Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH 43 ~~~~~SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: LSH 43 ~~~~~SPOILERS
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
Oh! BTW, it turns out that Jan sleeps in the buff and seems rather unconcerned with nudity among strangers! [Big Grin]

Well, this means I'll like the issue sight unseen!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Gizelle is an intergalactic class b!tch. She’d fit in better with the space pirates.

I don't agree. You'll remember that Giselle actually helped the Legionnaires by lying to the cops who were chasing them.

(If you thought that she was actually telling the cops the truth, then I can see why you would think that -- the artwork is slightly ambiguous as to whether the Legionnaires actually did go down the side pipe. But a few pages later, Imra mentions that the Legionnaires lost some of the cops underground.)

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
This issue was a mixed bag for me.

I liked that the plot moved along quite a bit in this issue (without the crazy alien attackers even showing up), and the parts with Jan, Tinya and Brainy getting the better of the SPs was great (gee, you don't think Brainy *memorised* all the important data do you? [Hmmm?] ).

I didn't like the continued portrayal of Timber Wolf as a total idiot. If all he does is charge in all the time without any thought at all, how the heck could he ever have pulled off any of the stealth missions he ran in the first part of the series? This sudden departure in character really stinks. I don't want an Ultra Boy with claws.

I also don't think as battle crazy as they are, any of the three in T-Wolf's crew would charge in blind.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe that nobody has yet mentioned the continued downhill slide of the artwork. The legionnaire's features look sloppy and rushed. Everything is too dark. Go back and check out the debut issue #37 of Shooter/Manapul/Livesay and notice how crisp and clean and clear the artwork was there.

Something has gone wrong the last two issues... not sure what it is.

I enjoyed the story though... but I don't like Trips being taken out of action before we've seen her kick any alien butt. Shooter started off his run by having her trashed physically... on the road to recuperation and then finally recovered and now...
hopefully she will reappear soon.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's telling that half of the Legionnaires that called Imra on tampering with minds have now all-but begged her to tamper with minds, *when it's convenient for them.*

First Brin, now Vi, both originally vehemently against it, now just as passionately arguing for her to muck around in other people's heads.

So far, I'm still enjoying this run, although the thought that Shooter has already gone (been driven off, whatever) kind of puts a damper on it.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue is the perfect antidote for all the "event driven" comics out there right now. The storyline is so focused. The characters are really taking shape. Just about everyone gets some panel time.
I have to disagree with The Man From Cargg on the art. Francis explained here last month what he is trying to accomplish. He is putting more of a focus on stroytelling than posing. It's working for me. The past couple of issues were not quickly drawn. Lots of detail in every panel, and lots of panels. I'm very impressed with the way he is growing as an artist.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaseous Lad
Harbinger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaseous Lad   Email Gaseous Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
On the plus side - at least we have a cover that accurately reflects what happens inside! [Wink]

Seriously - I didn't get into the book until the midpoint. Until then, I kept getting thrown off - Imra's flip-flopping, Lu's unnecessary snarkiness, the time bubble mystery, Brin's being a dick (granted, that it is his character - it nonetheless was distracting...)

Once Gizelle misdirects the SP, though, it was good, with the HQ scenes stealing the show. Especially enjoyed Tinya and Brainy's scenes.

My only other overall beef is the names. Granted LSH has a history of, shall we say, "interesting" names of characters, but this seemed like Writers 101. Ikilles? Really?

From: Maryland | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
I totally agreed with The Man From Cargg.
The Manapul's art it's very weak.
The Shady's costume is not the 37's cover, is almost the first Giffen costume of her.
And don't like this Timber Wolf with bare feet and act like a totally idiot.
I only wait The legion Of Three Worlds, and erasure 14 years of bad illusions.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
While I enjoyed the issue, I reread everything form the beginning of Shooter's run. it all does make sense, but it's so confusing for people who don't know the series. It's actually surprising for a series with such a lack of history and continuity.

I don't see how they could hope of attracting a new audience with this. [Frown]

And please, could someone give Timber Wolf some boots!!!!!

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
I have to disagree with The Man From Cargg on the art. Francis explained here last month what he is trying to accomplish. He is putting more of a focus on stroytelling than posing.

Jerry... I'm not asking for posing so much as the ability to distinguish clearly between Legionnaires... in the first pages of this issue I was having trouble figuring out whether it was IK, TW, KK or even TG doing the talking. This is the first time I've had to rely on the "Invisible Kid - Homeworld Earth" blurbs to figure things out. Everyone had the same blobby face and brown spiked hair.

This current art style is more suited to those noir-ish storylines that Bedard and Calero did.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
I have to disagree with The Man From Cargg on the art. Francis explained here last month what he is trying to accomplish. He is putting more of a focus on stroytelling than posing.

Jerry... I'm not asking for posing so much as the ability to distinguish clearly between Legionnaires... in the first pages of this issue I was having trouble figuring out whether it was IK, TW, KK or even TG doing the talking. This is the first time I've had to rely on the "Invisible Kid - Homeworld Earth" blurbs to figure things out. Everyone had the same blobby face and brown spiked hair.

This current art style is more suited to those noir-ish storylines that Bedard and Calero did.

Oh, please, Bedard was not noir-ish, he had a fill-in story that led nowhere, with lots of action and no plot. Now we have a sci-fi political book with not-so-teen adventurers. That's more like it.
And, for that reason, Legion for me is a book to have really intricate and daring artwork. Even though we had our share of classic artists, I don't think there is a return to that after Giffen, Pearson, Coipel and Manapul. Sorry, but this is how I see Legion: more experimental, more storytelling, less action-driven, more characterization, more background. And that's why I despised the reboot and love Shooter's run.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gaseous Lad:
Seriously - I didn't get into the book until the midpoint. Until then, I kept getting thrown off - Imra's flip-flopping, Lu's unnecessary snarkiness...

Actually, though I don't have the comic in front of me, I got the impression that Lu's apparent disparaging comment directed toward Lyle may have been a bubble-typo that was supposed to be spoken by either Brin or Shady. I say this because it seemed like she contradicted herself in the next line she said which supported him. I could be mis-remembering, though.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
As for Brin, I think Shooter is showing that he is getting more feral over time, possibly losing the control he showed earlier in the series. Bedard developed this somewhat, and Shooter has shown him getting increasingly more aggressive during his run.

And the bare feet ROCK, man! No feral character should wear boots, dammit! <No martial arts characters either, Val! [No] >

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
As for Brin, I think Shooter is showing that he is getting more feral over time, possibly losing the control he showed earlier in the series. Bedard developed this somewhat, and Shooter has shown him getting increasingly more aggressive during his run.

And the bare feet ROCK, man! No feral character should wear boots, dammit! <No martial arts characters either, Val! [No] >

This is not an anomaly, in fact, for Brin losing his temper and becoming more feral. TMK dealt with that and I think I remember some Levitz issues also dealing with that.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
again, i have to defend bedard and i think he did a bang up job with a GREAT plot (they go to find cos, but actually brainy's playing chess with them and getting supergirl to go back home, complete with excellent characterization, following up on previous storyline threads, reintroducing matter eater lad and ending on a pretty happy note)

that done, yes, someone's already mentioned that waid had jan liking naked time. i also like that he might get stoned. if you can control elements and can sober up at any point, why not?

again, nothing happened in this story, more of the same baby steps towards something but.. i dunno ho wto explain that an abundance of word bubbles and action scenes does not mean the story is moving forward.

why was giselle on that planet, btw? why wasn't she with the other UPYH people?! did i miss something? @_@ was there a team there to take care of rimbor??! oh and giselle was totally helping them out, she said "they went down this drain pipe" and the legionaires most definitely did not go down that drawn pipe. again, i thought that was pretty clear and not ambiguous at all in the art.

as for the art, i... still think it's top notch despite people's complaints. the legion hasn't gotten such a good artist on its book since coipel. i had no problem telling who was talking and what was going on. absolutely none. i don't know what to tell you.

as for dreamer being "excused: off duty"... being trapped in someone's head doesn't seem to fulfill that, i assume they're talking about dream BOY, since the rest of the UP understands that dream girl is DEAD (remember that thing where Naltor freaked out that b5 was keeping her body?).

jan liking naked time? = awesome

jo wanted for vehicular homicide? = AWESOME (...hahha he hit someone with a hover car, that must be pretty hard, right?!being up in the air.. you'd think they'd have better safety stuff in the future hahah wow. oh well, at least the IDEA is cool. i hope it turns out he picked up a car and hit someone with it.)

shrinking violet suddenly advocating SG mind wiping people after so vehemently being against it previously? = not awesome. opposite of awesome.

saturn girl using her powers in the bad way left and right, and worst leader ever (WE CAN'T DO THIS, IT'S HORRIBLE!.... WAIT OK, WE'LL DO THIS! WAIT LET ME CALL LL... I AM A DOORMAT MAYBE) = god kill me now.

cham god mode = *sobs* no, cham ;_;! though he does make great faces.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.