Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Official Legion Showcase Thread (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Official Legion Showcase Thread
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
it sounds like the Showcases are like Marvel's Essentials then?

That's exactly right, and pretty much where the idea came from.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Have you tried ebay?

I've never actually used eBay. I did just recently order a few from alibris.com, and got them for less than half of what I'd pay in a store, so I'm happy enough. But I just don't like the Silver Age enough to pay even that much for those stories; I'll just go with the Showcase editions (I assume there will be more) and that'll be fine.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
it sounds like the Showcases are like Marvel's Essentials then?

Exactly. I love these things. I have the JLA, Teen Titans, and GL Showcase volumes, which have allowed me to read the seminal stories from these series without spending Archive levels of cash. I honestly will likely skip the Legion Showcase, given that I have the 12 Archives.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
No idea how many volumes the Legion Showcase will have but Superman is on its third (IIRC), House of Mystery is doing its second and I think Batman may already have two.

Superman is the only one to have multiple volumes published thus far (two Superman proper, and 1 Superman Family). JLA and GL both have second volumes coming out in the next couple of months.

Strangely, neither Wonder Woman nor Flash have received Showcases yet.

What's really been a treat about them is that the best ones have tended to be comics I would never have otherwise picked up, including stuff like House of Mystery or Haunted Tank. Oddly enough, some of the ones I really looked forward to, like JLA, have been kind of disappointing.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Superman gets Vol. 3 in the March solicits. And I could swear that I have two of another on my shelf and thought it was Batman. Maybe it was the three Superman titles sitting together.

And we called the Showcase DC's version of Marvel's Essentials way back in June of last year. As just about every comic news outlet did.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
While others may work without the colour, I don't think the Legion can. The bright "Futuristic" colours were an essential part of the art.

I'm holding out against all hope for the "Chronicles" treatment. (and Write DC from time to time to tell them that).

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     

[ December 12, 2006, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: mechana ]

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
That's the benefit of parallel releasing of the B&W Showcase on volumes where there are archives already released. There is very little to the volumes in terms of design. Making a cover and updating the table of contents is about it.

Essentially all the costs of digitally separating the black line work from the comics has been done. If you view that work as a sunk cost, any contribution margin earned on a Showcase volume goes straight to the bottom line.

/Management Accountant

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I suspect I will not buy any more of the Showcases or the Essentials. The reason is, Marvel has put out on DVD complete runs of a few titles, including Fantastic Four and Amazing Spiderman. Why pay 17 bucks for a handful of black-and-white issues, when I can plunk down 50 bucks and have every issue in full color?

The problem with this scenario, is, of course, DC has not done this at all, and Marvel has only done it with a few titles. I have been hoping for years this would be done with DC's golden age titles, but to date they have not. Still, I can be patient, and hope that someday they'll have a complete Batman or Superman on disk from day 1. Or, perhaps I am just dreaming...

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have any of the Archives yet--I'm hoping someone will come through with some of them for me for Christmas--but I'd certainly consider getting the Showcase for some of the early stuff.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Even though I have all these issues in Archives and original issues, I might buy this anyway, to carry around on business trips or something. That it smells like old comics makes it all the better!

I also will demand that EDE do a Showcase review of this!

Actually, this might kick-start me into getting other Showcase series, like the weird heroes, horror, war and westerns they've done.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Solicit text added!
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

This is were we run into some trouble with the Showcases. The third Superman (also in the March solicits, text below) features the Legion of Super-Villains. Will this story also see print in the Legion's Showcases?

EDE, you read the second Superman collection haven't you? Was Action #267 included? It should have been in the second volume. If it wasn't then it should show up in the Legion one.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN VOL. 3 TP
Written by Jerry Siegel and others
Art by Curt Swan and others
Cover by Swan
The third volume collecting early Superman adventures in black-and-white at a value price! This amazing collection includes appearances by Supergirl and Krypto and a retelling of Superman's origin, plus threats from Lex Luthor, Brainiac, the Legion of Super-Villains and the Fifth Dimensional imp known as Mr. Mxyzptlk!
Advance-solicited; on sale April 18 o 560 pg, B&W, $16.99 US

Lightning Lad
Founder

The actual Action issues aren't broken down for this collection but should feature the story from Action Comics #286, The Jury of Super-Enemies. Action Comics #283 should also be included in this collection which features the appearance of Chameleon men (Jan-Dex and Zo-Gar) in The Red Kryptonite Menace.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
EDE, you read the second Superman collection haven't you? Was Action #267 included? It should have been in the second volume. If it wasn't then it should show up in the Legion one.

You mean the Supergirl story? No, but Supergirl stories generally aren't reprinted. The only thing it has from Action #267 is "Hercules in the 20th Century".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.