Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legend of Valor -- Visited (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Legend of Valor -- Visited
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that there is no reason to see the same aliens in the 20th/21st centuries that we see in the 30th/31st. One important reason not to include the same aliens in both settings is that faster and more efficient space travel will enable humans to encounter worlds undreamed of a thousand years earlier. Many of the races in the Legion's future would not be known to exist in the present day.

As for Tamarians, Psions, etc., existing in the future: there are many possibilities. They could be extinct. They could have bred and merged with other races. They could have simply changed their names and the surface features of their cultures. Just as countries undergo changes in real life, so would extraterrestrial societies.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
As for Tamarians, Psions, etc., existing in the future: there are many possibilities. They could be extinct. They could have bred and merged with other races. They could have simply changed their names and the surface features of their cultures. Just as countries undergo changes in real life, so would extraterrestrial societies.

I'd like to see those reasons in a new story. Maybe by T&MB with a recap of how Mon-El is responsible for the dysporia of the human race. [Wink]

Ok, that might be going to far. I think DC should avoid using the Legionverse aliens and use more of the ones that already appear in the "present" DCU.

The Khunds appeared in a recent Ion issue. eh.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The worst thing is that when the Khunds were first introduced, they were supposed to be this completely unknown race from distant space with a vast empire who were suddenly invading the U.P.

Now they're like boring generic aliens who pop up everywhere in the 21st century.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
quote:

I'd like to see those reasons in a new story. Maybe by T&MB with a recap of how Mon-El is responsible for the dysporia of the human race. [Wink]

DC is missing a great opportunity to tell stories of what happened in the millenium between our time and the Legion's. Understandably, they don't want to tie too many things down, otherwise it might hamper future writers as the Adult Legion was accused of doing. But there's plenty of time (and space) to explore these other settings.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The worst thing is that when the Khunds were first introduced, they were supposed to be this completely unknown race from distant space with a vast empire who were suddenly invading the U.P.

Now they're like boring generic aliens who pop up everywhere in the 21st century.

Agreed. I winced at Invasion for those exact reasons. While tying Dominator interest ot Earth worked, the rest did not.

Nor has any other tie... I recall Despero escaping from Takron-Galtos at one point. Aaaaaargh!

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
[QUOTE]DC is missing a great opportunity to tell stories of what happened in the millenium between our time and the Legion's. Understandably, they don't want to tie too many things down, otherwise it might hamper future writers as the Adult Legion was accused of doing. But there's plenty of time (and space) to explore these other settings.

I completely disagree. The more one fills in the gap, the more the Legion gets the carpet pulled from under it. Look at the rag-tag GL Corps/Darkstar history, and its LSH ties as an example of this (let alone post-Crisis Superman "continuity").
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I'm not familiar with the Green Lantern Corps/Darkstar history, Kent. But just because one story or storyline created complications doesn't mean that the rest of the third millennium should be off limits. After all, many of those stories may have nothing to do with the Legion.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

it wasn't just one storyline, HWW - pretty much any storyline with strong cross-millenial links has backfired. I just used GL as an example.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Can you provide some examples of how they have backfired, Kent? I had largely stopped reading DC's mainstream books before the Darkstars were introduced in 1992, and I don't recall any other stories (except for the odd Space Museum story or Booster Gold's origin) that were set in that millenium.

In fact, the stories I do recall are Legion-related ("Soljer's Private War," S/LSH # 210, which referenced the 28th century, and the backstory of Computo/Robotica in the reboot). Maybe I just have a one-track mind where the future is concerned. [Wink]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
One aspect of the Valor legend/story that I really liked was this "ordinary hero becomes a god". Although it wasn't often featured, Valor was sometimes shown dealing with the consequences of being worshipped. Jeckie called on him to use this influence when there was Dark Circle trouble on Orando and he refused. However, he did use his exalted position on Cargg to expose the Dark Circle there.

Another person might have let all this go to his head and exploited people, or live a celebrity life, or just become impossible to live with, but Lar withdrew from it. If you've become a god, but don't want to sit on a throne and dispense wisdom, what else do you do?

In this sense, I think it was a hindrance to the character as a Legionnaire. How do you function on a team mission when people are worshipping you wherever you go? So I really like the idea of Lar leading a Wanderers team, or working the edges of the galaxy - it would enable the character to keep the complexities of his godlike-status, operating in areas where perhaps no one had even heard of the legend of Valor.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Good points, Cramer. I think it was smart of the reboot team to keep Valor's identity secret from the general population. It prevented people from reacting as Triad did when they saw him.

One of my favorite scenes, although it doesn't portray Lar in the best of light, is from Legionnaires # 31, when he comes out of the Stasis Zone and is worshiped by Triad. He tries to turn her away gently, but then is informed by Cosmic Boy that he should lay low for awhile, until Valor fever subsides. He then lets Triad have it, blaming her and people like her for the fact that he's gone from one prison into another.

There is so much in this scene:

1. Triad learns that Valor isn't the perfect god she thought he was.

2. Valor learns that his past actions, though heroic, have had unintended consequences for him. No good deed goes unpunished, and all that.

3. We see that Valor has a temper. While again not his best moment in comics, it gives him a human quality which, I think, is handled much more believably than his outbursts in Annual # 2.

--------------------

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
i never saw mon-el as a loner type after all we knew he had great affection for Superboy, and was close to Jo. Yes he did brood a lot after the great darkness saga at least that's where I saw the broddness begin. And defintely when his serum started running down. columinating in issue 23 of the baxter story. but never really much else (unless you;re taking what happend to daxam and him being upset over what the UP was treating the surviving daxamites. I thought those were in character and normal.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Mon-El should go emo? (i just learned what that word meant...i am old).

I didn't start reading Mon-El till after the GDS. I do remember him being happy though. With Shady, horse playing with Jo, or that double date camping trip.

Still I like a brooding/serious Mon-El. It seperates him a bit from Superboy.

Plus it seperates him from the others. I'd like to see these characters have more cultural differences rather than it be a all american high school. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

The brooding or loner aspect didn't become defined until much later, but, as with many characters, you can find clues or subtle hints in some stories that might support this development:

In ADVENTURE COMICS # 341 (the second half of the Computo story), Mon is present throughout, but has little, if anything, to say.

In ADVENTURE COMICS # 333 ("The War Between Krypton and Earth"), he is absent from the story until the very end, when he arrives in time to stop a bomb.

In ACTION COMICS # 384, Mon learns that he is dying and chooses to spend his last hours in action instead of with friends.

In SUPERBOY # 191, Mon runs for leader, yet worries that he will crack under the strain of leadership (in spite of having already served a term as leader).

In SUPERBOY # 203, Mon, now leader, goes ballistic when a Legionnaire (Invisible Kid) is derelict on duty.

While none of these episodes prove conclusively that he brooded, they do suggest that he may have been more comfortable being by himself or keeping his own counsel. He was utterly dependable when needed (ADV. 333), but didn't participate in the main adventure. He served as leader out of a sense of duty, not because he enjoyed being in command.

Mon-El was happy, of course, particularly with Shady. He also regarded the Legion as family (though, as with any other family, that doesn't mean he wanted to be around them all the time).

There is, of course, leeway to interpret these stories differently. But, like Jorge, I think a tendency to brood or go off by himself distinguishes Mon from Superboy.

[ June 21, 2007, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

HWW, and I guess that is why in v4 they explained his temper tantrums, loner attitude as him being part Eltro Gand?

You'd think constant contact around lead despite the serum would make him a bit crazy.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.