Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Earthwar Saga- a significant turning point for the legion? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Earthwar Saga- a significant turning point for the legion?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One thing you should keep in mind when reading the Shooter stuff that he's only 13.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
One thing you should keep in mind when reading the Shooter stuff that he's only 13.

Oh trust me I do. [Smile] Which also makes it cool. I guess we can't cut Levitz slack at 21 when Shooter started at 13. lol.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskian78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskian78   Email imskian78         Edit/Delete Post     
My second issue. I was 11...wow! My first was number 248 bought in a Whitman sampler 3 pack.lol. I'm with a few of you all I was blown away with all the members and couldnt tell who was who but that is why I was so excited. Next year will be my 30 year anniversary reading Legion of Super Heroes...what a ride!
About Earthwar....Loved Sherman art, Element lad with long hair, Weber's World/Ontir, the Lost in space test tubes every one was held in, the story and it's multi parts.
Disliked..rushed, sloppy art and color on last few issues, not enough screen time for Shrinking Violet. All in all better than the current crap...even for a ten year old! Long live the Legion!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I discovered I no longer have these issues when I saw HWW's thread and decided to reread the story before reading HWW's review!

*How'd* that happen?!!

Guess I'll have to bug my LCS next week...

I knew I had some holes before Levitz's second stint, but I thought they were later!

Part of me wants to wait on Archives... but at the rate DC's putting *those* out these days, I'll in a retirement home by the time they get to the Reflecto saga.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad that my reviews have made you want to re-read the old stories, Mystery Lad, but this isn't my thread. Rickshaw1 beat me to it. [Wink]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Charlemagne
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the name of Weber's World comes from the German sociologist Max Weber, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Weber
who wrote extensively on the sociology of religion and government, and pioneered the study of bureaucracy and the use of that word. Hence, it would be appropriate to name an artificial planetoid devoted to government functions after him.

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I was thinking it was Max Weber as well, but couldn't remember why it would be him, but that makes a lot of sense.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I also have very fond memories of Earthwar - though I did not read it when it first came out in Germany, it was one of my favorites when I hunted down all of the German Legion appearances in the sooner 90s. They dedicated a whole small format paperback to Earthwar back in the 80s which I found later on and loved to read.

I really consider this the first "modern style" Legion story. It has the first longer story arc I can remember, though it was kind of incoherent because the villains kept on changing til Mordru came out as the Mastermind. But it still is a big story which I would recommend as a starting point for every new fan unfamiliar with the great old continuity...

I absolutely adored Shermans art (every of his too few issues) and also think that it is a shame that he did not do the whole arc. A real pity. I consider Sherman one of the best legion artists ever right up there with the young (and the 5YL) Giffen, Lightle and Pat Broderick. Better than Coipiel and Kitson.

So yes, I think Earthwar was a major turning point which lead into what later became the Great Darkness, LSV War, Universo Project and Conspiracy. If they really bring back the Cockrum legion for good, this might be a crucial reprint option...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyrociscool
bookmaster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tyrociscool   Email tyrociscool         Edit/Delete Post     
I think my favorite Earthwar memory is the introduction of Ontiir. I have always liked that it took 5 years to prove he was a plant.
From: NC | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by tyrociscool:
Ontiir... it took 5 years to prove he was a plant.

Yeah, but whose? Good memories you bring up. Ontiir was as good a disposible character as Legion has had.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insaniac5
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insaniac5   Email Insaniac5         Edit/Delete Post     
The first Legion comic I ever bought was the conclusion of Earthwar. Of course I went back and got the back issues soon thereafter.
Earthwar was awesome. Political intrigue, mystery, the entire Legion (except Tyroc!) took part, multiple villains for the Legion to fight. It was like three wars in one. And of course the fact that Mordru was behind it all was great, and the way Saturn Girl, Brainy, and E-Lad teamed up to defeat him was awesome.
To answer the OP, I think it was a turning point just because of the scope of the war, and the fact that earth put up that poly shield afterwards. Perhaps it was the beginning of a darker Levitz Legion, too.

From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.