Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LEGION #26 thoughts! (SPOILERS) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: LEGION #26 thoughts! (SPOILERS)
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by STU:
Some initial thoughts:

From whom did Superboy get that T-shirt? Mano?

It looked to me like Val's horrid fan designed costumer from Adventure #403. In fact, I was so convinced at first from the shirt that this was a Val/Andy scene that I had to do a double take a couple panels in and start over once I realized it was Kon.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I agree with most of what's been said. Especially KP & LL's take on things.

Batista & Wallace are looking good. (Chip wanna join our little MB?)

-

THis image is a good example of my issues with Batista's art. I mean, in most places it is fantastic. He draws about the most perfect Ayla since James Sherman. However, at least once on every page there will be something I find jarring. I this page the foreshortening on Superboy bugs me, and the proportions on Vi are all wrong, her head is way too big for her body. It makes her look abount nine years old.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Random thoughts:
-- If it's five weeks later, *why* would "Jarth" still wear Element Lad's uniform?? Having his appearance would be disturbing enough, but there's no reason for him to wear the suit other than to tell readers "he's in Jan's body".

Your probably right as to the real why, but I wonder if we could rationalize it by saying the the costume is not so much cloth but actually a part of his crystaline form? Perhpas Garth has not not yet figured out how to use Jan's powers?

quote:
-- I also agree that it was odd to not show the team's reaction to "Jarth".

Very, very odd. However, do we know that the team knows about Jarth yet? Imra and Cs could have brough him back in secret and hidden him on the Winath part of Legion World.
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by STU:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
But Kon had one proudly displayed to remind us he can't breathe in space.

Which is odd, because -- upon rereading it -- I realized that he was still wearing the transsuit when the "S" emblem from his shirt was ripped off by the dark servant. Wouldn't that have torn the transsuit too?
Transuits were orignally developed as a graphic narrative conceit, a way to draw characters in space without having to put them in a space suit. I seem to recall that they were given, if not at first then as a later addition, the ability to reseal themselves when breached. This allowed Legionnaires to use their powers in space, but alos applies to the situation you mention.
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
quote:
Random thoughts:
-- If it's five weeks later, *why* would "Jarth" still wear Element Lad's uniform?? Having his appearance would be disturbing enough, but there's no reason for him to wear the suit other than to tell readers "he's in Jan's body".

Your probably right as to the real why, but I wonder if we could rationalize it by saying the the costume is not so much cloth but actually a part of his crystaline form? Perhpas Garth has not not yet figured out how to use Jan's powers?
He could still wear either his own costume or a non-EL suit over it. Then again, so could Ferro...

quote:
quote:
-- I also agree that it was odd to not show the team's reaction to "Jarth".

Very, very odd. However, do we know that the team knows about Jarth yet? Imra and Cs could have brough him back in secret and hidden him on the Winath part of Legion World.
Well, the barest minimum would be for one of the Kwai guides to know - and surely:
1) Ayla would have visited the Winathian area in a five-week spell
and 2) "Oh, the Legion still act polite when they see me, but its hard for them."

And it was only on that two-page spread that I figured out that the "Five Weeks Later" was meant to signify a present-->future jump rather than a "the Statueseid scene took place four-five weeks before the end of last issue." Not clear, really.

[ November 13, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Sanity or Madness? ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
[and 2) "Oh, the Legion still act polite when they see me, but its hard for them."

Oh well, that's what I get for producing grand theories at work without the issue in front of me to refer to. I simply forgot that line.

[Embarrassed]

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
More reactions:

I forgot to mention that DnA have adressed a lot of my concerns about some of their writing here. The plot has advanced nicely and dramatically, we got several nice character moments from various cast members instead of just a few, there are various assignments being taken care of by different members and there were even a few surprises and a few mysteries -- I hope DnA keep up this kind of more balanced storytelling. It's something a book like "The Legion" sorely needs.

Re: Batista -- I like his art a lot, but he still has a tendency to draw asymetrical jawlines -- it's the one thing about his art that just *bugs* me.

[ November 13, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i loved this issue !!!

it's my favourite from the last couple of months !!!

and as others have said the artwork looked amazing !!!

Chirs Batista's pencils looked his most detailed so far !!!

Chip Wallace's inking was really tight and sharp !!!

and Sno Cone's colours were really bright and vibrant !!!

all in all a stella issue !!!

i enjoyed the mixture of storylines going on in this issue, but i would agree with everyone on the continuing unresolved plotlines ....

i thought the "JLA" servants were great and i wanna know more about this Spirit of the Last Son idea !!!

and i even loved the final page of Kon-El as ..... Superboy !!!

i thought that was such a great image/pin up by Chris !!!

Matthew.

[ November 13, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: the boy with UltraPowers ]

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I this page the foreshortening on Superboy bugs me, and the proportions on Vi are all wrong, her head is way too big for her body. It makes her look abount nine years old.

Maybe she shrank her body while keeping her head the same size. Or expanded her head while keeping her body the same. [Big Grin]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
and Sno Cone's colours were really bright and vibrant !!!

Mr. (or is that Ms.?) Cone's coloring has really grown in leaps and bounds lately.
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Batista's work is a great improvement over the fill-ins we had after Coipel's departure. A couple things about him bother me, though.

first - lips. It seems like too many characters have pursed lips like they're whistling something all of the time. Check out Cos on the secons "stargate" page or Kon on the following page for just a couple of examples. Also, many of the faces seem to be smirking at odd times. I noticed it quite a bit in Dream Crimes, but it seems to have improved.

second - perspective. Maybe it's just me, since I've never seen anyone else mention this. But group shots seem a bit awkward and flat with everyone appearing to be different sizes. The Universo-controlled Legion in Dream Crime part 4 comes to mind right away. I even had to do a double take this issue on the page where Kid Quantum's drinks fo the time-blip thing. It looked like a giant Jasmine towering over a miniature Cosmic Boy sitting at the table. But, again, maybe it's just me.

His Servants of Darkness designs are pretty awesome, though. I can't wait to see more of them.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it a lot, with only a few reservations.

The Best Things:

-- The double splash page of Darkseid and his superhero-mockeries. Darkseid looks like he's carved out of ancient rock, barely conscious but more monstrous than ever. Who's that black creature with the tail and the mouth in his stomach???

-- Cosmic Boy vs. Superboy. As irritating as he is, Superboy's wise-ass jerk routine played well against anal-retentive "Cee Bee". He's deliberately goading Rokk, and Rokk's temper is showing. That's a GOOD thing. At least its a sign of life in this long-dormant character.

-- Dark Kal-El. LOVED his reaction to Clone Boy's emblem, and Batista's vision of him.

-- Time anomalies. Deftly done, with Jazmin as logical first victim and Nura's chilling discovery. No point in planning tomorrow's menu, I guess.

-- Lyle and Brainy. Lyle gets to display his superior practical knowledge and insights into human nature. Brainy has a lot to learn from him.

-- Religious cults. The morally ambiguous "Catastrophist" cult is a great (original?) concept that's already begun to play into Darkseid's hand. That his evil can be fed by human martyrdom is a grotesque twist in light of current events. Plus, history-buff Rokk as a believer in "the Spirit of the Last Son" was surprising but completely in character. Glorious Godfrey coming next?

-- The "Costume". Kon is just begging for trouble. Wait till Rokk gets a load of it. Better yet, wait till Dark Kal-El gets a load of it.

-- So MANY Legionnaires! Great story tempo. Bastista + Wallace.

Ambivalent About:

-- Garth-in-Jan. At first, the idea of a dead man idling away his time watching holovision news struck me as absurd. I'd really hoped for a MUCH more dramatic follow-up (insanity, pyrotechnics, etc.) but, hey, it ain't my story. Seeing him in Jan's body still makes me queasy, but after closer reading I found I *did* appreciate the subtle touches of characterization in this scene, e.g., he and Imra trying but failing to connect. The internal monologue effectively conveyed emotion (equal measures of despair and cynicism) without the aid of facial expressions, and the unanswered question of WHY he's trapped in Jan's body looms even larger now. But all this dark contemplation is painful to read, so the sooner he's forced into action the better.

-- The dialogue. A reviewer at thefourthrail.com derided some of it as "faux-Buffy". Actually, I smiled at quips like "Switch to a power other than Ultra-sarcasm, Jo", but Thom's gushing fanboy act struck a false note and Kon's wisecracks are going to wear thin very soon. Lots of word balloons to count in this issue, though.

What Irked Me:

-- Human Ferro on the cover. The absence of Mekt (5-week gap). The forced idea of Superboy fandom in the 31st century. That's about it.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galadhran
Empire Spy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Galadhran   Author's Homepage   Email Galadhran         Edit/Delete Post     
I figure... I have suspended disbelieve this far about a group of young kids fighting to save the universe some time in the future... I mean look at kids nowadays... they can't even save their breakfast (all due respect to Big Kids on here) [Smile]

So I am gonna stretch it just a little further and not worry about their transuitstamajicky and just enjoy the story... technicalities bore me. Human drama is what I like [Smile] And I like:
1. Sensor's new attitude and muscles
2. The unfolding perverse drama with Garth
3. Jaz and Rokk
4. The impending Time Trapper situation
5. Does Star Boy still have his power?
6. Is that Hawkgirl? I though it was Zauriel... It looks like the League from the time of WW3 which means it is our fallen angel, not Kendra.

What I don't like:
1. Vi and Tinya occupying space and doing nothing
2. Superboy *yawn* Stay in Titans (which by the way is a good read... especially the last few pages!! Woo hoo!
3. everyone has elongated faces. [Smile]

[ November 14, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Galadhran ]

From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the art was pretty good. Being a long time legion fan, and having experienced the "original Darkness Saga" (not to mention numerous re boots), I wonder if this is the beginning of another great multi length tale, or ANOTHER re boot. I don't think this Legion fan can handle another one!...although that's what I said last time. It would be great if, for the 45th anniversary, we returned to the greatness of what the pre boot was...I know, ain't happening! A guy can always hope!

Long Live the Legion!!!

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice consistency with Ferro's interest in fashion! Too bad we didn't get to see any of his romance with Val this issue, though! [love]

I'm liking this arc a lot thus far!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.