Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legend of Valor -- Visited (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Legend of Valor -- Visited
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I don't think this story is complicated for a modern audience. Sure the original Mon-El origin is simpler and quite silly. I'm not a fan of that stuff. This story ties in to Legion mythos.

Let me clarify what I meant: It's a complicated story in terms of what it tries to accomplish, but not in terms of the audience being able to understand it.

quote:
Valor as the inspiration works for me. "Valor" works for me as well. (M'onel? UGH!)

I would guess big Superboy fans will not care for this story while big Mon-El fans like myself think he finally got his due? Well maybe not. Jerry seems to be a big Superboy fan and he liked it. [Wink]

I'm a big Mon-El fan. He's always been my favorite Legionnaire. My user name (He Who Wanders) is even taken from the reboot meaning of M'Onel (which I'll take any day of the week over Valor).

I suppose this is why I'm so disappointed in the story, because I don't feel it gives Lar his due. It tries instead to shoehorn him into a role he's required to fill by editorial dictates. This role doesn't feel natural for him.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This is definitely my least favorite of Tom and Mary's LSH tales, though I understand why it had to be told.

They were a given a Legion where Superboy was whited out and something important to me about Mon-El/Valor was and will always be the relationship with Superboy.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
He Who Wanders, never got the Mon-El connection. I love your name now! My "Himself Alone" is also a Mon-El tribute.

Also it's actually ironic that his name is Mon-El. Mon(o) can mean "one".

"Throughout antiquity, this place was known as Port Hercules. Phoecian and Carthagenian sailors contributed to its prosperity.

The name "Monaco", "Monoikos" in Greek, is nearly always associated with that of Hercules by the ancient writers.
In Greek, Heracles Monoikos may mean "Heracles alone" or "Heracles who has only one temple". This is popular etymology."

Doing a parallel between the romantic Hercules and the Mon-El? It works quite nicely. Hercules wandering the edge of the world (at the time) in Spain/Portugal. The gates of Hercules and all of that.

Mon-El needs that kind of respect. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately, one of the greatest Mon-El moments, in TMK #3, which has one of the best Legion covers ever (when thought about in terms of continuity of the last year or so at the time), is probably the last time we saw what I consider the real 'Mon'.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobalt, I agree. Maybe that Mon-El is wandering the end of time?
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, if that issue proves anything, Mon might be able to make things (re: Legion history) right then [Big Grin]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jorge, those are interesting associations for the name, "Mon-El." Certainly, Mon can be in the company of Hercules, who was a god with a human personality!

Here's another association with the name: "monel" is an alloy of steel!

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Maybe Mon-El (& Shady) should lead a team of Legionnaires called the Wanderers exploring the edge of space where no sentient has gone before! [Wink]

(i'm serious! imagine Legion Lost with classic Mon-E & Shady. They can investigate the deaths of the original Wanderers, etc.)

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've long thought "grown-up" space explorer Mon-el should be the leader of a new set of Wanderers!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
While I did like the focus on 20th Century Dominion society, I also did not like the way the Dark Circle was portrayed here, which is completely different than any previous appearance to TMK.

I actually liked that part of it; it fit how I envisioned the Circle much more than Levitz' version in Tales (which to me destroyed the mystery and collness of the Dark Circle. A bunch of clones? Blagh! so what?).
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Kent.

Esoteric ancient mystery religion Dark Circle is much cooler than clone Dark Circle.

And both completely rock out over Brainy's Mom's puppets Dark Circle of the post-ZH Legion.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
And both completely rock out over Brainy's Mom's puppets Dark Circle of the post-ZH Legion.

I thought you were part of the thousands of Legion fans who swore a blood oath never to mention that again. I know I still have my scar.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

EDE, i never knew Mon-El was an explorer. Having him leader of the Wanderers just opens up a new avenue for the Legion.

The ancient cult Dark Circle does rock. But you can still work the cloning in. [Smile]

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Jorge, being an explorer was part of the reason Lar Gand went to Krypton in the first place.

If you're interested, I once wrote a fanfic to explain, in part, why he never returned to Daxam.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

HWW, I never knew he went to Krypton until yesterday.

I knew he met Superboy and then because of lead poisoning went into the Phantom Zone. That's it. I've been reading since 83 (around) and don't remember hearing about him going to krypton.

Was it mentioned in the Who's Who in the Legion mini? Until recently (the internet) that was my source for Legion info.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.