Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » So if the "old" Legion comes back? What do you want? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: So if the "old" Legion comes back? What do you want?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobalt, I also agree have them in their twenties forever. The only ones they really showed getting "old" were the founders. And even then they were in what? Their late twenties/early thirties?

I would marry off Cos and Night Girl for sure. I mean the Subs at the wedding is a story onto itself.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh... actually, I kind of like "Phase" as a name for the adult Phantom Girl...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Okay... so my ultimate ideal way to bring the "old" Legion back would be to open up the story with something like "Another Five Years Later".

The Adventure Era Legionnaires would be about forty, but "feel" thirty, thanks to their merging with their younger temporal duplicates five years earlier.

What happened between "End of an Era" and the new series? I'd base the events of the intervening years roughly on the post-ZH Legion stories, and figure out a way to retcon the WaK Legion stories in as well, creating a grand unified history that would probably only serve to piss everybody off.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the more grown-up names. In the 20th century, Robin grew up and changed his name to Nightwing. In the 30th, Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass grew up and changed their names to Apparition and Umbra. It's all good to me.

I'm also a big fan of the partially grown-up team having some adult relationships and marriages and even a kid (in the case of Garth and Imra, but *not* Jo and Tinya, at least not as presented with 'Cub').

The JSA/JLA team-up shows an established Legion, with history, which I only like if it's a history that, for the most part, I've seen already. Probably the hardest part for me about the WaK reboot is not ever knowing the character's backstories (only knowing that they were sometimes very different, as in the case with Triplicate Girl or Element Lad), and now, seeming very unlikely to ever learn them.

If the team is going to have a lot of differences, like Karate Kid being alive while Sensor Girl is active, then I want to at least get some sort of heads up as to why this is so (it is said that the founders did something to save his life, so I'm fine with that. It doesn't even sound like a retcon, so much as something happened between the last time we saw them and now to 'save' Karate Kid).

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing new blood join the team, and that new blood including some of the more fun characters from other Legions, including Kid Quantum II and Gates, both of whom were fun characters.

I also enjoyed the 'power creep' that occurred over many years. Shadow Lass was shown blotting out a star at one point, Saturn Girl telepathically coordinated city-wide evacuations with her brain, while Element Lad changed the atmosphere of a planet. These are legendary heroes, worthy to be traveling in the company of Daxamites and Kryptonians, in some cases the most powerful and skilled examples of entire species of millions, or even *billions* of members. None of this, "I can transmute something I can touch. For 60 seconds..." crap.

So it was a joy to see Sensor Girl, alone and disoriented, pretty much single-handedly stymie the JLA and JSA. Dr. Midnight is all, 'But I have infrared vision!' and Superman is, 'Well, yeah, but that's *what she does,* so accept that she's gonna be good at it...'

I'm a little more ambiguous about situations where a characters powers are changed to make them more useful, such as the WaK reboot and Superboy's Legion's takes on Shadow Lasses powers. (I loved it in Superboy's Legion, since it was explicity spelled out, but found it very annoying in the WaK threeboot, since she was shown blocking Sun Boy's fire blast with it during the inter-Legion bickerfest, and later again shown blasting someone in the gut with it and hurting them, despite it *never being stated* that she was anything other than Lights Out Lass. Grr...) Quite a few Legionnaires could use some power-tweakage, and, particularly the femmes, who got a pretty raw deal (and mostly passive 'girly' powers) back in the day. Quite a few male Legionnaires have been tweaked downward (with Star Boy and Wildfire having lost *massive* amounts of power since their introductions), and I wouldn't mind at all Shadow Lass or Triplicate Girl getting a leg up. (Imagine Triplicate Girl's powers ramping up and allowing her to be more like Madrox!) Karate Kid would remain an exception. His ability to be competitive with skill instead of power is very much the point, in his case. [Smile]

Light Lass to Lightning Lass and Projectra to Sensor Girl are more 'organic' transitions that I'm good with. Given that it was 'Naltorian science' that gave Ayla her Light Lass powers, I would be thrilled to see 'Naltorian science' give them instead to Thom, to complement his 'make stuff heavy' power, while Ayla sticks to throwing lightning around, since they've pretty much abandoned the old 'can't have two people with the same powers' rule anyway to allow people like Superboy, Supergirl and Mon-El to all be members.

[ June 05, 2007, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I like them being powerful myself. The examples you gave were perfect Set.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Phantom Lady's pretty suitable for Tinya, given that she's the daughter of a woman who's been president in more than one continuity.

How about Shady Lady for Tasmia?

I'd like to see a Lyle Norg who's of the same ages as his peers and has the ultra-observant spy thing going on. And the applied science background.

In short, reboot Lyle inserted into whatever continuity's going to be ongoing.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I could get used to "Shady Lady"...
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Why not "Shlady" for short?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd like to keep the Core membership to about 16 or so with the remaining Legionaires becoming the Subs for the group like say if Jo's on a special mission or on leave call in Lar to cover for him and maybe they can have their own Adventures from time to time,As for the re-boot Zero Hour characters the Legion Academy looks like a good place to re-introduce them think of them as the New Mutants to the Legions X-Men,as for the 5YG characters mix and match them up with the Heroes of Lallor and the Wanderers to form The New Wanderers,Also I would like to see Dave Cockrum's original idea for Tyr as the leader of a group of Bounty Hunters using some characters from the original Legion's continuity.

Hey thats 5 titles I'd buy every month 6 if they published the original Legion bi-weekly.

[ June 05, 2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kryptaku
Jay-El

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kryptaku   Email Kryptaku         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, this is a much harder question to answer than I original anticipated. I wouldn't keep a single thing so far from the 3Boot, but there are definitely aspects of the reboot that I loved. Gates and XS being the main bits.

What would I really do? Hmm, I think I would restart the book again, right after the ZH Merge of the Adult Legion and SW6. I would have them un-combine ... but, due to the fluctuations of the time stream, I would have dead Legionnaires come back to life, and have SW6 copies of more of them.

So, basically, I'd like the adult Legion with dead members back ... and a young SW6 Legion with more members as well as new members such as Gates and XS ... that way you could have the Gates/Brainiac 5 friendship without having to retcon it back to the beginning of the team. And XS could join to honor her mom who was killed in the Dominator Invasion.

Of course, I would also make SW6 take place at the brand new Legion Academy, and thats where all the new team members would go to train. Basically, the SW6 Legion book would be the Legion version of "Generation X", which I would read in a heartbeat ... and it would occassionally cross over with the adult Legion. But, mostly, they'd have their own stories.

This is the way that DC should have taken it, in my opinion.

From: Maryland | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd rather not see any of the SW6 stuff. Just start it up before the John Byrne Superman revamp. Gradually re-introduce some of the re-boot Legionaires XS, Gates along with Kono & Devlin O'Ryan from the 5YG.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am definitely in favor of assigning the various Legions to their own earths...I don't want them put together, in some cases that is an impossibility.

Besides DC has 52 Earths...and since back in the days of the old multiverse, alternate Legions have always been a part of them.

Not only would I like to see the various Legions we know of get their own Earths...I'd like to see some additional Legions...

Like Superboy's Legion, or some of the other Elseworld's Legions, as well as ones we haven't seen.

Even when they do bring the orginal Legion back, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the chracters of other the other Legions finding their way into the PC Legion's contuity...

I'd like Laurel Gand to be brought in(kinda makes sense Mon would have relatives on Daxam), Gates, Gear, Kent Shakespeare, XS is a definite, possibly Thunder...

It would be cool.

Man I don't know about you guys, but the Legion of 3 World's sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. I love that DC is finally giving the Legion and the 30-31 century universe the respect it deserves...

LLTL.

You know what would be cool? And would take guts?

If they actually split the Shooter Swan Legion off from the Bates Cockrum and had an Earth with the Shooter Swan Legion still on it...with chronicles still to be told in the Silver Age....

You see, the Byrne revamp wasn't the first time the Legion got banished to oblivion for absolutely no reason...the first time was when they were pulled out of Adenvture and put in as a backup in Action...

That would be so awesome...say Shooter Perez(big Curt Swan fan and heavily influenced by him)...picking up the SA Legion from the end of the Shooter Swan Run.

Man I love that the multiverse is back...

People should not be worried about the Post Crisis versions of the Legion...as we can see, those Earths and timelines still exist...I'm just worried that they aren't going to bring this Original Legion back full time...but I think they will. It deserves better than oblivion.

I think the Legion Cartoon probably also has it's own Earth....

[ June 05, 2007, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Hmm... I could get used to "Shady Lady"...

How about "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane"?

http://www.theguitarguy.com/naughtyl.htm

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's what I'd really do. I'd forget about the Legion showing up in JLA/JSA. I'd bring back the Legion as it was right before 'End of an Era', with the SW6ers and everything. I'd give Brainy a haircut. I'd put the SW6ers and the older Legionnaires into one group, but I'd pare down the membership in some non-traumatic way so that there wouldn't be all these doubles wandering around confusing the issue. I'd let the older Legionnaires keep their sad-ass '90s 'Legion on the Run' codenames, Polestar and Virus and all that stuff (except for NRG and 5. Those names must go). I'd bring back Kono and Veilmist and Flederweb and Kent Shakespeare; I'd grow back Dawnstar's wings.

And then I would tell some kickass space adventure superhero stories about them. And I wouldn't touch Mordru, Glorith, the Dominion, the Khunds, Starfinger or Universo for at least the first fifty issues.

I would make it clear that the reboot and threeboot Legions existed on parallel Earths, and I would have crossovers.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I'd bring back Kono and Veilmist and Flederweb and Kent Shakespeare; I'd grow back Dawnstar's wings.

And the irony of Legion fandom is that I didn't know that Dawnstar ever lost her wings, and I have no idea who these other four people are, other than one is named after a fruit drink, Sketch Lad loves to draw Veilmist (and, despite being purple and sexy, she's supposed to be a member of the ugly yellow Khunds???) and Kent Shapespeare is a regular poster here.

Oh, and Fledermaus is German for bat (or flying mouse, technically). I know that, too. [Smile]

Somewhere after the Baxter Legion I lost track.

I've seen Gates, XS, Monstress, etc. in the once or twice a year very depressing genre-smothering Blight / Robotican / Terrorform / psycho-killer Element Lad / Ras al-Ghul can whistle and paralyze Durlans, outwit Brainy and move faster than Mon-El (wtf?) crapfests I picked up between then and the WaK threeboot, but I completely missed all of these characters.

Anyone have any idea if JLA/JSA are seeing any sort of sales impact from the Legion appearance? Younger fans losing interest on the story focus on a bunch of characters from the 80s? Sales upticking from old fogeys like me picking up books they otherwise wouldn't have touched?

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.