Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Ultra Boy's ability to fly... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ultra Boy's ability to fly...
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Geez, guys lets keep this on topic! Ok back to Ultra Boy and Green Lanterns! [Smile]

-

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's Mean Jo Green! [Cool]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, if the UP has banned the GLC, there could still be a Khund or Dominator GL or something, which could be even *more* interesting...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Oh, and on-topic...

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an instance of UB flying pre-ZH.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
It's kinda funny, the flight rings working like GL rings. Almost fitting...speaking of which, why haven't there ever been that many GL's in the 30th century? Rond Vidar is the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

Xenofobe, the Green Lantern of sector 2814 in the 30th century fought the Time Trapper!

And a Durlan GL offered help during the battle with Computo in LSH Annual #1. Not to mention Vidar/Universo's story in #295.

[ June 25, 2007, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Are there any instances of (pre-ZH) Ultra Boy actually flying without a flight ring?

The reason I'm curious is that descriptions of his powers seem to be inconsistent in whether they list flight as one of his abilities.

He had no flight ring in S&LSH #239

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... interestingly enough, it was about the same time that flight started being listed as one of his powers.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
S&LSH #239

That was before the Reflecto nonsense wasn't it? Cause we could always blame the flying on the Reflecto nonsense. [Smile]

Heck, v4 Annual #1 was so impressive I'm suprised T&M didn't explain it somewhere in there.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You may be onto something, Eryk. I just checked the "Lore of the Legion" feature in SUPERBOY # 202, which lists Jo's powers as "ultra-strength, ultra-speed, ultra-vision, and invulnerability," but there is no mention of flight.

Of course, this brief description should not be construed as comprehensive. It does not specify, for example, that "ultra-vision" includes penetra-vision, which can see through lead.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
S&LSH #239

That was before the Reflecto nonsense wasn't it?

Yes, the Reflecto story line ran from # 277-280.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

The Origins and Powers of the Legionnaires feature from ALL NEW COLLECTORS' EDITION C-55 (1978) lists "flying" as one of the uses of his powers. As far as I can tell, that's the first time he's blatantly identified as having the ability.

AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #9 (NOV/DEC, 1975)
lists him as having "powers similar to Superboy".

As far as I can tell, there's no mention of flying prior to that.

These can be found in the Encyclopedia Galactica section of this website, of course.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Cary Bates' text feature for LSH (v. 1) # 1 merely says that Jo has ultra powers. (Incidently, Bates also gives Jo's home planet as "Nimbor.")

During the earliest Legion stories I read, I thought that Ultra Boy's powers were unclear, but they must have been important, since ULTRA was always capitalized.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

"Nimbor" is of course an alternate name for "Rimbor", kind of like Amarta/Winath or Colu/Yod. [Wink]
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Only the Northerners call it Nimbor.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

"Nimbor" is Cary Bates demonstating lack of careful research. In the same article, he lists a Legionnaire named "Princess Projectora" and implies that Element Lad got his powers as the result of an "atomic attack" on Trom.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.