Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Ultra Boy's ability to fly... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ultra Boy's ability to fly...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yep.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It's kinda funny, the flight rings working like GL rings. Almost fitting...speaking of which, why haven't there ever been that many GL's in the 30th century? Rond Vidar is the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Something about the Guardians keeping them away from Earth. Vidar, Rond's father, was a rogue GL before he was stripped of his ring and went on to become Universo.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

As I recall they were banned from Earth on Mondays!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Still, with all the planet hopping the Legion does, and all the "Universal Threats" to crop up, you'd think you'd have seen more of them...

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

It *is* curious they didn't show up in Great Darkness. Or the Magic Wars. Or umpteen other billions of universe wide crises...
Not-So-Bad Lad

See what I mean?

--------------------

- Crow T. Robot

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
There had to be something behind the Lanterns not being around.

The Trapper is controlling the Guardians? The Time Trapper said the Legion is what always kept Mordu in check. Why not the Lanterns?

Are there less Lanterns in the future? Did they kept wiped out by Mordu? Or a scheme by Mordu followers keeping the GLs down?

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, post-Zero Hour, the Corps were never rebuilt from Mass Murdering Psycho Hal Jordan's rampage.

[ June 25, 2007, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Pre-ZH, we never saw more than a handful of GLs at a time. Maybe there weren't that many left? Maybe Oa's heyday was over, and they knew it. In GL continuity, remember, Earth of the year 6400 (or thereabouts) needed a time-travelling Hal Jordan (or Salaak); they had no GL of their own.

In 5YL, Celeste encounters a ring in flashback, just prior to her transformation, but it's implid that its purpose is not immediately evident; thus we can surmise GLs are not as well known in 30 as they were in 20.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, wasn't Celeste the recipient of the last of the Green Lantern energy?

The absence of the Guardians, for whatever reason, could also explain why the Controllers are suddenly taking a more active interest in the affairs of the Universe.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe the creation of the Legion is a direct result (from the Trapper's POV) of the GL being "weak".
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

In 5YL, Celeste encounters a ring in flashback, just prior to her transformation, but it's implid that its purpose is not immediately evident; thus we can surmise GLs are not as well known in 30 as they were in 20.

Celeste got the ring off of a corpse, and referred to it as "Jewelry". She didn't know what the GLs were, and she was never portrayed as a shut in, so it can be surmised that GLs just weren't in circulation in the 30th....but why?

--------------------

- Crow T. Robot

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I can think of at least 2 "working with what you have" explanations:

1) The universe is a REALLY big place, even for the Guardians. 3,600 Lanterns spread over the whole universe is spread pretty thin. You could argue that, by the 30th Century, Earth and the U.P. had gotten their act together enough that the Guardians turned their scarce resources elsewhere. Doesn't explain the Great Darkness, unfortunately. Wonder if Levitz ever thought about a scene where Darkseid banished Oa with his Omega Beams, or dispatched a few hundred thousand Daxamites to bottle Oa and the Lanterns up?

2) The story Levitz wrote about Vidar (Universo), the Legion and the GLC involved the Time Institute. Basically, Circadia Senius and Brainy were using the Time Institute to explore the beginning of the universe, saw the old "hand at the beginning of time" schtick with the cosmic lightning bolt. This brought down the wrath of the Oans and the Lanterns. In retaliation, Earth banned the Corps. One might extrapolate that Earth's prominence led all the UP to similarly ban the GLC. So, the Oans were "honor bound" not to interfere with the Great Darkness, Magic Wars, etc.

[ June 25, 2007, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: doublechinner ]

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

double chinner, i like that idea. The GL Corps are out among the fringe worlds. They cannot actually go to any UP world.

It gives them a very lawmen in the wild west feel.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.