Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Who/What do you want the Time Trapper to be? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Who/What do you want the Time Trapper to be?
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for a new origin, but I'm not sure what it would be. I'm only sure that when revealed, I'd say "Why didn't I think of that!" [Wink]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
I prefer the mystery, too. Yes, the hood and the cloak beg for a reveal, thats why any such 'reveal' MUST be another of TT's machinations. There should be one rule in the LOSH mythos: Never reveal the true identity and origin of TT. That's it, that's the one rule.

Wait, two rules:1. Never reveal the true identity and origin of TT and;
2. LOSH must always be a team, no more of this movement nonsense (what are they going to have a sit-in in the UP President's office?)

Oh, oh FINAL RULE: Lightning Lad has to have jacked-up luck but it never gets him down.

AND THAT'S IT! THOSE ARE THE RULES! Carry on.

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by candlelight:
There are a couple of great ideas here but I'd like the Trapper to be Dream Girl+ this time around.
Brainy did some strange stuff with her this boot and I'd like there to be more of a consequence than that he now has a split personality.

Shady! Welcome back!

TT as Dream Girl? A burgundy robe hiding that beautiful face? Well, it would be unexpected.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Duck's rules. It would be a fun series of stories to do an infinite regression of Time Trapper impersonators, and you could use all of the great ideas here, and more, but never get to the identity of the real villain. It's always more fun when everything is hinted at but not nailed down. Like all the connections between Reed Richards, Doom, Immortus, Kang, etc. Much more fun when you can speculate for yourself.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for something new.

One, I don't know much about TT and weren't sure who all these people were, but I do feel that he should be an unknown, wants you know that he is a rouge Controller, or an former villain or member, or something else (a former New God, guardian, etc) you make him mortal, he is no longer cosmic and just beyond our understanding, once you put him in a category he is just another comic character that can be defeated (because as far as I know all those aforementioned groups have at some point had their butts handed to them).

As for the entropy of time (or whatever), I'm sorry, but things like that just sound wimpy. I think I dislike them because they don't have a will, they are just an 'event' if that makes any sense.

I think the TT should always be clocked, and maybe you can drop suggestions that he is Krona or a former member or Dynamo Boy or something, but he can never be revealed because once revealed the mystery and 'awe' is gone. I don't know much about TT, but I think he's a great villain because it sounds like he is powerful (Time Trapper, messes with time, sounds like a worthy villain) and because you don't know his story (or at least I don't) so the 'mysterious cosmic villain' thing works for him.

Hope that all makes sense, it probably doesn't but I tried.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah i guess the fun is not knowing who he is. So Duck's rules make sense.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, even though I said I couldn't help but want a reveal, it was under my earlier premise that such a thing would basically mean no more Time Trapper stories. So while I really *don't* want a reveal, I really *do* want to think that one day there will be one.

Make sense? Guys like me and Walt Whitman don't need to make sense [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mysa Nal 3
& agents of the Magestrix

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysa Nal 3   Email Mysa Nal 3         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks HWW!
I lurk a lot.

I only thought Nura was a good idea because of her snatched dead body/rebooted body this time.
I was very unhappy with what happened to her AND the way she was envisioned by Waid.
[Smile]
Shady

--------------------
Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.

Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm.... I disagree strongly with the "permanent mystery" idea. Unless there's some definite answer to who he is and what his motivation is, then he remains completely uninteresting as a character as far as I'm concerned. If his motivations and actions are purposely vague and unintelligible, then the plotline of any story that is driven by his actions becomes vague and unintelligible. Mysteries in fiction are fine, but they require having answers that you can figure out, and be right or wrong about.

Especially given the serial nature of comics as a medium, having a principle that the TT's true identity be something that must remain permanently unrevealed is just a prescription for each writer to treat the character in a completely different manner, with no consistency whatsoever.

I also disagree that once his identity is revealed, his story is over. If his backstory is well done, and his agenda and motivations are indeed well thought out, the "reveal" of who he is has the potential to really be just the beginning of his story. The GDS plays on the mystery of the who the villain of the saga is. Is Darkseid's story over once he's revealed as the mysterious villain? Hardly.

I see the reveal of the Time Trapper's identity and motivations as something which can only progress the storyline, while leaving him permanently mysterious and vague gets old pretty quickly.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
EDE makes some strong points.

To fine-tune my position, I would argue that there is room for some ambiguity, to keep some mystery. We could see plenty of hints that it is a future version of a legionnaire or of a major DC immortal type, but never quite no for sure.

One of the things I dislike about super-hero universe-style storytelling is that the fans are usually told too much: we don't need to know that the Controllers were Oans, for instance; I'd have rather seen Oa left as a mystery.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Darn it I'm back and forth. I guess if the Trapper is to be a major villain (which he is). He needs motivation/goals. Why? And all of that goes to who he is.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with EDE that the Time Trapper should have a clear motivation. But I think you can have a clear motivation without making it crystal clear who/what the Trapper really is. In fact, I think it's imperative the Trapper have some clear motivation and ground rules, otherwise, how is it he never wins!?!?! He has all of eternity at his control, and he can't defeat a bunch of teenagers? I mean, c'mon, talk about a loser! (This is my general critique of all time travel villains, btw.)

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novelty
Stalked by Exnihil

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Novelty   Author's Homepage   Email Novelty         Edit/Delete Post     
What if the Time Trapper was of the same family/species/whatever that the Spectre is - an entity that can take a host of some sort? Would that idea get shot down?

--------------------
Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, after Kent and EDE's posts, now I have something to think about. Too bad this discussion was never had at DC...I think fleshing out what makes the Trapper and his story 'work' here is helping convince me whats right for the character.

I generally think that up until TMK, the character, while visually appealing, never really worked for me, despite being a terribly interesting background/referred-to character in the early Silver Age.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Novelty, well that might well be what he is now. He the personification of entropy. The Spectre of vengeance?

If the Trapper needs a human host? Dynamo Boy? Maybe that explains his weaknesses'?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.