Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Official Legion Showcase Thread (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Official Legion Showcase Thread
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
In Canada, they're that pricey. Cover price over $80 (because they were priced back when the exchange rate was terrible). You can get them for less, if you look around, but $80 is out-of-the-question too much.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Have you tried ebay?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, I'm a poor college student, until I get a big girl job (and pay off loans) the regular Legion issue itself is too expensive (I dropped it because I wasn't loving it enough and it costs 4 cents more than a Whopper Jr. with cheese, fries and a drink).

Besides, I'm not going to pay $3.30 for a Silver Age story, I like a lot of the ideas in the Silver Age, there is a lot of crazy fun concpets that I feel is often lacking in modern comics (some characters/books would work really well with this) but the storytelling/characterization is just not worth it for me.

I still want the stories and history (which is why Showcase is perfect for me) and from what I've heard about later Legions I think I would want to get those in Archive editions to have them in color, BUT I need a job first.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Woot! Got it today. I got up to page 372 before I got to stories I didn't already have in one form or another, but it was all still worth it.

The first appearence of the Time Trapper, more Substitute Goodness, Dev-Em, and a million other things I loved.

Also noticed that writers then seem to have the same problems as writers now, in that they certainly favor some Legionnaires over others. In 500 pages I'm not sure if Invisible Kid got one line in and Shrinking Violet only talked once, but I still loved every panel of it.

Some of the stuff was really funny and oh so dated, but there were still some great moments.

So when does Volumn 2 come out?

and can anyone tell me what the Time Trapper was up to and how the Legion stopped him? I really want to know.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah... about the Time Trapper... well, the build up to the Legion's big showdown with him is pretty nice. The big clash itself is a bit of a letdown, however. We never really get a clear story of what he was doing, but he eventually sends his agent, Glorith, back in time to attack the Legion by turning them to protoplasm. Through a twist of fate, the team is changed into toddlers instead, and so the Legion of Super-Tots ends up having to defeat the Time Trapper.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok so usually I don't mind the llack of color, but in this one we are looking at a group of kids the same height in similar outfits with similar hairdos... I have started memorizing color shapes to tell them apart.

I would also like to see someone compare these to the showcase and original issues to get some idea of how heavily these are edited

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the Silver Age writers never did supply a motive for the Time Trapper's creation of the "Iron Curtain of Time".
One thing I noticed, the last time I reread that period: the "Dynamo Boy" story, which has the adult Legion of Super-Villains travelling back in time to the teen Legion's era, stranding Dynamo Boy in the distant future, and getting returned to their own time at the end of the story, was published while the "Iron Curtain of Time" was supposedly in place (there was actually a pretty long gap between the final showdown with the Time Trapper and his last previous appearance).
Sometimes it is easiest to assume that these stories did not necessarily occur (from the characters' point of view) in the same order in which they were published.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

My real theory regarding the purpose of the Iron Curtain of time can be found in this thread!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Dessert first! Go directly to page 197.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
??
I haven't bought it yet but I'm heading by the CBS today.
So let me guess...almost 200 pages in...ummm...The Moby Dick of Space?

Say, do they get as far as the backup feature stories in Action? I don't think I have all of those post-Adventure but pre-SB&LOSH appearances.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton

Nope, no Moby-Dick of space. The last story is Adventures #321 "The Code of the Legion!" where the Legionnaires have a super powerful weapon hidden and only they know where. TPTB need to make sure that none of the Legionnaires will ever reveal the secret so they test them to make sure they won't crack.

This story really cracked me up since we've already seen the Legion get inflitrated so I wonder how wise it is for EVERY member of the Legion to know the secret [Wink]

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Does the Showcase edition cover all of the first three Archives, or is the overlap not complete?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I think it's something like two and a half archives.
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
So when the Showcase is DCs "Essential" series, does anybody know what the Marvel digest format could be? They are offering the new Ant Man series for cheap, so what is a digest? :-)

So complicated... but good that there are so many formats so anybody can afford some Legion stuff!

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A digest is like a trade, only the digest is smaller in size than the original pamphlets, about 2 inches smaller vertically and 1 inch smaller horizontally.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.