Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 31)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
i find the art to be mostly awesome. i agree with the bug-eye criticisms, but other than that... the storytelling is great, the anatomy is excellent and realistic. i hate some of the costumes, but i love Spider Girl's!!! even with the grey (???) hair. did they want her to not look like a Medusa clone?
it's interesting that the Lightning saga legionnaires all had Cockrum retro costumes but here in the sequel, editorial had Gary Frank give everyone new uniforms. maybe Waid got bitchy that everyone was pining for the "old" legion over his re-imagining.
i'm enjoying the story very much. Johns has really done his homework.
who'da thunk we'd ever see Absorbancy Boy again? i'd love to see some Infectious Lass action.
what does ANY of this have to do with what the Lightning Saga Legion was up to?
hopefully there will be a satisfying ending rather than yet more unresolved questions.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
no not Infectious Lass as baddie! She is quite a cool character to be seen again, most preferably with Team 13!!!! I want to see her and Team 13 sometime soon! ah....loved that book! Got a new softcover book solely on Team 13 adventure.

sorry for being off from the point.

Back to the point: yeah I was surprised to see Ab Boy as Space Man - I recognized the name and I asked Absorbancy Boy!?!?! Did not say "Space Man" ehe.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I had a whole long post that got lost ( [AHHHH!!!!] ) so I'm just going to give the basics -

* liking the art.

* loving the story.

* making love to the costumes. [Wink] Seriously, I can't believe some people are criticising them. With the exception of too skinny Wildfire, Shrinking Violet and the colour of Invisible Kid's pants I can't find a thing wrong with any of them. Colossal Boy, Lightning Lad, Dawnstar and Blok look especially good and Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy aren't far behind. And God but don't the Kitson designs look even more boring in comparison to these ones.

Anyway, the story isn't perfect so far - it's been two issues of set-up IMO - but even if it were a 5 ou of 10 story that would still make it 100% more enjoyable than anything in that "other" Legion book every month.

Bring on the Final Crisis so that the Waid/Kitson debacle can take it's long overdue dirt nap and we can have a Legion that actually reads like the Legion again!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
it's interesting that the Lightning saga legionnaires all had Cockrum retro costumes but here in the sequel, editorial had Gary Frank give everyone new uniforms.

I thought there was an article a month or two with
Gary Frank where he said he asked if he could create new uniforms for everyone.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't around to see what others wrote at the time, but I was one of those people who never got to truly enjoy the Lightning Saga because I was too busy racking my brain trying to figure where it all went in continuity.

I've managed to accept I'll forever be clueless even when they tell me which point in time it is and have moved on to give it a proper shot.

I didn't expect to like this Action Comics arc but I'm eating it up so far. The use of the Legion rejects is brilliant.

I'm okay with the redesigns too, although from an editorial standpoint I see how it's a silly thing to do right after reintroducing or introducing these Legionnaires to audiences. I only know a few non-Legion readers but they've told me they're finding the redesigns to be sudden and even though it may be obvious with Dawny or Drake, they're still clarifying with me if that's so-and-so or so-and-so. They don't know how we can remember all this!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Subs and other Legionnaires will factor in, and this is coming from someone who a few weeks ago was looking at solicits and wished they'd leave everything well enough alone.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

* making love to the costumes. [Wink] Seriously, I can't believe some people are criticising them. With the exception of too skinny Wildfire, Shrinking Violet and the colour of Invisible Kid's pants I can't find a thing wrong with any of them. Colossal Boy, Lightning Lad, Dawnstar and Blok look especially good and Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy aren't far behind.

For the most part, they are really just unnecessary redesigns. I think it would have been more practical to retain the costumes they used in the Lightning Saga. I do, however, understand an artist wanting to design new costumes.

I think he would have done better to tweak them, but he went to far with most -- especially the effeminate costumes he gave Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Invisible Kid.

They aren't all bad, but the ones that are overshadow the good ones. Many of these are just mediocre (Colossal Boy, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy) - again if you can't improve a design, then let it be. Change for changes sake never impressed me.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Downunder Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Downunder Lad   Email Downunder Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Future:
I was one of those people who never got to truly enjoy the Lightning Saga because I was too busy racking my brain trying to figure where it all went in continuity.

I've managed to accept I'll forever be clueless even when they tell me which point in time it is and have moved on to give it a proper shot.

That bugged me - but then at the end of the Lightning Saga, Dawny referred to Superman as "Kal-L," not "Kal-el." My personal theory is that *this* Legion is from Earth-2's future, and that when they travelled back, they also travelled sideways. Oh well - waiting to be proved wrong, but loving every minute of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Future:
I only know a few non-Legion readers but they've told me they're finding the redesigns to be sudden and even though it may be obvious with Dawny or Drake, they're still clarifying with me if that's so-and-so or so-and-so. They don't know how we can remember all this!

That would be thirty years of reading these characters [Big Grin] .

On the costume subject, I quite like the new ones. For me, it was an indication that in the 31st century time has moved on from the Lightning Saga, maybe several years.

From: Botany Bay | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

* making love to the costumes. [Wink] Seriously, I can't believe some people are criticising them. With the exception of too skinny Wildfire, Shrinking Violet and the colour of Invisible Kid's pants I can't find a thing wrong with any of them. Colossal Boy, Lightning Lad, Dawnstar and Blok look especially good and Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy aren't far behind.

For the most part, they are really just unnecessary redesigns. I think it would have been more practical to retain the costumes they used in the Lightning Saga. I do, however, understand an artist wanting to design new costumes.

I think he would have done better to tweak them, but he went to far with most -- especially the effeminate costumes he gave Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Invisible Kid.

They aren't all bad, but the ones that are overshadow the good ones. Many of these are just mediocre (Colossal Boy, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy) - again if you can't improve a design, then let it be. Change for changes sake never impressed me.

I guess it's 'to each his own' on this one.

Personally, I feel like the Cockrum/Grell costumes belong to a certain time and a place.

And since it's a new decade and a new team (I don't consider this story to be the further adventures of the pre-Crisis Legion - but they're enough like them that I can still get into them) I totally support all new costumes to give this version more of their own identity. Similar, but fresher.

I see nothing effeminate about any of them by the way. Is sleeveless code for effeminacy these days? I'm gonna have to be more careful about what I wear out from now on. [Wink]

And I'll respectfully disagree that any of them are mediocre (except Wildfire - which funnily enough seems to be the only one that those not into these redesigns actually like).

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
If sleeveless is now code for effeminacy, than someone better warn Larry the Cable Guy.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought Larry the Cable Guy was a bit light in the loafers.

Anyways, I don't mind the sleeveless look that much. On Ultra Boy though I don't care for it. Lightning Lad looks cool and does Jacques.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
While I don't particularly like the redesigns (Wildfire looks half-naked to me), I think they were necessary for the theme of the story since it's about the fact that Superman's childhood friends have grown up and changed.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really liking this version of the Legion. Gary Frank is the master of costume design as far as I'm concerned. And I really dig the costumes on the founders, Ultra Boy, Colossal Boy and Dawnstar (although I wonder when she got the boob-job -sheesh!)I've got to say I didn't care much for Phantom Girl, Violet and Invisible Kid's costumes but my criticisms about them would be minor. And I'm finding the story really intriguing. It's parallels to current issues of looming Fascism, xenophobia and rah rah "patriotism" (worldwide) seem well-handled. I really hope Universo isn't the ultimate culprit. That just makes things too convent and simplistic to say "Oh, everybody was hypnotized" These themes/issues are messy with no easy answers and they need to be explored.

So I'm guessing this version of the Legion is a continuation of the one previous to the 5 year leap. I'd have to go back and re-read some of those issues to be sure. At least as far as the roster goes as we currently know it. Bloc is alive Dawnstar is still around etc.. So basically, Vendando Bay (?) never happened.

And I would also venture to guess that this may not be the same Legion as the one depicted in the Lightning saga, although I only read a couple of those issues. Mostly because of the appearance of Karate Kid who was killed well before the end of the "original" run.

Any guesses as to who the other Legionnaire in the internment camp will be? I'm going to guess Timber Wolf beacause he was mentioned maybe Chameleon Boy because he could be undercover or Element Lad - since there's no one on Trom to go to war.
Well, anyway, I absolutely can't wait for the next issue! Long Live the Legion!

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Uranus Lad, I do think Cham will show up soon in disguise.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamz
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hamz   Author's Homepage   Email Hamz         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been a huge fan of the Legion for some 36 years and I have to say that I am really loving this story. This feels like the Legion to me. I love the art, the writing and the new uniforms. I can't wait for the next issue to come out. I'm also very excited to see which Legionnaires will appear next and see how Gary has designed them.
From: NW Indiana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamz
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hamz   Author's Homepage   Email Hamz         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Uranus Lad:
Any guesses as to who the other Legionnaire in the internment camp will be? I'm going to guess Timber Wolf beacause he was mentioned maybe Chameleon Boy because he could be undercover or Element Lad - since there's no one on Trom to go to war.

My guess is that it will be Polar Boy or Cham in disguise.
From: NW Indiana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.