Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Story X really defines Character Y... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Story X really defines Character Y...
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Not a first in Legion history; Cosmic Boy used his flight ring offensively in the backup story of Superboy # 215.

That's true! Can't believe I forgot about that one.

[Embarrassed]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that Luornu's defining story is ADV. 369-370 (the Mordru story).

Another one that defines her for me is "1+1=3," a backup story from S/LSH # 216. She fakes being unconscious so that Chuck, her de-powered husband, can single-handedly defeat a group of street toughs.

In a way, this story is a continuation/culmination of her development in the Mordru story. Whereas Lu downplayed herself to the point where she could not confess her feelings to Superboy, here she downplays herself deliberately and for a far nobler reason: love.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Brainiac 5 - the Conspiracy story. When the Time Trapper looked down at the Legionnaires and said they had "tested" his power, and Brainy looks him square in the hood and demands acknowledgement: "Broke it. We traveled through time."

The Trapper continues to be dismissive, and once again declares his ultimate victory at the end of time. Brainy responds with "Ha!" and that gets the Trapper really mad.

Brainiac 5 of course considered Superboy a good friend, but his main beef with the Trapper was the proving false of his greatest scientific achievement, time travel. And he was willing to go to no limits to see that goal realized.

If Legion of 3 Worlds pays off nicely, that may yet be a more defining Brainiac 5 story.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hm . . . I guess Brainiac 5 is defined by several stories to me:

ADV. 340-341: The Computo story. It sets the stage for his later madness and shows him as someone so devoted to his research and inventions that he shuns his friends and responsibilities (he was Legion leader at the time), and fails to consider the dangerous implications of those inventions.

ADV. 344 or 45: Nardo tries to break Brainy by exposing him to holographic projections of himself. There are so many psychological implications here: does Brainy love/hate himself so much that Nardo chooses to use this strategy against him? In any event, Brainy successfully resists the pull toward narcissism--for now.

SUP # 204: While sleepwalking, Brainy builds an android duplicate of Kara and then runs off with her, again abandoning his friends and responsibilities.

S/LSH # 250: . . . where Brainy is revealed to be as mad as a proverbial hatter.

LSH (3rd series) # 51: Brainy wins the court martial trial for his role in the Conspiracy--only to resign from the Legion immediately afterwards. Again he abandons his friends and responsibilities. He seems to do this quite often, as if he's only serving as a Legionnaire until something better comes along.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
LSH (3rd series) # 51: Brainy wins the court martial trial for his role in the Conspiracy--only to resign from the Legion immediately afterwards.

This one really stuck out for me as well. His teammates are voting as to whether or not he's going to be kicked off the team, and he's calmy working in his lab. He has zero regrets and is utterly confident in the correctness and necessity of the choices he made. To get all Vorlon, 'The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.'

When a teammates gets in his face at the end, 'Don't you even care?' he's all, 'I already know the outcome. Hold your little vote.' and he turns out to be wrong by only a single vote, having misread Quislet's vote (but still right in how it ended up).

[It's also pointed here that Imra is the one who comes to tell him, and when she tells him that he's wrong, he looks surprised, and she immediately tells him that Quislet voted against him. Imra knew him well enough to know that he'd guessed *everyone elses votes correctly!*]

He's absolutely in command of himself in this issue, and it's interesting that Brainy has two modes that he weaves between throughout the years; infuriatingly in control or batshiat insane.

His hug with Imra, where he admits that she's the only real friend he's ever had, and suggest that she's the only person who has ever known him, is chilling, and not just because Imra said as much.

And his condescending parting quip, "I leave you my lab and my research. Do with them what you will, or what you can." was cute.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Adventure Comics 365 - 366
Shadow Lass

- Five against five! Don't think you can keep me on the side lines!

- Blame yourself Green-locks 1 You used up most of your gimmmck's power! Now let's settle our little disagreement , woman to woman!

For me....one wondeful way to introdincg a female warrior heroe!

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.