Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Who/What do you want the Time Trapper to be? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Who/What do you want the Time Trapper to be?
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This thread got me to thinking about the Time Trapper's changing importance as a Legion villain over the years. In "The Legion Sourcebook" reference work in Amazing World of DC Comics # 9, in 1975, he is accorded only three paragraphs and no drawing. Of course his latest encounter with the Legion was in Adventure # 338, a full decade earlier. Clearly, he wasn't that significant a villain, even though his identity was still a mystery.

In the years afterwards, Legion writers explored and exceeded the Trapper's potential. He became a convenient villain, one who was easily relied upon for anniversary issues (v.3, # 45) and mini-series (Legionnaires 3) I think all of this attention and his nebulous origins have watered down the character. He's become too easy to use since his powers and motivations are ill-defined, as proven by the revelation that he's Rokk Krinn!

For this reason, I would rather see his mystery solved one way or another. This would not ruin his potential for further use as a villain, but it might curtail writers' willingness to do anything they want with him.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novelty
Stalked by Exnihil

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Novelty   Author's Homepage   Email Novelty         Edit/Delete Post     
Jorg, I don't mean to make the TT as a spirit of Vengence... but to share characteristics - strengths, weaknesses, powers, etc. with the Spectre. That would immediately make the TT more defined since quite a bit is known about the Spectre, but it would also mean a link to the current 20th Century universe...

--------------------
Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Geez, some good points. I have to say I'm now more in Kent's camp. Drop some hints at who the TT is, but not actual 'reveal,' leave it as something for the reader individually to decide if he's so-and-so or such-and-such, or maybe hint that he is a former Legionnaire, but never show which...

I agree that making him too vague makes it too easy for writers to use him poorly and to water him down. but I also like the idea of not knowing who he really is, I want him to be a clearly defined character but where you are kept guessing about his true identity.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Novelty, I understand. Both characters are personifications of an unrelated force that need a host.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer07
Interstellar Man of Mystery.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucifer07   Email Lucifer07         Edit/Delete Post     
I know i'm in the minority here but I'd really like TT to be the Legions' version of Kang. I'm not saying he needs to be a decendant of a Legionnnaire or even Dyanmo boy, but It would be nice if all 52 new Earths or mulitverses ended at one point an "all roads end here" kinda thing with the Trapper being the master of that domain.

With that done I would agree with Ducks' rule tho, that TT should be vauge and his origins only hinted at. Could he be Dynamo boy from the Pre Crisis? Why does he only attack the Legion? What was up with playing Chess with the Pre crisis Brainiac, Does he also play solitary with Vandal Savage?

We could speculate on who he really is and various writers could add to the mythos. Or As I've said before The Legion could go the way of Avengers Forever and define what the Trapper intentions were over the years. how the crisies affected him, drop the hints at who he could be, and lay the ground work for future plots with him.

Ah to dream.

--------------------
I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)

From: Webers World | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lucifer07:
I know i'm in the minority here but I'd really like TT to be the Legions' version of Kang. I'm not saying he needs to be a decendant of a Legionnnaire or even Dyanmo boy, but It would be nice if all 52 new Earths or mulitverses ended at one point an "all roads end here" kinda thing with the Trapper being the master of that domain.

Are you using the comparison to Kang to include the Council of Crosstime Kangs, or not? Because what I was seeing as an origin is that each timeline has its own being seeking to rule time, and they're all fighting it out for who will rule the last timeline that exists before entropy takes its toll. Because whoever is present at the end of the multiverse would take a role in the next cycle of existence. Sort of like Galan of Taa having the willpower to endure through the Big Crunch of the previous universe, to come out of the Big Bang as Galactus... if that makes any sense?
Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
No multiple Trappers. I like the idea of 52 multiverses and just one Trapper. [Smile]

He toys with the 52 different Legions. It would be neat to see a mini where a team of Legionnaires from different timelines...all the ones we know and a few more go up against the Trapper. Like Avengers Forever.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer07
Interstellar Man of Mystery.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucifer07   Email Lucifer07         Edit/Delete Post     
No council Seth, just a mini that ties all the Trapper stories together. From the Controller Trapper to the Rokk as Trapper story line. It should define the Trapper, making him THE Legion Villain.

I agree with Jorge that the mini should use Legionnaires from the various Earths with maybe the Infinite Man or The Last Monitor Gathering them together.

--------------------
I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)

From: Webers World | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
For some reason I just had this vision of the trapper as a multiple-entity representation of Legion fandom, each trying to "trap" the Legion in his/her favorite era and destroy the others.

Still meta, but slightly less so, I like the idea of 1 trapper/multiple trappers testing/eliminating versions of the Legion for some ultimate, secret purpose.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
For some reason I just had this vision of the trapper as a multiple-entity representation of Legion fandom, each trying to "trap" the Legion in his/her favorite era and destroy the others.

Still meta, but slightly less so, I like the idea of 1 trapper/multiple trappers testing/eliminating versions of the Legion for some ultimate, secret purpose.

You may have something there. The Trapper created the legion anyways. Maybe he wins...and after destroying them he tries to bring them back. maybe the multiverse are all attempts by the trapper to recreate the Legion.

I do like the idea of just one Trapper in the multiverse. That would be a rocking mini!

SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
No multiple Trappers. I like the idea of 52 multiverses and just one Trapper. [Smile]

Yeah, that's what I like too. He can have as many different origins in different universes as writers want, but the final entity should be aware of all of them.

Just about the only thing I liked from the Trapper's reboot appearance was the fact that he knew about his origins in previous timelines, and didn't particularly seem to value one over the others.

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.