Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Vi has always been Vee for me.

Gim = Jim for me too.
Salu = sah-loo

And am I the only one who read "Zoe" as "Zo" (kinda like Jo or Joe) until just recently? Yeesh, the things we learn (Or don't learn) over here! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hard "g" on Gim for me.

But I never thought of pronouncing it "Geem" before. That almost makes him sound French: "Geem a-LON."

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Another hard G.

I always pronounced Querl like it was spelt but pronouncing it like it rhymes with squirrel is genius.

and Bgztl= Big-Zittle

What about Jan? I remember someone was telling me once that they pronounced it "Yon".

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
For me: Gim (Jim), Ayla (EYE-luh), Imra (IM-ruh), Salu (SAH-loo), Bgztl (BIGZ-tull), Zoe (ZO-eeee), Querl (KWER-ull)

What will really be entertaining will be if any large number of us get together this summer in San Diego.

Sidne Gail Ward has told me, of the "Legion of Super-Gamblers" meetings in Las Vegas from recent years, that it was truly amusing to have many Legion fans up close and personal -- and constantly adjusting their pronunciations of the characters' names!

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Zoe was always Zoe (rhymes with go) to me.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there any way to post .wav files of people saying the names properly?
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Eye-la
Sah-loo
V-eye
Shi-vauhn

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I just remembered another one I used to mispronounce, many years ago as a kid. When the Legionnaires would call Reep "Cham", I used to pronounce it with a soft-C, so I was reading it as "Sham". And I couldn't understand why his nickname would be Sham, since it was short for "Chameleon Boy". Hindsight reveals I was the one with the failing logic. Of course "Cham" is with a hard-C sound and a silent "h". I now think of it like "Kam" (rhymes with jam)

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
I just remembered another one I used to mispronounce, many years ago as a kid. When the Legionnaires would call Reep "Cham", I used to pronounce it with a soft-C, so I was reading it as "Sham". And I couldn't understand why his nickname would be Sham, since it was short for "Chameleon Boy". Hindsight reveals I was the one with the failing logic. Of course "Cham" is with a hard-C sound and a silent "h". I now think of it like "Kam" (rhymes with jam)

That's funny! I thought I was the only one who did that, Omni.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always pronounced Cham as "sham," too.

If you think about it, it does make sense. A sham is something fake, after all.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
How about Mekt?

I've always assumed it rhymed with "sect", but it could also be a long e or even a long a sound.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi,

Just got back from a discussion on how to pronounce Element Lad's alias - so i decided to take it one step further with:

Brainiac 5 - Querl Dox (Pronounced: Kwirl Dokes or Docks?)
Bouncing Boy - Chuck Taine (Tayne or Tyne?)
Blok - pronounced "Block" or the Aussie expression "Bloke"?
Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (Reap Daygul?)
Cosmic Boy - Rokk Krinn (Ruck Krenn?)
Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (is the G pronounced as J or a softer G, Is Allon pronounced All-on or A-lon?
Chemical King - Condo Arlik (Carndo Orlick or Ah-lick)
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (Nuhrah? Noorah? and is the surname pronounced Now?)
Duo Damsel - Luornu Durgo (Loo-or-noo Dirjo or is the g sound softer?)
Invisible Kid - Lyle Norg (Li-ul Nore-g)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Vahl Ah-more)
Lightning Lad - Garth Ranzz (Gorth or Gahr-ff, Rah-nzz or Rains?)
Light Lass (i always wondered if her first name was pronounced Ay-lah or I-lah?)
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (Ten-zul Chem)
Mon-el - Lar Gand (Lah-r or Lay-r Gann-d or Gah-nd)
Phantom Girl - Tinya Wazzo (Teen-ya or as its spelt, Wazzo (Wasso or Way-zoh)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (Eem-rah or Imm-ra, Ardeen (rhymes with sardine) or Ahr-de-en?)
Shadow Lass - Tasmia Malor (in some issues was written as Mallor) Taz-myah or Taz-mee-uh, Maylor or Muh-lor)
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (Say-lu or Sah-lu Dig-bee or Die-g-bee)
Sun Boy - Dirk Morgna (Durk Morr-gnah)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom...as in Thomas or as "Fom")? Kah-lor or Kay-lor
Ultra Boy - Jo Nah (Joe Nuh or Na-ah)?
White Witch - Mysa Nal (is Mysa pronounced Mice-uh, or is the s sound harsh like the word "miser"?)

Pick out what you like from the group and discuss it with other posters or think about what your interpretations of the names might be. I guess the pronounciation differs according to various American dialects. But have a go...at least it gets u thinking.

Bye!

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Here are my thoughts;

Brainiac 5 - Querl Dox (Pronounced: Querl = Kwhirl like Whirl with a k in front; Dox = Cox, box, lox [Big Grin] )
Bouncing Boy - Chuck Taine (like Cain i.e Cain & Abel)
Blok - (pronounced "Block")
Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (Reap Daygul- yep that's how I "hear" it)
Cosmic Boy - Rokk Krinn (Rokk = Rock; Krinn = Grin with a K instead of G)
Colossal Boy - Gim Allon (I've always thought of it as "Jim", Allon = Allen with an O as is "on")
Chemical King - Condo Arlik (Condo pronounced like condominium; Arlick = Are+lick)
Dream Girl - Nura Nal (Nura = like Guru but ending in an A; Nal = Cal as in Calvin)
Duo Damsel - Luornu Durgo (Loo-or-noo is how I say it; Durgo = Durango without the middle sylabel)
Invisible Kid - Lyle Norg (Lyle as it is commonly pronounced; Norg like Borg from Star Trek)
Karate Kid - Val Armorr (Vahl Armorr = armor as in "shining armor")
Lightning Lad - Garth Ranzz (Garth = Garth Brooks; Ranzz pronounced like the first part of Tanzania)
Light Lass (I've always thought of it as I-lah?)
Matter-Eater Lad - Tenzil Kem (Ten-zul Chem ~ yep, that's how I "hear" it)
Mon-el - Lar Gand (Lar = Car; Gand = Sand; also interesting is his codename which comes from Monday ~ the day he was found by Superboy ~ but I've never pronounced it like the Mon in Monday rather I pronounce it like Don or Con)
Phantom Girl - Tinya Wazzo (Tinya as its spelt; Wazzo = wha-zoo with the acccent on the first sylabel)
Saturn Girl - Imra Ardeen (Imra = Iirma with the letters inverted; Ardeen = garden)
Shadow Lass - Tasmia Malor (Tasmia = Taz-mee-uh; Mallor like Mallory without the Y sound)
Shrinking Violet - Salu Digby (Salu = Sah-lu Digby = Dig-bee)
Sun Boy - Dirk Morgna (Dirk = Kirk; Morgna = More-gnah)
Star Boy - Thom Kallor (Thom just like Tom with a T sound as in time not a "Th" as in thought; Kallor = the same as Mallor ~ see above)
Ultra Boy - Jo Nah (if always pronounced this as if it were just Jonah with a slight hesitation between the first and last names)
White Witch - Mysa Nal (Mysa pronounced Mesa like Lisa, and Nal the same as I do Nura's last name ~ see above)

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with all but these two, Vee:

quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
Chameleon Boy - Reep Daggle (Reap Daygul- yep that's how I "hear" it)

I've always thought it would the last name would rhyme with "waggle;" in other words, the first syllable would rhyme with "rag."

quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
White Witch - Mysa Nal (Mysa pronounced Mesa like Lisa, and Nal the same as I do Nura's last name ~ see above) [/QB]

Always assumed it was "My" as in the first person possessive.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
ok i will try again. i thought that during the levitz era there was a list of how to pronounce legion names...maybe in a letters column.

am i on crack?

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.