Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How do you pronounce...? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce...?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For the record...

Gim = Jim
Thom = Tom
Jan = rhymes with tan
Ayla = eh-la (with the "eh" like Canadians say it!)
Tinya = TIN-ya
Tasmia = TAS-me-a
Luornu = lu-OR-nu
Mysa = MY-za
Cham = sham
Querl = kinda like "squirrel" but with one syllable)
Darkseid = darkside
Winath = WHY-neth
Braal = braille
Bgtzl = BICKT-zel

Hey! Let's raise the stakes! Any pronunciation that gets a clear majority---we have to pronounce it that way every time we say it, aloud or in our heads, from now on! [Wink]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddcam
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddcam   Email toddcam         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, I was talking about the "future" names that the Legionnaires have, and my friend suggested that Gim, as in Gim Allon, might be an odd spelling of "Jim." We had been pronouncing it "Geem," with the "g" being as in "go." What's the general consensus about this? Is it "Gim," "Geem," "Jim" or "Jeem"?
Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always read it as "Jim" as in Gym class.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always pronounced it as "Jim."
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always used the hard 'g' to pronounce it Gim instead of Jim.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so used to Elvish that I generally assume that G and C are always hard.

Of course I still get a chuckle out of pronouncing vicissum as we kiss em.

Cen

--------------------
Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always pronounced it as "Jim", but it probably is a hard "G" now that you've got me thinking about it.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought the 'g' was a hard 'g' as well.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
This is funny!

See, I've always pronounced it the Spanish way: Khim (similar to 'him', as in him or her).

If the correct sound in his name was the hard 'g', in Spanish one would spell his name 'Guim' (the u here is mute); if the correct sound was the soft 'g', in Spanish we'd spell his name Yim.

Not that any of this matters, seeing that the comic book is written in English...

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Another one for the hard G here, although pretty much any of the pronunciations could be right. I'm quite taken by Juan's Spaish pronunciation though.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Always said Gim as in gimboid [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hard g here.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Another hard G

Changing to the shameless hussy. Is it pronounce "I'm a" or "Er ma" (I pronounce it "Erma"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bedlam Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bedlam Lad   Email Bedlam Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
And yet another hard G here too. Don't you just love these fun future names?

--------------------
"And afros for EVERYONE!"

-Gail Simone

From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
It always hit me as a Jim. Never once thought of it as a hard "G".

I'm thinking we could expand this topic too. We did it once on another board, but have yet to see it here (doesn't mean we haven't done, it's just that I haven't seen it).

Other names with suspect pronunciations:

Ayla - Eye Luh
Shvaughn - Sh Von
Bgztl - Bigzittle
Querl - Like Squirrel but without the "S"

Feel free to add any others.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.