Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LEGION Ending?!? (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: LEGION Ending?!?
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
Now Steve Lightle is talking about his NEXT Legion project. Steve's a jewel, but to reiterate your point, why should *he* be the messenger?

I think that the internet has given fans a lot more access to behind the scenes info on upcoming stuff -- sometimes directly from the creators and two things can happen: either DC can force a gag on creators to not disclose anything on the internet before they're ready (like they do for high profile projects) or they can feed the demand and give us all breaking info on all their decisions as they happen. Neither of those seem reasonable to me, so yeah, sometimes creators will leak stuff before DC's ready to announce it themselves. It's not like they're withholding info to mess with us.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by capt._dallas:
That this information is coming from Gail, and not from Wacker, is upsetting many of us, Drake, as is the fact that the varied pieces of this "relaunch" puzzle just don't link up smoothly. You can argue they're downright contradictory:

--DnA's (and Batista's) departure is announced 5 months ago, but no replacement team is announced. That's ODD in comicdom when everything is planned out WAY ahead of time.

--Waid admits that he and Kitson are working on a project "dear to their hearts" and many assume that means Legion (why? Kitson worked on L.E.G.I.O.N., not LSH)

--Gail "slips" in an interview that Waid will be the next Legion writer (notice though that SHE never mentions Waid; she only responds to the interviewers question about the direction of Legion after her arc)

--Kitson tells another interviewer that his next work is on JSA, not Legion.

--Wacker pronounces the series is cancelled without ANY indication that a relaunch is in the works.

Two or three important points you missed:

--Rich Johnson posted a green-light rumour back in December that "I understand that Mark Waid and Barry Kitson are to take over "Legion" some time next year." This was also the first place (same rumour) that Giffen doing an issue was mentioned.

--Kitson: "I've been a Legion fan since I was about 5 years old!" Waid: "I've been reading Legion for TWENTY-SEVEN years (and this is a quote from 1994). AND there is no bigger fan of the Legion ALIVE than me."

--Kitson first mentioned that he was doing "200 pages of a JSA mini" on the oldDCMB when he first announced that he was working on Empire (the DC series, not the original issues, to clarify). This is well over a year ago now.

No, there's nothing outright proven, especially on Kitson. But there's strong reason to suspect at least.

[ May 13, 2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Sanity or Madness? ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Do we know what the JSA mini-series is? Could it possibly be the JSA-Legion crossover that many have been clamoring for?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
As a long time fan, I'll echo some of the sentiments expressed by others. The last time the LSH was rebooted many of us got so upset about the changes that we were GONE for years. Many have never come back. Yes Legion has picked up new readers but it was at the expense of longtime fans.

I'm not certain I would stay for ANOTHER reboot. It took me quite a few years to even consider looking at it again. (Actually it was meeting many of you on the DC Board that finally convinced me to take a look again.)

It's not as if the book can handle losing scores of readers. Last time I checked the numbers weren't spectacular.

What bothered me most was the callous way in which Wacker made the announcement in the Pulse article. That showed no sense of concern or caring about his "customers" (yes, that's what we are!) I would never treat my custmers in that fashion nor would I expect them to put up with it.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it is the long-rumored Society of Substitute All-Stars Special.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Do we know what the JSA mini-series is?

Yes. No Legion

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
God knows I love Gail. She is one of the few writers who takes the time to slum it with the fans, after all...

But I have to admit her vagueness has been irksome. (And the total silence from TPTB has been infuriating.)
Gail seems like a really nice person, but she should have realized that announcing the cancellation of THE LEGION would put us in a collective tizzy. And then to be so ambiguous about the future...

"really big plans" COULD mean TPTB are planning a relaunch in Sept with a new LSH #1
OR it could mean we can expect another reboot (or even a deboot)
OR it could mean they're planning a maxi/mini-series
OR it could mean a series of one-shots and specials
OR it could mean the Legion is simply slated to have a spate of guest apperances in the Superman books or something

It seems to me if DC had no intention of giving us any relevent info in the first place they should have just kept their mouts shut and not give us premature gray hairs.
We DO deserve better than vague hyperbolae.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
And then some of us complain about their being closemouthed? It seems they can't win.

With seeing how CrossGen, now faltering, has been leaving fans of many of their books twisting in the wind, despite their historic policy of openness (certainly more of it than with DC), I'm not sure that a change in corporate attitude would make much difference.

If the mishaps surrounding Greg Land and "Sojourn" (see the Dr. Gym'll's thread) are any indication, even relative openness is pounced upon for signs and portents by anxious fans.

I don't like this vagueness any more than the rest of you, but it's not that helpful to individual blood pressures to get too worked up. When DC's honchos make up their minds, they'll make up their minds, and we can really do very little about it besides letting off steam. And even that might be of marginally more effect over at DC's own message board.

Simone is only one step up the info food chain from us, and Wacker only two steps. Despite their (respectively) friendly and contemptuous attitudes, they're not setting policy, either.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by braalian:
God knows I love Gail. She is one of the few writers who takes the time to slum it with the fans, after all...

But I have to admit her vagueness has been irksome. (And the total silence from TPTB has been infuriating.)
Gail seems like a really nice person, but she should have realized that announcing the cancellation of THE LEGION would put us in a collective tizzy. And then to be so ambiguous about the future...

...It seems to me if DC had no intention of giving us any relevent info in the first place they should have just kept their mouts shut and not give us premature gray hairs.
We DO deserve better than vague hyperbolae.

Gail didn't announce the cancellation, Stephen Wacker did. If anything, both of them are trying to help and give as much information as they can.

Overall, I think they have pills that can help us through this. Just ask your doctor about them.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by braalian:
OR it could mean a series of one-shots and specials
OR it could mean the Legion is simply slated to have a spate of guest apperances in the Superman books or something

i don't see these things as "very big plans", maybe they might be the opposite, especially the second one i quoted.

anyway, can you explain to me by which winds of fate steve wacker became the legion editor?
the more of his quotes i read, the more i think he doesn't care the legion, so how can he be the engine of DC's XXXIst century?

[ May 13, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Kayak ]

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Not to sound like I'm contradicting you, I just see things differently and considering how little info we have, I prefer not to get worked up trying to decipher these clues. I'll wait til we hear something official before reacting.

Well, you are contradicting me, Drake, but that's cool. We all have different opinions here, and unlike what I see at DCMB, here at legionworld.net, we all treat each other with respect. [Big Grin]

[ May 13, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: capt._dallas ]

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas

quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
Gail didn't announce the cancellation, Stephen Wacker did. If anything, both of them are trying to help and give as much information as they can.

Overall, I think they have pills that can help us through this. Just ask your doctor about them.

Their vague pronouncements about the future of The Legion are attempts to help us? They're not giving us information; they're giving us conflicting sentiments. From Wacker: 38 is the end of the Legion. From Gail: DC has great plans for the Legion.

And.....? That's not help, that's torture.

Now my doctor has diagnosed me with paranoia, so I know exactly what pills you're talking about, but I want to know one thing, Awkward Pause Boy! HOW DO YOU KNOW MY DOCTOR? Why would you be talking to my doctor? I knew you had it out for me! The first time I saw your missing avatar, I said to myself, Watch Out! This Awkward Pause Boy wants your appendix on his platter!

Stay away, Awkward Pause Boy!

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ May 13, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: capt._dallas ]

--------------------

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
(Everyone, I think Capt. Dallas may be on to our plans)
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas

quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
(Everyone, I think Capt. Dallas may be on to our plans)

I HEARD THAT!

--------------------

M'onel
May be Lethbridge's #1 Legion Fan...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M'onel   Author's Homepage   Email M'onel         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by capt._dallas:
I HEARD THAT!

Naturally, this is a message board. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world

From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.