Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion relaunch? [link inside] (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion relaunch? [link inside]
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Ultra Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk,

I like your idea in concept... with some work it might work. Now how to bring people to read a "Legion Secrets"? It may be a pipe dream, but 1 name..

ALEX ROSS

He has expressed interest in painting the Legion at some point and what a perfect series for that to happen on. Alot of people would buy it in whatever format and hopefully many would stick on after the fact.

Think about it. Any other sure buy artists? (uuhheemmm, Jim Lee)

LLL!

--------------------
UltraBoy

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Anything Michael Turner draws is a gold mine.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
So its more or less a sure thing that Waid will be the next regular legion writer?
Cool! I'm very excited about this! Waid's current Fantastic Four run has been absolutely awesome. The Legion could hardly find a better writer.

Plus my favorite Legion tale ever is the issue he claims to be the most influential to his career.
In a recent Wizzard issue, Waid said that the plot structure Adventure #369 (Mordru the Merciless) has inspired him as a writer. And he has tried to emulate "the Oh sh**!" ending to that issue in his own work.
The fact that he is a big Legion fan and obviously had good taste has got to count for something.

I don't think that there's any chance Waid will do any sort of reboot. I agree with SOM that relaunch surely means a new #1, though I hope that isn't the case. Cancelling a title only to come out with another 'first issue' whenever sales dip is a disturbing trend these days.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Anything Michael Turner draws is a gold mine.

Agreed! His current Superman/Batman arc is amazing!

Jim Lee has expressed a strong desire to do the Legion for some time, there's been hints in every interview he does that he might try to tackle the Legion next after Superman. I think this is GREAT news, and hope that one day Lee can do a run (even if only twelve issues). Imagine the Legion in the top ten!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by capt._dallas:
This is a very creative and well-thought out idea, Eryk. Now seriously... imagine having a meeting with Stephen Wacker, Paul Levitz, Jeannette Kahn, etc. and you present them this idea. Explain to THEM how your idea will NOT drive away (1) existing fans of "The Legion" (2) new fans that aren't versed in Legion lore and don't want to spend the money or time reading a "Secrets of the Legion" series to be convinced it's a concept they want to keep reading. How does your idea attract new readers?

This is all predicated on the notion that some sort of relaunch or change in direction is needed for the title. There is no guarantee that any shift in the direction of the series will maintain the current readership. The advantage of a Crisis-style collapsing of the Legion timelines into a single universe is that it allows something much more like the "classic" Legion to return without completely losing the good stuff that's happened since 1994. Part of the hope is that this would bring back fans who were alienated by the reboot, plus attract some of the numerous top creators who have said they'd like to work on the Legion, but only on the "old" Legion. Top creators = better sales.

As far as expecting people to buy a "Secrets" mini; well, that's really just for people who are interested in what the exact history of these characters are. It's certainly much easier than the situation of the current new fan, who would have to pick up all of the reboot back issues to know the history of the current Legion. They wouldn't necessarily need the mini to understand the new series, but it would be there for those who were interested in the backstory of the new version of the Legion.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say a Secrets mini would have to be a good seller. The first two issues (was a 3rd ever released?) of JLA-Z sold over 83,000 copies total for both. And we all know what crap it was. A mini with actual useful info would be great.

And I second Eryk's idea of bringing Condo back as a villain. If I can't have him in place of KQII (I hate even typing her name) then bring him on as a badass that hands her her's. Written correctly Condo could be on level (almost) with the Progeniter.

[ May 03, 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Whatever happens, I doubt greatly that it'll be anything resembling a reboot or deboot or unboot or whatever.

And I know I'd be pretty sad if it was - remember, some of us know the preboot Legion only in back issues and such. I totally appreciate the regard many here have for the preboot Legion, but I'd be quite disillusioned if there was an arbitrary change to bring back preboot elements without a ripping good story behind it.

(Of course, if the ripper presented itself, I'd be cheering with the rest of you. So long as the story's good, I'm happy. And that's why whatever Waid comes up with will probably get my thumbs up.)

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.