Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 36)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
DC's website always had it coming out on Dec. 26th. I remember looking it up right after the last issue came out on November 21st.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
The banner of covers here at Legionworld says Dec 19.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
My mistake. Fixed.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, even newsarama has it on for Dec. 19 http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Dec07/previews/19.html but thanks for the clarification, guys. [Smile]
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
No one's talking about issue #860 yet? Or has our crappy-ass server prevented people from doing so?

Here's the alternate cover by Steve -

Click for fullsize image

Beautiful job, despite the fact that I hate the costume. I wish he'd stop by and talk with us again. [Frown]

Here's some interesting bits from inside -

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

And...

Click Here For A Spoiler

Click for fullsize image

Is it just me or was there waaayyyy too many splash pages in this issue. Really this was half a comic.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't been very happy with most of the new uniforms, but Polar Boy's was kinda snappy.

Lighning Lass's was okay, though I'd have preferred an update on her 70s look instead of the 60s look.

Shadow Lass looked great, but Night Girl should never have brought back the boufant.

You know, the story is okay, but it's seeing the classic Legion working with Superman that I find so interesting.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This one's off my pull list. Large pages of silly looking (to me) characters doing nothing. While I was with others, excited about a more "classic" Legion, I cannot follow the logic of this depiction? I feel like I'm missing an inside joke?
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Even if I were not biased against the Johnsboot Legion (I won't pretend I'm not), I couldn't get past Frank's freakishly ugly artwork. Any artist who can make the magnificant Lydda Jath look downright ordinary shouldn't be drawing the Legion, imo.

I wish Steve Lightle had drawn the interiors, too.

So, Brainy is florging nuts again. What makes *this* B5 different from 3boot Brainy? What makes any of the LSaga Legionnaires different or special except for their relationship with Superman? Nothing I can see. I'm so bored with this pretense.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue was ok for me. It doesn't seem to move as much as the previous ones, maybe there were too many splash pages? I did like the fact that the Legion (and the subs *yay subs*) aren't taking this lying down.

As for the art, I think Gary Frank will be fine on Superman, but his Legion sure is ugly. I find the costumes to be blah, it reminds me of some pieces of modern art where the artist combines colors that shouldn't be combined so the end product looks like my dog just threw up. Maybe some people like it but I don't. The only costume update I'm cool with is Dawnstar's. The others seem uninspired.

Also, faces are a problem. The women are too ugly and look to old (THAT'S Night Girl, for a second I thought it was Tinya's mom). The guys do look emancipated, but hey, they are on the run, but for some reason the females come across more unnatural looking than the guys.

And I'm hoping Brainy is just tricking the Coluns in order to save the day, I don't really want to read about evil Brainy, I mean, come on.

However, I do like the Superman parts and this issue is still alright. Personally I've always had problems with future stories that are like this, especially since its a dark dystopic future only a few years removed from happy Legion. It just implies that none of the ideals of the Legion were ever really part of society, and that as soon as the Legion (or heroes) disappear all the baser parts of humanity come out and no one raises above it. So I was against the PREMISE of this story going it. The fact that I'm not hating it shows that I do find this Legion to be admirable and I'm ignoring the commentary on human society because it is a comicbook and really, it is the type of story to be told in a situation like this.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to how this ends and if we'll see other Legionnaires show up to save the day. I'm hoping for a happy ending, and not a non-ending ala Lightning Saga.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the issue didn't move much. Seems like they're relying a bit too much on reveals of legionnaires. Speaking of which, who's left? So far, I count no mention or glimpse of Sun Boy or Element Lad. Anyone else? And, I'm a tad puzzled at Ayla's situation--it doesn't seem like as big a revelation as was hinted at in Lightning Saga.

I dunno about Brainy being crazy, though. Looks like Superman was in a trance and saw a projection of Brainy--not necessarily the real thing.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
Yeah, the issue didn't move much. Seems like they're relying a bit too much on reveals of legionnaires. Speaking of which, who's left? So far, I count no mention or glimpse of Sun Boy or Element Lad. Anyone else?

No mention of Luornu... I suppose her situation would be too complicated to address what with one of her dead selves being back in time fighting at KK's side.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Yes, well, I'll have to wait until I read the issue before I comment on the story but regarding the art, I don't think you can be more wrong.

Have you or have you not noticed that each Legionnaire has a different and individual face and body type - something very few artists bother to do - and the story is dark enough to warrant a more "haggard" look for the Legionnaires?

This is neither "Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica" where everybody is cartoonish, has exactly the same face and is happy all the time, nor is it the 80s.
If people can't accept a new look and a classic/modern artistic style that's as distinct and "right" for the Legion's vast universe as the artists' we consider "classics" was, then I feel they might be happier rereading the old issues they liked or the 3boot. I'd also like to remind you that the classic/original Legion in Action is NOT the 3boot, so if people expect what they've come to know as the Legion in the 3boot, they are definitely going to be disappointed. There's no "eat it grandpa" in the classic Legion. There's only sci-fi and heroism! [Big Grin] (OK, I'm kinda joking here. The 3boot has had its good points).

Not that I wouldn't have liked Lightle or LaRocque or Grell or Cockrum to draw the Legion again, but Gary Frank is a great artist and if people get over the "bulging eyes" thing they may actually notice ALL the art instead of focusing on a detail.
Not to mention that some people seem to capitalise on such details in order to bash Johns and Frank and the return of the classic Legion -without any real constructive criticism - and also rain on everybody else's parade which, frankly, isn't very nice. [Frown]

As for the overall story, if this storyline doesn't make sense then what does? "Eat it, grandpa" and "we'll show the adults who's boss?" or the "Svaughn/Sean" and the destruction of the Earth thing? [Razz]

[ December 29, 2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dain:
regarding the art, I don't think you can be more wrong.

Have you or have you not noticed that each Legionnaire has a different and individual face and body type - something very few artists bother to do - and the story is dark enough to warrant a more "haggard" look for the Legionnaires?

This is neither "Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica" where everybody is cartoonish, has exactly the same face and is happy all the time, nor is it the 80s.
If people can't accept a new look and a classic/modern artistic style that's as distinct and "right" for the Legion's vast universe as the artists' we consider "classics" was, then I feel they might be happier rereading the old issues they liked or the 3boot.

Thanks for the advice. [Roll Eyes]

"If people can't accept a new look"

the old "if you can't be happy with something 'new' you must be wrong" attack.

It's subjective. How can ther "wrong" and even if there could be, is it worth such an attack on otheres with an opinion different from yours? As for art, there is no "new." It's all been done somewhere, somehow.

Nobody here (that I can see) wrote that the ARTIST is a bad artist. They wrote words to the affect that they do not like the style, so how can they be "wrong?"

In this case, I imagine using your reasoning that the artist purposefully chose a specific as opposed to applied his own general style to this issue. The "eye" thing may be a signature, much like Bryne's faces or they may be something the artist chose to do distinctly here, but it's fair game to say it's not appreciated now isn't it.

As for the panels posted, I can't see any reason from a story telling POV that the 2nd, 3rd, or last of them would take up so much issue space and I PERSONALLY wouldn't consider any of them Poster material.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

First of all, I didn't attack anyone. Each person is entitled to their opinions and my reply was impersonal.
What I consider an attack or harassment is the fact that it seems increasingly difficult to post anything positive about the Legion in Action here in Legion World (and in a couple of other forums) and have a discussion about it with others who like it, because some people seem never to miss a chance to curse, bash, tear it apart and generally make things miserable for others.

You are partly right about the "if you can't be happy with something 'new' you must be wrong" thing but it doesn't apply either to me personally or to any of my posts. I suppose it could apply to people who only like the 3boot Legion (once again, I read every Legion comic that comes out. have never dropped it and never will)who seem to use it all the time on those fans who just don't like the 3boot.

I don't doubt it's subjective - and for the record I don't give advice - but I DO get the feeling that some people confuse "subjective" with "arbitrary" when they bash Frank's art or John's writing. It's one thing to not like his art style and another thing to use the "bulging" eyes as proof of how "ugly" his art, in general, is.
Please don't use the "different opinion than mine" thing because I've always respected everyone's opinion here and if I have nothing good to say about an artist I usually say nothing.
The same goes when people talk about something I hate about the Legion's history. I don't go around "raining in their parades" every chance I get. It's one thing to state an opinion once or twice and another thing to make it a point to suck the enthusiasm of others. We're supposed to have fun with the Legion, we're here because we love the Legion.

And my point stands: Look at the whole art in each issue and get over the bulging eyes thing. I'm sorry but it's not an opinion I can respect when someone focuses on one detail in a few panels and bases his/her opinion only on that. It is too biased, for lack of a better word, and biases aren't even valid subjective opinions.

Matthew E. and I argued a few weeks ago about the "originality" of the Legion in Action and my opinion was different than his, but he really defended his position and I enjoyed our discussion regardless of his having "a different opinion than mine".

And yes! People who got to know the Legion through the 3boot may not like the one in Action and people who first read an older Legion version may not like the 3boot or the Legion in Action or whatever. There are even new fans who never liked the 3boot and love the Legion in Action (stranger things have happened!)
There's no question about each one having the right to have his/her favorite Legion but chances are they are going to be disappointed by a Legion version that's too different to the one they like.

Finally, I thought it was clear in my last post that it's not constructive criticism that I mind, it's kneejerk negative reactions so what I said in my post didn't necessarily apply to everyone.

[ December 29, 2007, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not so impressed with this issue.

The 'world turns against the Legion' trope is a tried and true one, and I've loved it when it's been used well (the Universo Project being my favorite), but this one isn't doing it for me.

I liked Frank's art in Midnight Nation and Supreme Power, but here it's just not working for me. The Legion has always felt young to me, and all of the faces look wrinkly and their smiles like grimaces of pain.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.