Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » "Our devotion to each other was unexplainable" (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree about the Titans. I alwas thought Wally should've been in the Titans after he became the Flash.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
"We were Legion."

With those three words, in that context, following that set of flashbacks, Johns out-Legioned the entire Waid run.

Agreed.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
"We were Legion."

With those three words, in that context, following that set of flashbacks, Johns out-Legioned the entire Waid run.

Well written Kent. I think the whole Waid arc is totally missing the most important ingredient: The Legion SPIRIT. Even if the last storyline was a decent scifi superhero story, it still was kind of hovering in thin air, if you know what I mean. The Waid run is missing the basics to build on.

Just seeing Wildfire again, just reading Superman telling the story of Lightning Lad getting ressurrected for me has a much higher impact. The current Legion is lacking its own history - like a new Major League Baseball team being compared to the Red Sox or Cubs.

I really am very excited about the old guys returning in the old costumes. So when they now are starting to even retell the old stories - would a reprint of "Secrets of the LSH" be a good idea now??? - there seems to be reason for hope that a major part of DC history might be reestablished very soon, returning the heart and soul of the Legion by bringing back history. Even if they probably will leave out 5YL.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
ehhh I don't know for all this philosophizing.

Legion seemed to me just the neighborhood club and the others didn't. Remember, Legion came before Legion's origin. They were just a bunch of kid that would occasionally hold neighborhood tryouts for new members, plus they had something even better than a tree-house or our old duct-tape and refrigerator box hangout. They had an upside down rocket ship. They were to me the neighborhood school club that won the championship, not the after-season all-star team put together to reward individuals.

LSHers were buddies first and the others were powers first.

Just my take as I remember it and I have to believe to some extent that's true for all of us. Compare this message board to most of the others you know of?

[ May 29, 2007, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
The Legion has the distinction of growing up together -- they join as teens, live together, have no outside life and die as Legionnaires. There aren't any other teams I can think of that spend *all their time* together. (maybe certain versions of the Doom Patrol, but I'm not sure)

This is important too. The Titans sort of grew up together, but most of them started out as sidekicks of other superheroes, so they had some sort of a well-established identity prior to joining the team. With the Legion, this was only true in Superboy and Supergirl's case.

[qb]Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:

While the sentiment hasn't been as consistently there as it has with the LSH, the Titans *have* exemplified it, from time to time. For me, most notably in the Technis Imperitave mini-series (JLA/TITANS?) from a few years ago.

That story saw characters like Wally West and Dick Grayson aligning themselves with the Titans against their mentors, pretty much unapologetically. The series that followed pretty much squandered the ideals that the mini gave the characters, though a couple of flashbacks set in the Fab Five's past hinted at what fun a look at this time in the characters' lives could be.[/qb[/

I really liked JLA/Titans, despite my distaste for Phil Jimenez's artwork. And I also thought that Devin's ongoing Titans series was very disappointing.

A Titans: Year One miniseries would certainly be nice. Maybe they could even get Nick Cardy to draw some of it.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
[qb]
In fact, this mission oughtta lead to him spending some time with Dick Grayson and Donna-- maybe prompting them to look for Wally and Garth?

Where are Wally and Garth? I haven't been following Titans lately. I wish the dirty rotten bastards hadn't Ravenized and then killed Lilith though. GRRR!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer07
Interstellar Man of Mystery.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucifer07   Email Lucifer07         Edit/Delete Post     
So what about us? Our passion for the Legion is legendary. What makes Legion fans so devoted to the Legion?

I'll admit growing up as a only child I remember how cool it was to go visit my cousins. It may sound goofy now, but to a kid I could relate to Superboy going to hang out with other kids who had super powers. That is what drew me in.

And I stayed with them because as they grew up so did I. The same could be said for the Titans
but the Legion had more going for it. The Sci-Fi aspect, A huge cast. Powerful Villians, and of course Khunds,Dominion,Controllers,etc.

--------------------
I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)

From: Webers World | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lucifer07:
So what about us? Our passion for the Legion is legendary. What makes Legion fans so devoted to the Legion?

When I started to really get into the Legion, at the beginning of the Archie Legion era, I was a lonely, socially awkward twelve-year-old. My junior high school was full of cliques, none of which I belonged to, and my classmates were a bunch of jerks. So I was enchanted by the idea of a group of people my own age who loved each other and treated each other as equals. The superpowers didn't have much to do with it.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
This thread makes me happy.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
I kind of imagine Batman in the back muttering "Inexplicable, Clark. Aren't you supposed to be a journalist?"
From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucifer07:

When I started to really get into the Legion, at the beginning of the Archie Legion era, I was a lonely, socially awkward twelve-year-old. My junior high school was full of cliques, none of which I belonged to, and my classmates were a bunch of jerks. So I was enchanted by the idea of a group of people my own age who loved each other and treated each other as equals. The superpowers didn't have much to do with it.
I think a lot of us can relate. I have to say, that 'rebel without a cause/street smart Jo' helped influence how I acted a little, probably b/c I wanted to date girls that were like Tinya (early reboot Tinya.

Yes, Cobie ----------> girl crazy from day one.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Yes, Cobie ----------> girl crazy from day one.

I hear the nurses in the delivery room filed a sexual harrassment suit.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, the motivations of the characters in the original "wandholding" ritual in 1963 were quite explainable. Most of them had fairly clear-cut reasons for wanting to risk his/her life, whether it was strong affection for the deceased (Light Lass, Sun Boy), feelings of responsibility for having sent him to his death (Mon-El) or guilt (Saturn Girl). As the star of the show, Superboy could not *not* be there, and Cham was a part of the needed plot device.

It never entered my mind that it had anything to do with team-wide "devotion" to one another. Would Cosmic Boy have willingly volunteered to hold a wand? I'm not so sure. When Ayla disguised herself as Garth come back from the dead, Cos's first impulse was to get "him" expelled from the team.

That the sacrifice has now become a symbol for a degree of team devotion and unity that did not exist at the time seems a bit strange to me.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Even though I grew up with the postZH Legion, that line still brought a tear to my eye.

I dunno about the lack of camaraderie then, since I haven't read everything, but the Legion did squabble from time to time. Remember when Cham did the whole suicide squad on Khundia thing in the middle of the Levitz run? And of course Star Boy's expulsion. *shrug* maybe we're overanalyzing. But the Legion always seemed to pull together despite all this stuff.

I think one of the things that makes the Legion so special is that they started out their heroic careers a) as pioneers (they were the first heroes of their era, pretty much) and b) they started out as a team/members of a team, instead of the JSA or JLA who had solo careers first. I think this would add a lot to the devotion they felt for each other.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.