Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Make fun of the lame Legion-related stuff (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Make fun of the lame Legion-related stuff
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Wonder Lad:

...As an aside: cleome, you sound like a boy after my own heart.

I'm actually a surly, trouble-making female... but I'll take that in the spirit in which it's intended. [smile]

quote:
rickshaw1:
Who wants to see a woman dressed like Ben Franklin?

Ironic you mention one of history's more infamous womanizers-- who did his, er, best work in an era/culture where manly men really did show more leg than the women they were hitting on. They wore almost as much satin, lace and powder as the womanfolk, too.

(Anyone remember Sam the Eagle on the Muppet Show, being absolutely horrified at the reminder that his precious Founding Fathers went around all day long in stockings, lace cravats and wigs, and nobody minded ? [grin])

quote:
...Clothes that are cut to fit...work.

I'll let you in on a deep, dark secret. I think the main reason I used to crush out on Brainy was because he was the only guy in the Legion who didn't wear tights. It's the same contrarian bug in my brain that makes me crush out on Hollywood types like John Turturro;In a world where the norm is upended, its opposite becomes unique in a way that it wouldn't be in day-to-day life. Night is day. Average is beautiful.

Or some junk.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll grant you that most female super-hero costumes are ridiculous. I'll grant you that most male super-hero costumes are equally ridiculous. But there's ridiculous-in-the-real-world sense and so-ridiculous-it-won't-pass-muster-in-a-comic-book sense. I humbly submit that Grell's CB I and CB II costumes both crossed into the latter territory--a sort of Twilight Zone for super-hero fashions.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
And yet, HWW, they each still had more cloth cover than Red Sonja-- and at least as much as Wonder Woman.

In the immortal (paraphrased) words of Percy Mayfield, "It serve you right to suffer." [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The bit that bugs me is when it's the non-super-tough people who expose all that skin.

Shady and Imra, running around in bikinis, while Superboy and Mon-El are fully covered makes no sense, from a practicality standpoint. If my flesh wasn't bulletproof, and I was in a career where people where *shooting at me,* I wouldn't be marching into combat wearing a scarf and a banana-hammock, which is what Shady seems to think is appropriate clothing to bring to knife-fight...

If Laurel Kent or Dr. Manhattan want to run around in a bikini, good for them, they can't be hurt.

Imra's just a nutcase for wearing a bikini into combat, and no amount of Farrah-hair is going to stop a laser beam.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
For all he amazing things he did for the Legion, Dave Cockrum gave us the meanest, toughest man ever to rock Cindy Brady pigtails and zebra fur (hair?), the second Hunter from S/LSH #199.

[ January 09, 2009, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Arm Fall Off Boy ]

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Cleome, that was kinda my point with Ben, in a twisted way. Look at what he wore, and look how ridiculas it looks on a man. White wigs, short-leggin pants (Side note, i read somewhere that the reason the men wore pants that short was a social more at the time. Seems that if they wanted to show interest to a woman, they showed them their calves. Now, It may have been supposedly a more restrained time[and i call bullpucky on that as well, them oldtimers were dogs and ho's inna way we folk have forgotten] but that's a pretty....lame thing to be showin off when the women wore dresses cut so low they were apoppin' out all the time), funky little triangle hats, lacy shirts with poofy sleeves. Men wore suits back then as well. Not suits like ours, but suits. And i'd take a suit or workmans togs over that peacock crap any day of the week. To me, thats today's equivalent to manscaping and frosted hair on dudes.

Admittedly some guys can pull it off, but no where near as many as think they can.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
And yet, HWW, they each still had more cloth cover than Red Sonja-- and at least as much as Wonder Woman.

Will it make you feel better, cleome, if I allow that those costumes are ridiculous, too?

(Of course, they weren't Legion costumes . . . [Wink] )

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Have you guys seen some of the japanese bathing suits for women lately? Shady's skimpiest is like a terrycloth robe compared to them. Don't tell me women don't wear those types of things, lol.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
For all he amazing things he did for the Legion, Dave Cockrum gave us the meanest, toughest man ever to rock Cindy Brady pigtails and zebra fur (hair?), the second Hunter from S/LSH #199.

Five dollars to anyone who'll Photoshop that image so he's holding a vintage 1970s glam rock guitar. Something by Les Paul, maybe.

[cues up CD of "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"]

[ January 11, 2009, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------

cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:

Will it make you feel better, cleome, if I allow that those costumes are ridiculous, too?

(Of course, they weren't Legion costumes . . . [Wink] )

Dude, Ross' Shady is wearing even less than Wonder Woman, at least at the moment.

Never fear, though. My inability to feel better about anything is famous on several continents. [wink]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Well, I'm not following Ross's Legion, so I'll take your word for it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what that proves. The ridiculousness (or lack thereof) of Shady's, WW's, Red Sonja's or anyone else's attire doesn't make Grell's Cos and Colossal Boy any more or less ridiculous. Those costumes stand or fall (more the latter, I maintain) on their own merits.

Try drinking another pot of coffee. If it doesn't make you feel better, at least you'll be too hyper to care.

--------------------

cleome46

Actually I'm not following Ross, either. More's the pity. I was going by a link somebody posted here not too long ago.

Eh, the only thing I was really trying to prove, if you could call it that, is that ridiculousness seems more noticeable to a lot of fanboys when it's... y'know, boys that are running around with vast amounts of epidermis showing.

Granted, my survey is completely non-scientific.

As to the coffee issue, I'm way ahead of you. [Wink]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I'd say fanboys notice the ridiculousness of girls runnng around in skimpy costumes, too. It's just that we're too polite to mention it. [Wink]

--------------------

cleome46

Ah. Another piece to the puzzle. Bless yer' heart, Sir.

--------------------

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I'd say fanboys notice the ridiculousness of girls runnng around in skimpy costumes, too. It's just that we're too polite to mention it. [Wink]

One more reason to love v4.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.