Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 32)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Uranus Lad:

And I would also venture to guess that this may not be the same Legion as the one depicted in the Lightning saga, although I only read a couple of those issues. Mostly because of the appearance of Karate Kid who was killed well before the end of the "original" run.

This is the same one from the Lightning Saga story. They mentioned in LS that the founders had risked their own lives to bring KK back from the dead. It was a story that happened off panel somewhere between the Crisis and the Lightning Saga story.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And I would also venture to guess that this may not be the same Legion as the one depicted in the Lightning saga, although I only read a couple of those issues. Mostly because of the appearance of Karate Kid who was killed well before the end of the "original" run.

This is the same one from the Lightning Saga story. They mentioned in LS that the founders had risked their own lives to bring KK back from the dead. It was a story that happened off panel somewhere between the Crisis and the Lightning Saga story.

Interesting. So maybe some considerable time has passed respectively since the Legionnaires from the Lightning saga (at least the ones I saw were all wearing their old-style costumes) came to the "present" and the Legion we're seeing in Action? ...or maybe they were wearing their old costumes for super-nostalgia. Never liked the pointy yellow collar on KK. It was amazing it never poked anybody's eye out. Even more amazing is how he fit it under that skin-tight outfit he was disguised in in that issue of Justice League. Miraculous 30th century super-clothes I guess. [Razz] :tease:

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
It was revealed somewhere that the display in the Fortress consisted of the Legionnaires in costumes Superman most associated with each member.

I'm guessing that the Legionnaires chose to wear those in case they did bump into Superman. I don't know -- that story had a lot of WTF? moments.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

quote:
I'm really liking this version of the Legion. Gary Frank is the master of costume design as far as I'm concerned.

I liked most of his work for Squadron Supreme, but I just don't dig many of the Legion costumes -- for various reasons. I think Ultra Boy looks like a clown in that new get-up. And I don't like when an artist uses the same lame motif (sleeveless) over and over -- just like Kitson did the lame bare midriffs for just about all of the females.

I can understand showing the Legion in different costumes -- but as others have stated, it is a bit confusing to people who may have just been introduced to the Legion in the Lightning Saga.

To date, I think the cartoon has done the best job of updating classic costumes -- though some (certainly not all) of the new designs coming in the regular monthly are promising.

I do think it would be wise for DC to get everyone together and try to come up with one look for the Legion. Enough with every artist designing HIS version of the team.

[ December 01, 2007, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: kcekada ]

Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
I liked most of his work for Squadron Supreme, but I just don't dig many of the Legion costumes -- for various reasons. I think Ultra Boy looks like a clown in that new get-up. And I don't like when an artist uses the same lame motif (sleeveless) over and over -- just like Kitson did the lame bare midriffs for just about all of the females.
[/QB]

Have you been to a health club or a college campus lately? Sleeveless shirts for guys and bare midriffs for the girls are very popular.

Check out www.underarmour.com to see current trending in clothing for athletes. And since Ultra Boy is one of the Legion jocks, it makes sense to me that he would go sleeveless here. I'm just curious to see what look Gary will give Sun Boy whenever he shows up.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
the sleeveless look may be a nod to the enlarged red sun Earth now has.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
the sleeveless look may be a nod to the enlarged red sun Earth now has.

Would you elaborate on this? What do you mean? [Smile]

Re the costume changes: One of the charming things about the Legion was the more or less frequent change in uniforms. It was a way to make the 30th century look even more futuristic.
I wish they all had as individual costumes as possible and maybe it's time someone did a "Dave Cockrum" thing and changed some of the Legionnaires' look drastically by giving them new and wild designs. Jim Lee's designs of a few years ago had that quality. Futuristic fashion + wild designs + new esthetics.
I understand what Kcecada said about the bare midriffs (not that I object to it esthetically). It seems half the super-heroines and video game heroines today must conform to the midriff look. It's tiresome and boring.

I love most of the new costumes and they are quite
individual. There are some "sleeveless" ones but they are all very distinct and very pleasing to look at (well, except Shrinking Violet's costume).

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
*points out red stars are COLDER by definition than yellow stars, which are colder in turn than blue stars*

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I had to wait a week longer (CBSes waaay out here are frequently a week behind), but I have to say, part 2 really delivered. I have not been this drawn into a multi-issue Legion story... at least since Robotica/Legion Lost/TMK (all of which I read, entirely or in parts, at roughly the same time).

While Bedard's ruin, in comparison, ended extremely well (more so than Waid; Bedard not only concluded his run but Waid's, in my opinion), it was a solid hit - while Johns knocked it out of the park.

I am liking Franks' work. It really suits the story. The costumes fit the feel; my only quibble is (as someone else remarked) Dawny's seeming enlargement (from 70s/80s, although consistent with Lightning Saga).

I can see Universo or someone like that behind it all, but I think it would be all the more chilling for this to have been an honestly home-grown effort (I do expect a master villain, though. I hope it's not Querl).

I did not see anyone comparing the usuping of the Superman imagery to contemporary politics. I suppose it's just as well not to open that kettle of fish.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Colossal Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:

Have you been to a health club or a college campus lately? Sleeveless shirts for guys and bare midriffs for the girls are very popular.

[/QB]

These may be popular looks, but I highly doubt every guy is sleeveless and every girl is baring her belly.

I loved Kitson's design for Light Lass. Do I think every Legion in the female should wear the same top? No.

Just as I liked Phantom Girl in bell bottoms in the 70s, I certainly didn't want to see every female Legionnaire in the same.

Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I do think it would be wise for DC to get everyone together and try to come up with one look for the Legion. Enough with every artist designing HIS version of the team.
I'd have to disagree on that point. I think there's been too much emphasis on falling back on a "classic"costume to denote an individual character, and their development as a relateable, believable individual can fall by the wayside. Case in point, the undefined, mutable "personalities" of the early Legion.

Certainly there are iconic characters like Superman whose costume has changed very little where I doubt you'll ever see much change (and there's the secret identity aspect as well). Legionnaires don't have to worry about secret identities, they could change their costumes frequently if they wanted to. And really, some times you want your summer bare-midriff, sleeveless costume and sometimes you want a super-parka.

Also with the emergence of the multiple universes, I'd really like to see multiple versions of the Legion. I want to see what other creators do with them, a good story with good art should be first and foremost always.

I suppose this could be a little confusing for new readers but there is plenty to be confused about in comics in general. Things aren't the same as they were in the 70's when you bought your comics at the drugstore and the preponderance of readers were under 20. Most comic readers now (for better or worse) are adults and would hopefully have a more sophisticated understanding of things like a change of costume and be able to make those leaps. As an adult and a comic reader, I'd like to give us more credit than that.

And really, the costume differences are generally minor as far as the overall theme goes, although all of the Legionnaires have gone through many costume changes over the decades, most are still generally recognizable from their earlier versions with the rare exception of characters like Element Lad (doubtful we'll ever see a version of the pink and white costume again -but then again, you never know...).

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I'd have to disagree on that point. I think there's been too much emphasis on falling back on a "classic"costume to denote an individual character, and their development as a relateable, believable individual can fall by the wayside. Case in point, the undefined, mutable "personalities" of the early Legion.

Or the threeboot ones, for that matter. After the first twelve issues I realized that the changed costumes only served to reinforce that these characters, despite their names, were nothing like the original Legionnaires in personality.

So yeah, if the writers can't be bothered to get the characterization right, then I can't get all het up about the artist messing up the costumes.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
agreed.

with consistent art and clearly identifiable faces/characteristics, static costumes are irrelevant. A brown-haired guy with slightly messed up or slongish hair, with stubble, will be clearly identifable as Jo most of the time; if not, a visible green T-shaped dragon emblem somewhere (even a tatoo or bandanna) would be enough of a clue. At this point, we need only a suggestion of identification in costuming, and costumes can be almost as diverse as clothing is in real life.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The costumes between the LS and Action has me thinking if they are even the same Legion.

I support new costumes but I do think DC should be smarter about this. I don't like that every artist that comes in makes their own costumes, etc.

DC should get a number of artists to design several costumes for each member and then pick from there. That way we get a definite costume for each member and it doesn't change for each story line or artist change.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
In reference to Action #859 - I loved it. Absorbancy Boy is back as a truly formidable villain, along with a bunch of 'rejects'. I love Earth Man's side burns and Fascist Nazi outfit. Radiation Roy is spooky as well.

BTW, couldn't the 'alien' Element Lad just create a Kryptonite ring (assuming he's still around)? Such an item 'found' by Cosmic Boy and friends could easily be dismissed as a forged article by any humans, I would think.

The Lightning Saga and this current story in Action is the Legion I prefer. You go, Geoff Johns.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.