Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Ayla I think of as aye-la, Shvaughn always just seems like another spelling of Siobhan to me. Bgtzl... eh, that's one of those names that i just sort of mentally skip because I have no clue as to how it's supposed to be said. [Big Grin]

And Querl is exactly how you've put it minesurfer, assuming you're talking with an American accent.

Over at the GLA yahoo group I seem to remember a lot of discussion about how Thom is pronounced too. Is it just 'Tom' spelt with an h or do you pronounce it actually with a hard, or soft, 'th'? Personally I've just read it as 'Tom'.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
You caught me. I was actually using my fake Cockney accent. I'll go back to sounding American.

Thom = Tom as far as I'm concerned.

I've never seen Tomas. So it only makes sense that when you shorten Thomas to Thom that you retain the sound of the initial syllable.

Which would bring us to an interesting situation with the initial "Gim" that started this thread.

To me Gim = Jim. Since Jim is shortened from James, a logical conlusion would be that Gim is shortened from Games. To me Games has a hard "G", but for some reason I can't pronounce Gim with a hard "G".

Imra = himra without the h

Gates has a funny real name too, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. His planet would also be susceptible to sophomoric proununciations too I believe.

This all brings up the question of how do you pronounce Siobhan? [Big Grin] (and don't say it's pronounced Shvaughn either, 'cause if you did I would have to think that you are a rabid anti-Stu-dite).

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Ayla - A (as in hay or weigh) la

Bgtzl - Big-zle (I leave the T as silent

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Shvaughn - Shih-Vaughn

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always thought of them this way:
"Jim"
"Tom"
"Eye-luh"

Here's the tough one: is the shortened version of Shrinking Violet's name pronounced Veye or Vee? I realize that Veye is more logical (and has been used in the book), but for some reason Vee has always seemed more natural to me. I've always though of it as just the first letter of "Violet" rather than the first two letters.

I suppose I'm the only one who pronounces it that way.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Jim
Tom
A (as in hey!) la

and...

Bugzuttle!

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I've always used the hard 'g' to pronounce it Gim instead of Jim.

This is how I used to pronounce it when I was a kid. Back in the late '80s I finally realized that it probably was just a creative spelling for "Jim" and have pronounced it hte former way ever since.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
OFFICIAL NON-DEBATEBALE LEGION PRONUNCIATION KEY

Rokk Krinn = ROCK KRIN (rhymes with grin)
Imra Ardeen = IM-rah AHR-deen
Garth Ranzz = GAHRTH RHANZ
Lourno Durgo = LOO-or-nooh DUHR-go
Tinya Wazzo = TIN-yah WHA-zo
Gim Allon = JIM AL-lohn
Reep Daggle = REEP DAG-gel
Lyle Norg = LYLE NORG
Jenni Ognats = JEN-nee AWHG-nats
Querl Dox = QWIRRL (rhymes wirth squirrel) DOCKS
Dirk Morgna = DIRK MORG-nah
Salu Digby = SAY-loo DIG-bee
Ayla Rannnz = EYE-la RHANZ
Jan Arrah = JAN AIR-uh
Lar GAND = LAHR GAND
Joe Nah = JOE NAH
Nura Nal - NOOR-uh NAL
Brin Londo = BRIN LOHN-doe
Shikari = SHICK-ar-ee
Gear = TOKE-en
Ti'julk M'suraz = TEE-jhulk MY-sore-ass
Shvaugh Erin = SHAWN AIR-ehn
Gigi Cuisimano = JEE JEE QUASI-mohn-oh
Zoe Saugn = ZOH-ee ZHON
Thom Kallor = TOM KAL-lohr

Bgztl = BIGS-till
Carrg = KAR-guh
Colu = KAW-loo

More to come....

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always pronounced Gim as Jim, not because it's my name, but because he's occasionally been called Giant Gim or Gigantic Gim, which I take to be an alliterating nickname. Jigantic Gim just sounds dumb.

I've always pronounced Salu as Sall-oo, not Say-loo.

Thom as Tom. One of my best friends spells his name this way.

Nura as Nuhr-uh

Shikari as Shuh-KAR-ee

Ayla as A-luh

Luornu as Lorna, just to make it easier.

Cuisimano as Koo-zee-mahn-oh (which brings up the question of is GiGi a hard or soft G? Or one of each? [Smile] )

and Tyroc as Token. [Smile]

Everybody else I agree with the Duke on.

[ February 13, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

I've always pronounced Salu as Sall-oo, not Say-loo.

I used to as well, but it bugged me to have all those people on HEE HAW jumping up out of cornfields yelling her name all the time, so I changed it.
toddcam
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddcam   Email toddcam         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:

Ti'julk M'suraz = TEE-jhulk MY-sore-ass
Zoe Saugn = ZOH-ee ZHON

Don't know if this affects your pronunciations, but the spellings are Ti'julk Mr'asz and Zoe Saugin.
Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Jim
Tom
Loo-OR-noo
SAH-loo
EYE-luh
IM-rah
Big-ZIT-sul

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Since it came up in "JLA Adventures" with the Legion, how do you pronounce "Kilg%re"??
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I read it like the % wasn't there, and the most appropriate vowel "o" was. It was Kilgore to me.

This is the one thing about the issue that I didn't like. I mean everytime I was really starting to get into the Legioness of the issue, trying to figure out how to pronounce the Kilg%re just threw me back into the real world. It really broke up the rhythm of the issue, until I just decided Kilgore it is.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I tried once putting the word "percent" in place of the %, but "Kilgpercentre" just doesn't work visually.

I've always assumed "Thom" to be "Tom"

But I used to read "Imra" as "Irma" until I realized I was transposing letters.

And I always read Querl as "quairl" (more of an "a" sound than an "e"). But the "squirrel" comparison makes sense.

And I always treated the pronunciation of "VI" as "VEYE" as that was the abbreviated version of the full "Violet". It's either that or her friends were calling her "Roman Numeral Six"!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.