Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Matter-Eater Lad, Bouncing Boy, Chemical King, and Ferro Lad! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Matter-Eater Lad, Bouncing Boy, Chemical King, and Ferro Lad!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I can see how Matter-Eater Lad is totally lacking in any appeal. Why would anybody possibly want to read about a guy who hides his disfunctional family from his friends because he's embarrassed by them? Or a guy who takes out the beautiful girl and stands up to her jerk boyfriend at the end of the night only to have her go back to the jerk in the end? I can't imagine anyone possibly relating to that guy.

And what dumb powers. You know, when I think of wussy animals, I think of things like lions, crocodiles, and sharks. Because, after all, what are they going to do, bite you? What a goofy combat strategy that is! Oh, maybe he's a little less wussy than a lion or shark, because he can actually eat anything, plus the whole super-speed aspect, but still...

And I can definitely see why bringing Blok back would be a much better idea. After all, nothing says "kewl" like a big, dumb, lumbering, rock who talks to other rocks! The mass appeal of that character is just so obvious! Oh, and notice how his name is just like "block", only without a "c"? That's just so hip!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
EDE, I don't trust you know what hip is. But it's ok cause Waid doesn't either.

This book is finally getting better throwing guys like BB and MEL in there will not help.

Quislet is more entertaining personally on the joke side...and much cooler powers. They can get any member to play the shy teenage geek for guys like you to relate with.

And I would gladly sacrficie my 80's lessr known characters as long as BB and MEL do not show up.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Also if MEL had large canines and would rip the throat out of opponents...I may like him.

New Mutants had a character called Doug Ramsey. He had a useless power...but it wasn't inflating like a beach ball. it worked.

In this series so far Waid has given us a ton of Bouncing Boy's. How many of the extended Legion fans have we seen with useless powers but use courage to make a difference.

I can accept Chuck Taine or Tenzil Kim...as characters but with a tweak to the silly powers. For instance I enjoyed Chuck as the mechanic in the last version of the Legion.

But I guess tweaking their powers to translate better to this generation is a sin or something.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't care about power tweaks, I just hope when (not if, if the cartoon gets popular) Chuck and Tenzil come back, they aren't purple or polka-dotted or sentient mildew.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't want to go on at length about this, because I've got a Legion Abstract post planned on this and related subjects, but...

I actually do want Bouncing Boy and Chemical King and Matter-Eater Lad and Ferro Lad back in the Legion.

Because I want everybody.

Somehow.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I agree in essence about wanting everyone back. It seems to me it would've made a lot of sense with Waid starting the story in media res to have somehow acknowledged that all these other characters already exist, even if the series is not going to be focusing on them. Then the series could move on, and not have to spend the next decade waiting for everyone to be re-introduced.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

THAT would have been ideal. I want everyone back too, even my personal non-faves like Tellus, because every fan should be able to see their favorites even if they appear infrequently (as would likely have to happen if everyone DID come back).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Also if MEL had large canines and would rip the throat out of opponents...I may like him.

Legionnaires don't kill.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
EDE, I don't trust you know what hip is.

Please enlighten him, and me, and all other fans of these characters who must be in severe need of re-hip-ucation.

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Most of the "hippest," now, whatever characters are from the Golden and Silver Ages originally. Most of their powers have not been changed to appease one fan, nor should they have been.

Luckily, the cartoon producers are intelligent enough to see the value of Bouncing Boy and Matter-Eater Lad (at least) without a need to "translate their powers to this generation."

[ December 07, 2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually Matthew and everyone, I'm with you. I want everyone back to. That would be ideal.

(Except Monstress, her I want dead [Big Grin] )

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yep, bring 'em all back. (Even Monstress - they can kill her off again.) But bring them back as the good guys - that LSV is getting entirely too crowded!

Chemical King was the least utilized of these four - no revivals after his death. So he is certainly due some panel time, IMO. However, I would really like to see what Mark Waid could do with MEL and BB - and what costumes/looks Barry would give them.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Luckily, the cartoon producers are intelligent enough to see the value of Bouncing Boy and Matter-Eater Lad (at least) without a need to "translate their powers to this generation."

Well it is geared toward children. It is intelligent if it's for that age group. And a comic geared toward children would be great as well.

Sadly there intelligence didn't cover Brainiac 5 who is now a transformer.

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I don't care about power tweaks, I just hope when (not if, if the cartoon gets popular) Chuck and Tenzil come back, they aren't purple or polka-dotted or sentient mildew.

But if they were sentient mildew, you know who else would be showing up, Lash?
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I'm not opposed to having non-classic characters show up, but not at the expense of these already under-utilized classic Legionnaires!

You're equating the terms 'classic' and 'Silver Age'. What makes Chemical King more 'classic' than Kid Quantum? He may be an older character than she is, but I don't think he's a better character.

My idea is that all eras of the Legion count equally. And therefore the Silver Age is quite overrepresented. I don't object to any of the four characters in the thread title showing up, but if I was looking to add characters to the cast of the book I would definitely not be looking at them first.

Matthew E is the sage of this thread. Silver does NOT equal Classic. I do not begrudge others supporting the characters they want to see, but let's bring in the more worthwhile later characters too.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.