Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » CALLING THE ROLL: A Tryout Special! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CALLING THE ROLL: A Tryout Special!
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
...Does it rob her of her powers when it touches her skin (if so, full body suit with mask, like Sensor Girl!)?...

I've been wondering about that forever, too.

It's right up there with "If Rogue wants to play spin-the-bottle with whomever, why doesn't she just take those inhibitor manacles that the Hellfire Club stuck everyone in once and make herself a couple of bracelets out of the SAME MATERIAL ?!"

Yeesh.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
Who would seriously be threatened by someone with the code name "Turtle"?

Villain X: "Run! It's Turtle!"

Perhaps he should add 'The Great and Powerful' before 'Turtle,' for added effect. [Smile]
For those who don't get that reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_and_Powerful_Turtle

One of the all-time great superhero characters.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I was always under the impression that NG was given powers by the night. I never thought of the sun as actually taking them away,although that's obviouly correct, in a way, I guess.

But on the other hand, she HAS always lost her powers in ANY kind of light, right?
Has that been shown consistantly?

Hum.
What wavelenghts effect her? Does she have powers in space? Would blacklights change her abilities?
I wonder why Brainy doesn't find her possible abilities and limitations interesting?

As to her invulnerability, I've always thought of her is at least partically invulnerable.
I mean, I don't know how she could hit something like a cement wall and not have broken bones if there wasn't SOME special protection there.

Wolverine's is metal bones and almost instant healing, but NG's never had or shown either of those.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
As to her invulnerability, I've always thought of her is at least partically invulnerable.
I mean, I don't know how she could hit something like a cement wall and not have broken bones if there wasn't SOME special protection there.

It seems like 'super-strength' has turned into code for 'strong *and* tough' in the last decade or so of comic-dom. Spiderman, for instance, is often shown (in movies and comics) being shoved through walls or getting backhanded by people like The Hulk, which would turn him into spidersplat, since he's never had the smallest hint of 'super-toughness.' Same with Wonder Woman and Thor, both of whom used to have to block *bullets* (with bracer or spinning hammer), but both of which can suck up blasts of destructive force able to knock jetliners out of the sky and collapse buildings with only some soot-smudges and a determined expression to show for it.

On the one hand, I consider it sloppy creeping revisionism, for these characters to become more and more invulnerable / super-tough as the writers enjoy showing them get beat up more often. On the other hand, some of them (like Thor) probably should have been darn near invulnerable from the start.

Ultra Boy is an odd corner case. He'd almost have to retain at least a *smidge* of invulnerability when he's using his super-strength (and perhaps even his super-speed!), or else his fist would shatter like glass the first time he punched something with super-strength.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Or just using super strength to lift something. If there wasn't some latent use or protection of invulnerability, the first time the tried to use superstrength to life something they would literally rip their muscles apart. Has to be a certain amount for the body's self preservation.

Human's have varying degrees of this. Pinch yourself and you can do it with no problem...but use sharp fingernails to do it and you will most likely stop before cutting the skin with pressure. Same thing i would imagine.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Or just using super strength to lift something. If there wasn't some latent use or protection of invulnerability, the first time the tried to use superstrength to life something they would literally rip their muscles apart. Has to be a certain amount for the body's self preservation.

Human's have varying degrees of this. Pinch yourself and you can do it with no problem...but use sharp fingernails to do it and you will most likely stop before cutting the skin with pressure. Same thing i would imagine.

Seems like Marvel tried to deal with some of these issues way back when they introduced Guardian (I think that's his name).
He's like Supes but he has things like TK that helps him hold buildings together when he lifts them and things like that.

DC seemed to want to build that kind of sensible physics stuff into Kon, too, with his TK (telekinesis) powerbase.

The problem with the idea of stopping before you get hurt is that would usually be based on pain levels, right?
But there's a lot of athletes that get hurt, sometimes permanently, everyday just doing 'normal' levels of activity.
So pain isn't really a very accurate guage.

That and NG couldn't even prevent her outfit from getting messed up when she fought Jo.
He might have pulled his punches and resorted to ripping her clothes to make his point, but a 'bad-guy' wouldn't.
She'd have to have super defensive moves to keep from getting hurt.

It would seem that her power might be based in magic rather then science.

Maybe that's why Brainy isn't more interested in her. He might suspect that he wouldn't like the answers.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The small sample of posters that replied here overwhelmingly would've voted Sizzle in. She received 8 'yes' votes.

Night Girl, surprisingly, received 4 votes. I wonder if the outcome would've been different if we hadn't seen that a Lydda had joined the ACTION LSH?

Turtle caught 3 voters' fancy. I hadn't thought of him as analgous to Ferro Lad, but he pretty much is.

Gazelle, the character that actually got full membership, didn't receive a vote (though Blockade Boy observed that he would've voted for her as a legionnaire, though not as a reader).

Interesting.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.