Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Interesting cover for Superman: Secret Origin (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Interesting cover for Superman: Secret Origin
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Some people are impossible to please. I think this artwork is gorgeous. Who's that on the far right with Supes? Jor-El and Lara? I've not seen this look for them.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Garth has a really smug look in that picture. For some reason, I'm now seeing Garth being played by the dude who plays Dean on Supernatural...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Jim,

I'd bet the bank they're going to be the "re-re-re-revised" Jor-El and Lara. [Smile]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I completely despise the crystalline Krypton.

Other than that, the image actually looks pretty decent.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Love it!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Gary Frank's artwork. It's realistic, but at the same time, it is very over the top, which enhances its sort of magical sensation for me. Yeah, sometimes I don't make sense...
On the other hand, this whole revisitation only serves to re-introduce Superboy to Superman's mythos and probably created the ultimate Doomsday (the Hulk on the last frame) or some dumb villain Geoff loves to create...

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope this cover from newsarama is accurate and we have Clark back with the Legion as should be!

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=727

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
That's already under discussion here.
Down the thread there's even a smaller colored version of four issues covers that link together.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I am not a fan of Gary Frank's Legion work. His style was better suited for the Squadron Supreme mini series (which was excellent).
I have to agree with Tromium .... "perpetually stoned" ... I love it! Took the words right out of my mouth.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh my... so let's recap: Somewhen in the 80s somebody made the weak-minded decision to erase Superboy cause he at that time was just not cool. or whatever. The whole Superman story was rewritten, and the Legion continuity was majorly challenged by this one decision which lead to Pocket universe, and later on, as the even more weak-minded decision was made that Pocket universe was not enough, lead further to Valor and in the end Zero Hour. Because it simply got too convoluted for the average reader (or so the editors thought).

Now, some 20 years later, they decide that Superboy wasn't that uncool at all... "now that you think of it... maybe..." so they rewrite it again. Or re-rewrite it so that it's much closer to the old continuity that to Byrne Man of Steel.

I liked the old continuity and never understood the Man of Steel approach, but the question that remains is.... WHY??? Why did they have to destroy everything in the first place?

The Legion and Superboy had always kind of a natural connection. I never was a Superboy fan, but I never had a problem with the 20th century connection as well. So now we seemingly are coming full circle. But so much has been lost on the way...

For me, the return of the para-classic Legion and of Superboy is a positive event. But I certainly won't get the whole Origins series (only the Legion issue) cause.... IT HAS BEEN TOLD AND RE-RETOLD WAY TOO OFTEN! I don't believe that there is much to add to it. Just make the old be new again and be done with it - if you need my Man of Steel copy to flush down the toilet, I'll be happy to provide it...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
probably created the ultimate Doomsday (the Hulk on the last frame) or some dumb villain Geoff loves to create...

What "Hulk" on the last frame? Have I gone blind? I don't see it.

Byrne: Did he ever give a reason for the removal of Superboy?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I completely despise the crystalline Krypton.

EDE i know what you mean,..i mean it's been over 30 years since Superman:the movie and to my recollection they never added anything from the movie into the Superman mythos. now all of a sudden it's like it's 1978 all over again. and what is the deal with Jor-el looking like as if Marlon brando and Michael McDonald had sired a son?

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
probably created the ultimate Doomsday (the Hulk on the last frame) or some dumb villain Geoff loves to create...

What "Hulk" on the last frame? Have I gone blind? I don't see it.

Byrne: Did he ever give a reason for the removal of Superboy?

It's actually on the 5th frame, on the black and white Newsarama article, not on the colored version.
 -

Byrne: I don't remember any specific reason. But I would say that it made more sense that Superman would appear as an adult in Metropolis out of a sudden than being for years and years stuck in Smallville being, you know, Superman and nobody knowing about it.
It was a sign of times, I guess. I still don't like Superboy and I prefer Byrne's reading of Superman over Johns. I mean, Krypto? Gimme a break. Unless it has an Ambush Bug tagged along, I really don't see a reason for SuperPuppies back into chronology.

[ November 30, 2008, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
If memory serves I think part of Byrne's rationale was also that because we know that Superboy grows up to become Superman then any Superboy story inherently lacks tension because he's in no real jeapardy.

I'm sort of noncommital about this latest development. Is it the last step in banishing the reboot and threeboot teams? I don't neccesarily enjoy the John's version of the team so much that enshrining it as the current "official" version thrills me.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Goes to personal tastes, i suppose. I liked the old Krypto stuff, as well as there being a Superboy with the legion. Much as i love the legion, it isn't Legion without Superboy.

After all, it is a classic origin, based on a Superboy story.

Superman was never my favorite, but for some reason, Superboy seemed like a completely different character, and one that, while not my favorite, worked in the context of the Legion.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.