Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Ultra Boy's ability to fly... (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ultra Boy's ability to fly...
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I figured it out. In the late seventies there was the "Unknown Crisis". *poof* Ultra Boy can fly and Karate Kid can detect any weakness.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
In Adv. 358 Ultra Boy flies without a flight ring. He says he's going to switch to ultra speed and "hope those metal mammoths are too heavy to fly." So I think flight was a function of his ultra speed.

He also tells Superboy in Adv. 361 that his flight ring is damaged and he can't fly and use his other powers at the same time so Superboy tells him to make himself invulnerable and he throws him at a falling boulder.

I'd have to look it up to make sure but in Adv. 316 when he is expelled, I think he's shown flying without a flight belt.

Those are the only early instances I can think of off the top of my head.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting. Well, I'd say that pretty much establishes the ability.

It's still curious that it's never listed among his abilties in the 60s, however.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Okay, I just checked Adv. 316, and I think it supports your "function of super-speed" theory. In one panel, he's shown tossing several Legionnaires around with super-strength, but when they decide to call in Mon-El, he thinks "I'll switch me ultra-energy to super-speed and get away!"

The next panel shows him, however, flying with Mon-El in pursuit.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In #340, when Computo turns off the Legion's powers, we see Ultra Boy falling from the sky and ME-Lad unable to bite steel.

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I did some more checking last night. In Adv. 310, Ultra Boy is shown wearing a flight belt and doesn't use any powers.

In Adv. 314, which I believe is the first issue in which Ultra Boy displays multiple powers, he does indeed fly without a belt.

I did check Adv. 316 and reached the same conclusion as EDE from the panels he mentions: Flight is a funciton of his super speed.

One thing has always puzzled me. In Superboy #117, "The Five Legion Traitors" Ultra Boy and 4 other members from a parallel universe visit Superboy in Smallville. In every panel where they are shown flying, 2 other members are carrying Ultra Boy. Everyone wears flight belts except Ultra Boy. Why didn't he have a belt? Or why didn't he just fly under his own power?

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe he just wanted to cuddle?
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't it mentioned or at least implied in TMK somewhere that Jo might have all kinds of crazy powers when he channels his ultra energy throughout his body. I always understood that when Roxxas blew him up, he was somehow able to unintentionally travel back in time via his powers. Am I dead wrong on that? Ultra-time travel, especially in light of his grudge with Glorith, would have been fascinating to follow-up on.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Didn't Roxxas just use some kind of time device on him?

But I believe it was theorized somewhere that he might have additional powers that he hadn't discovered.

Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
"I'll switch me ultra-energy to super-speed and get away!"

This was also when Ultra Boy was going through his "Irish Leprechaun" phase... [Wink]
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Well he should probably have telepathey or telekinesis. If Brainy teaches him how to switch his ultra-energy to his brain! That would be kind of cool. maybe that is what he did to figure out the time travel stuff in v4 annual #1.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I was actually thinking yesterday that it would be cool for him to develop ultra-kinesis, kind of similar to what the Phantom Zone villains do in Superman II!
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Didn't Roxxas just use some kind of time device on him?

A chronal-howitzer IIRC

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

No, I think that's what Shrinking Violet used on Glorith later.

--------------------

Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
If memory serves, Roxxas had some sort of temporal grenade he was saving for a Daxamite, but since he was taking such a pounding, he had no choice but to use it on UB.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.