Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LEGION #32-- SPOILERS (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGION #32-- SPOILERS
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I read the issue at an IHOP. They've got these swirly pancake things that come with fruit topping. Unlike Blacula, I found both the food and the issue to be more substantive.

My only regret, in fact, is that DnA didn't tell this story 10-15 issues ago, instead of making us wade through Universo and Darkseid. The Credo story may not be the most original idea, but it's a natural follow-up to their best Legion work, and makes a fitting culmination to their run.

I liked the opening focus on Jarth. Even though I don't like what they've done to Jan and Garth, I appreciated Garth's reaction to his predicament ("I look in the mirror and I scare myself"). We also learned that he doesn't need sleep and doesn't know what to do with the "long, empty hours." Isn't that what did Jan in? Perhaps Dreamer should keep Jarth company.

M'Onel's sudden appearance was a pleasant surprise. I don't even care what costume he wears (though I do miss the rounded shirt-tails.) Does a Daxamite really need band-aids, though? The issue contained a nice nod to his relationship with Superboy ("Not now, old friend"), and M'On putting his hands on Jarth's shoulders seemed somehow appropriate. M'On is the "big brother" not only of Superboy, but the entire Legion, it seems.

The scene of Lar's entry was also reminiscent of Star Trek, as others have pointed out, what with the Kwai "red shirt" serving no other purpose than to get offed. DnA seemed to borrow from TV sci fi later on, as well: Jaz's "Don't pick a fight with us" speech evoked Delenn's speech to Earth Force fighters in Babylon 5 ("If you value your lives, be somewhere else.") That's okay --
Jaz handled the bluff quite well. In fact, her depiction here "worked" better than it has in quite awhile. She almost went too far in posturing with Singularity and had to be reigned in by Saturn Girl, reminding us of Jaz's old hot-head personality.

Jarth's willingness to sacrifice himself again is true to character, and makes me almost glad that he's been revived in whatever form. (I prefer dead characters stay that way.) It also makes sense that his appearance as the Progenitor played a major role in this story. I guess DnA did have a reason for it, after all. [Smile]

It doesn't suprise me that Singularity and his minions are becoming the very thing they despised. Such is the nature of hate. We see ample evidence of this every day. The ending, of course, was no surprise, either, but we needed a cliffhanger, so it served that purpose well.

My only problems, in fact, were with the art (sacrilege, I know). Batista continues to delight in most ways, but what was up with Superboy's fingers on Page 6? Also, one page later -- I thought crotch shots had gone out with Coipel.

So, # 32 was the most satisfying Legion read in well over a year. It proves that DnA still have their chops, but they should have stuck with this story -- being an extension of LOST, as it is -- since they do seem to have only one Legion story to tell.

[ May 04, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow sounds really good
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
It was a pretty good read, and it's helped pick up my interest in the Legion once more. I just hope DNA can pull off a wrap-up in just one issue.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I largely agree with HWW, but I do like the art.

My bet is that Singularity is really Mike McAvennie, and he's going to pun three legionnaires to death in #33.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SeaPea
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SeaPea   Email SeaPea         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't like Jarth, being a Jan fan, but it was an interesting story and the artwork was great. Superboy is a hoot. Looking forward to next issue.

--------------------
Go get'em Jan

From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

HWW-

ever thought of renaming yourself He Who IHOPs?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
HWIHOP? Kind of unwieldy.

But I'd rather be that than HWMcD's!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Did Somebody Say HWMcD's?

Slogan Lad made me say that.

saturnrings
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saturnrings   Email saturnrings         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been out awhile and started to comment on issue #31, but decided that if I do not critique it, I can forget it.

As for #32, we are back on track. Yes, there were flaws and they have all been discussed by previous posters on this topic, but still, it was a good issue, can't want for #33, and hope that we will get either Jan or Garth back, whole and uncorrupted.

It was as a good run DnA. I will miss you!

From: durham, nc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I agree.

despite some of the quirks since Coipel left, DnA will stand as one of the all-time greatest Legion teams.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.