Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 49)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The problem with the Imra revelation is that it screws up all those stories in which someone actually joined the team under false pretenses. Why didn't she catch them?

It also screws up the stories where Matter-Eater Lad, Ultra Boy and other members pretended to be spies and criminals and such. Brainy probably wouldn't have made the team, either, because she'd have to know he was at risk of going plumb bonkers and taking over the universe someday.

Kudos to Tamper Lad for his awesome revisionist "hussy" history (which explains the true origins and function of the pickle ship as well) but I suspect the real explanation is Geoff Johns never actually read an original Legion story published before, say, the 1980s, except the few he absolutely needed to read to maintain the pretense of "original".

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The problem with the Imra revelation is that it screws up all those stories in which someone actually joined the team under false pretenses. Why didn't she catch them?

It also screws up the stories where Matter-Eater Lad, Ultra Boy and other members pretended to be spies and criminals and such. Brainy probably wouldn't have made the team, either, because she'd have to know he was at risk of going plumb bonkers and taking over the universe someday.
Only if Imra's powers were consistently reliable. Fluctuations in her power, particularly in her early years, could account for all the errors and omissions - especially if she herself was unaware of her weaknesses of the time. This would also explain many of Imra's less-than-well-written moments in the 70s, at a time she had become aware of those limitations. I'm thinking of #236 and the Space Pirate Jo stories, but as I recall there were others.

I won't respond to your last bit because I don't want to match your negative tone in order to accurately reflect my reaction. You've made your dislike of this Legion well-known already; I'm not sure why you feel the need to rain on everyone else's parade.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't mind the Imra thing, per se, but I think it would've been a lot cooler to actually invoke some of the equipment actually used to detect character in the Silver Age, such as the doohickey from the Luthor story or that aura thingamabob Dynamo Boy had. The Bierbaums certainly would've used something like that.

And this being the 2008-style DCU, I'm actually surprised Imra didn't just go ahead and lobotomize the bad guys, JLA-style, while she was in there.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe she 'installed' a self-limiting, lameness boosting suggestion while in there: would that qualify as a lobotomy?

Very similar to the result Zatanna reached with Dr. Light, if no one else.

Extrapolation: the ACTION storyline is one big sequel to IDENTITY CRISIS.

Uh-oh. I do *not* want to speculate about who's going to be/has been Sue Dibny.

Machinary was used on Legionnaires once they joined-- remember the Molecule Master story in the Cockrum/Grell era?

It'd only make sense to weed out some candidates using it... unless there are future ethical considerations we haven't really seen spelled out.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Theories to satisfy no one but me:

Imra's detection of the League members' deviance is a sign of just how deviant they were. They made no attempt to hide their mental imbalances because they did not even recognize them as undesirable. When someone knew to disguise their motivations, Imra's scan was not intrusive enough to tell, nor was it intrusive enough to tell that someone would become a future threat as opposed to just another of society's misfits.

Every biological action requires the organism to expend energy. Perhaps Durlans' metabolisms cannot accomodate the powers of certain organisms simply because they do not have enough stored energy to begin with.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
So it looks like we'll be seeing more of this Legion in Final Crisis and possibly in a side series (limited -- I'm guessing) with Geoff Johns and possibly George Perez as creators.

Dan DiDio mentioned the possibility of three Legions. Alongs with the Lightning Saga Legion and the Shooter/Manapul Legion -- maybe we'll see an entirely new take (maybe villainous if they come from Earth 3) on the team.

While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit weary of where all of this is headed.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit wary of where all of this is headed.

Didio loves killin' folk, so I also dread what could come of this. Is he gonna kill off two of the three Legions? Seems like a tremendous waste. Even if they aren't being used, there's no reason why a writer three years from now won't want to take advantage of them.

Then again, some of my favorite series take little-used or lesser-known characters and make interesting use of them. X-Factor, Power Company, Exiles, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, Teen Titans, etc. If comics editors keep pulling a 'Bar with No Name' on every second-tier character out there, they only succeed in taking away colors from their palette.

Wolverine was once a second-tier nobody who showed up in a Hulk comic once, after all, before he developed the mutant power to make money.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit wary of where all of this is headed.

Didio loves killin' folk, so I also dread what could come of this. Is he gonna kill off two of the three Legions?
I'd expect something more like Giffen's old "hat trick", with a bunch of random casualties from each version of the team.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
You know what, I saw the preview pages and I really like the nod to Fire Lad being slim and Chlorophyll Kid being chubby. Good to see different body types being shown in comics.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't like Cham Girl's use of an invective if it's just tossed aside. I know as someone who was standing there watching the goings on, I'd call her out on it as proof of Legion intent. There's a plot point there.

I love the line-up of characters and historical references. If there's not a Planatary Chance Machine somewhere in this story, I'll be disappointed.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
jimgallagher: I think Naltorians' powers originally came from their science. In that solo story, it was the machines they used to regulate the earthquakes that were interfering with their visions: they were vibrating on an inconvenient frequency, or something, so Nura had to recalibrate them so there wouldn't be any negative effects.

I looked up Adv. 317 last night and it only says that she's from the scientific world Naltor (probably to explain how she could rig that generator to change L Lass's power, etc.) and that she has the most powerful visions on the planet. Nothing about where the visions come from.

Also in her origin story, I noticed that Mon-El says she's a real dreamboat. He calls her Dreamboat again in Action 380-something-or-other's "Lament for a Legionnaire". Nice bit of continuity that I hadn't noticed before.

[ February 27, 2008, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
So they screened out people with "psychotic tendencies and deviant obsessions", according to Mr. Goes-Crazy-A-Lot-and-Builds-Supergirl Robots?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Good point...perhaps Brainy's mind is so complex/advanced that Saturn Girl couldn't really read him and they all just hoped for the best.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
well then wouldnt have star boy not made it to, cause he's crazy?

maybe she has a code on who can come in like maybe the rejects mabye they wanted to join to hurt people where brainy just wanted to help?

that makes sense right?

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
A good day for the Legion. Both LSH #39 and Action #862 were strong issues. This issue was my favorite of the of Action storyline, so far. Frank's art has really evened out. No bulging eyes. The opening sequence had a great nostalgic feel, the action sequences looked great, and the battle scenes between Superman and Earth-Man in the final pages were simply stunning.

The Subs were fun, exactly what they should be.
The dialouge was solid. In the end, though, the story was carried by the action scenes. Very dramatic.

We are kind of being put into a position of having to choose between Legions these days. I consider myself to be in the Shooter/Manapul camp, but I'm hard pressed to find much fault with Johns and Frank this month.

[ February 27, 2008, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.