Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 52)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone have a list of the issues where these Justice League or Legion of Super Reject members first appeared?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I just love this Legion. I was trying to figure out why and decided that it's because it is, for the most part, linear story-telling. We're not skipping back and forth in time (although there's a bit of that) and there are not innumerable sub-plots going on. Furthermore, it focuses mainly on the heroes and the villains. There is precious little time given to obscure bureaucrats and politicians who seem to take up an inordinate amount of space in the main LSH title. This is the real Legion for me.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Does anyone have a list of the issues where these Justice League or Legion of Super Reject members first appeared?

ggm,

In order of their appearances:

Storm Boy_______Adventure Comics #301_______Oct 1962
Radiation Roy____Adventure Comics #320_______May 1964
Spider Girl_______Adventure Comics #323_______Aug 1964
Eyeful Ethel______Adventure Comics #330_______Mar 1965
Golden Boy______Adventure Comics #331_______Apr 1965
Tusker__________Adventure Comics #331_______Apr 1965
Absorbancy Boy__Superboy & the Legion #218___Jul 1976
(now known as Earth-Man)

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good list Craig! Nice bit of reference reading there.

Just sat down and read the first five issues (guess I could have waited a month for the ending). Good story, not great but good. Definitely not my Legion but another iteration that I could enjoy.

The only drawback for me so far is Frank's art. It is quite good but too often do the characters look psychotic. If I had been young Clark I would have ran the other direction. The Founders looked as if they were auditioning for the next Texas Chainsaw movie. I mean, come on, if I was Garth now way would I have married this:

-

[Big Grin]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the list Craig.

I have to agree with LL about the way that Gary Frank draws eyes. Other than that I think his art is pretty good. If or more likely when this pseudo pre-crisis Legion gets it's own book I'd like to see someone else do the art.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
That pic of Saturn Girl almost looks like Wally Wood drew her.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
On the other hand I really enjoyed this issue. I've gotten used to the art and I'm even beginning to like it. It's a pleasure to wander through my childhood Legion stories with a new perspective. Of course the story being told demands that we understand the past in order to understand the present..uh..future..umm...yeah, talking about time travel gives me a headache...anyway it's still been a pretty good read so far.

Ok, the following is spoilerish but really it's just an observation or two and a bit of conjecture.

-potential spoilers-

Am I wrong in thinking the only Legionnaire being held captive with a power that automatically allows them to survive in deep space is Ultra Boy? Yeah I can imagine a way for it to happen with a couple of those others but they're experienced and highly skilled with those powers, Earth Man isn't.
So he duplicates Jo's invulnerability and survives but without the power of flight and with no flight ring. The hero from Krypton whips the delusional paranoid from Earth and has nothing but a Legion flight ring to work with.
Sweet.

Now watch Brainiac5 make the claim that he planned it that way all along.
[Smile]

I noticed that Earthman imprisoned those Legionnaires that seem to have the most impressive powers and ignored "lesser" heroes. Not a good idea when dealing with the Legion. We've seen time and again that it's not the amount of power any individual possesses but the amount of heart and teamwork that's applied to a problem. A very Silver Ageish story complete with a moral and most likely a happy ending next issue.

I really starting to look forward to the third part of this crossover arc. Who the heck is in that wand that Brainy is so fond of?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Geoff Johns just recently posted this on the ComicBloc forums:

quote:
If you've been enjoying the Legion arc...Action Comics 864's title...

An epilogue to the Legion arc, with some pretty big revelations that play into the DCU as a whole, happen in issue #864.

The title of the issue - BATMAN AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.

Joe Prado is illustrating[...]

Now that is interesting.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Am I wrong in thinking the only Legionnaire being held captive with a power that automatically allows them to survive in deep space is Ultra Boy? Yeah I can imagine a way for it to happen with a couple of those others but they're experienced and highly skilled with those powers, Earth Man isn't.
So he duplicates Jo's invulnerability and survives but without the power of flight and with no flight ring. The hero from Krypton whips the delusional paranoid from Earth and has nothing but a Legion flight ring to work with.
Sweet.

Wouldn't Blok be able to survive in space? I always assumed he had some degree of invulnerability, but is that dependent on his physiology? Yet if that somehow affected the ability to absorb them, why would Earth Man have kept him alive?
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Am I wrong in thinking the only Legionnaire being held captive with a power that automatically allows them to survive in deep space is Ultra Boy?

I think Blok was in there, and I'm pretty sure that he's capable of going without air.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
YK, good theory about Earth-Man getting locked into using Ultra Boy's powers in space. I suppose Geoff could definitely swing it that way, with a couple of outs. For example: if Blok is invulnerable (how many rocks out there need to breathe?), or if that Earth ring Earth-Man wears is ultimately revealed to be like a Legion flight ring, complete with trans-suit capabilities. But I like your idea that Clark can beat the all powerful bad guy with a flight ring and no powers.

In retrospect, I wonder why Geoff didn't have the team call in the Heroes of Lallor, so Duplicate Boy could wipe up the floor with the former Absorbancy Boy (that name still gets me...why not use "Paper Towel Boy". Hey, he could team up with Bounty [LOL] With his powers, he should have called himself "Residual Lad"). In the end, I liked seeing the Subs swooping in to help save the day (good "rejects" versus bad "rejects" and the parallel Geoff used about Clark himself often felt rejected until he met the Legion). Feel good kinda stuff!

And Scott, I couldn't agree with you more about the eyes Gary draws, particularly on a couple of those Saturn Girl images. As others have said before, some of the ladies look like "crack whores". If nothing else, it makes me think of a Stepford Wife. The art (and eyes) have definitely gotten better as the arc gets further along, but our boy Garth would never have pursued Imra if she looked like that!!! I'm not saying he's shallow and looks mean everything, but that image just screams "psychotic chick"!!!

[ March 02, 2008, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Omni Craig ]

--------------------
Craig C.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the Justice League does have flight rings or the equivalent. They were shown flying in their first appearance in the Batcave weren't they?

I think the art is great. Yes, he tends to draw the eyes a little too large, but that's a small price to pay for the overall great art imho.

Ethel is indeed creepy, but also pretty useless to the League in a fight. Why the Subs took her down first is a mystery to me. What was she going to do? Give them a dirty look?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Ethel is indeed creepy, but also pretty useless to the League in a fight. Why the Subs took her down first is a mystery to me. What was she going to do? Give them a dirty look?

What if she had a tactical role in League fights. With all of her eyes, she could direct the others effectively since she could know where all of the opponents are. Taking her out first could be a means of cutting off the League's "eyes" (not that we really saw her take such a role). Also, did they take her out first? I thought Stone Boy took out Radiation Roy when the bus hit.
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Since they hit Roy with a bus, they may want to start calling him "Radiator Roy" now. [Smile] Boy meets grill...

Dang, but I crack myself up sometimes!

--------------------
Craig C.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Last panel: Supes would have required super strength to bust through a space station wall, flight ring or no flight ring. Right?

Presumably Absorbancy Boy was using an invulnerablility power (actually he was - see when Superman hit him) Superman, would just need momentum to use Absorbancy Boy to break through the window of the station, just like the Subs used momentum to crash into the station.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.