed his regained kryptonian power on the spot. Hence, a super-duke out in chapter six.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I see it differently... I think Earth Man will lose all his powers and just simply become normal again while out in space. While the sun is still red, Supes will beat EM, finally showing EM why he was chosen over him.

Well, something like that.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't Earth Man say he didn't need the Legion anymore last issue? I thought this meant the power absorption was permanent. In any event, he could use Ultra Boy's invulnerability in space and some of the other Legionnaires' powers to fight Superman at the same time.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
YK's scenario is so exciting to me, so Supermanish.

Totally powerless with only the willpower to drive the flight ring and the flight ring to protect him from space and Earth-Man's invulnerability to break through the station wall.

That's cool

Is it large eyes or lack of eyelids?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I am actually REALLY looking forward to a Legion issue for the first time since I was a kid (which is a long time). I would love to have this creative team do as many Legion stories as possible.

I second!

All in favor say "Aye!"

I hope sales supports this Legion push. I'd love a decade of LSH heavy exposure and merchandising.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Is it large eyes or lack of eyelids?

Neither. It's the fact that you can always see the whole iris. Look at how anyone else draws eyes: typically you can see the lower two-thirds of the iris. With Frank you always get the whole thing, and that's just not how people look.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe they're all suffering from a 30th century version of Graves Disease, or are all descended from Marty Feldman. I agree that the pop-eye effect is disconcerting. And Polar Boy looks totally mad. However, I like the story so much that I'm willing to forgive the "eyes". But you're right, Matthew, about how eyes should be drawn to be realistic.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I had a thought, maybe Gary looks into a mirror to draw eyes, and doesn't realize how intently he is staring back at himself to get the eyes "just right". And there you go...

Other than the eyes, everything artwise is fantastic, so I'm still loving this book! It's a great time to be a Legion fan!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Say what you will about Quitely's eyes, his rendition of Duo Damsel/Triplicate Girl on page 1 in her tight, short little dress makes me want to see this uniform again for the first time *ever*.

Superman is made more likeable when he appears with the LSH. He just is. His respect for the SUBS, his concern for Sun Boy- endearing.

Eyeful Ethel- creepy. But I still wonder why she's blonde?

I thought Stone Boy had learned some sort of hypnotic trick to retain mobility. Different version, I suppose.

Rainbow Girl and Fire Lad were impressive, one for the first time, literally-- the other illustrating the fact that imperfect control of a great power still means you have a great power.

I was disappointed in Chlorophyll Kid's depiction. His 'psychosis' was funny- I'd probably enjoy it if I'd never read the character before. I suppose I should just regard him as a new version of the old Chlor and enjoy him on his own.

Still, when everyone else is written more or less 'straight', I wonder why he's singled out as the loony?

Plant-powered characters just get no respect in comics.

It'd be nice to see Color Kid and Infectious Lass renunited with the subs at the tale's end. Will Double Header get a statue?

I wonder if Sun Boy's power will be burned out by this prolonged torture? Or will he be more powerful? Less control?

Rainbow Girl and her emotional spectrum powers are interesting. Will there be more powers beside the super-strength ones? She's blasting something green on the next-to-last page. This was first mentioned in a Who's Who entry, wasn't it? I wonder if Geoff Johns got his idea for the GL emotion-based rings of different colors from reading this entry...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Chlorophyll's kid psychosis and loony act were more Frank's eyes than anything. [Wink]

Just kidding. Franks' best issue IMO!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
[QB]I had a thought, maybe Gary looks into a mirror to draw eyes, and doesn't realize how intently he is staring back at himself to get the eyes "just right". And there you go...

QB]

LOL, that used to be me (maybe still is). Whenever I did self-portraits in art class everyone thought I must have been really angry when I did it because of my eyes. However, it was usually because I was focusing so intently on my eyes that they would look really intense (thus pissed). I still have a real hard time drawing my eyes more relaxed. Sorry, but when I read that it just back a lot of memories of art critiques and friends wanting to know why I was so mad.

So here's my take on the eye thing. One, Frank has improved greatly, the eyes haven't taken me out of the story in about two issues. My biggest problem was that Frank brings such reality to the pages and expression to the characters that when you (or at least me) see a character who is all bugged eye think "psychotic" (see above pic of Imra) so you start looking at the story to see the pyschotic vibe play out. Then you realize that she isn't supposed to look crazy and you've just been knocked out of the story.

That's how reading the first few issues were for me, his Superman was just so well done, as were most of his guy Legionnaires that you really pay attention to their face and body language (or at least I did). So when it came to a woman and all of a sudden her eyes don't match the rest of the art/story, it really took me out of the book. It was a shame that an artist could pull me in so deeply that the smallest flaw could throw me out, but that is what happened. Everything he drew was so convincing that when he screwed up his eyes it was VERY VERY jarring. A lot of artist it wouldn't be a big deal because their art does not pull me in as much as his does.

That said, again, he has improved every issue and the last two issues have been superb. Really, I think next issue will rock and Gary Frank is going to become a classic Superman artist and his art on this arc has been great, except for the little thing with the eyes.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Malvolio:
That pic of Saturn Girl almost looks like Wally Wood drew her.

I think if Wally Wood drew it a different part of Saturn Girl's anatomy would be enlarged.

A Wally Wood drawn LSH story would have had the coolest space ship interiors of any LSH story.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.