Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » CALLING THE ROLL OF LSH #12.... spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CALLING THE ROLL OF LSH #12.... spoilers
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by imskian78:
good issue but I agree DO NOT LIKE VIOLET"S HAIR AND COLORS! Like the green and black in the Titans Legion thingy .... but any Violet is better than another year without Violet

You mean that pin-up page at the end of Lyle's introduction?

I like the idea of green and purple-- just not the shade of purple used here.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'm just glad we have a Violet --!!NOT!! Atom Girl [Big Grin] --that I actually LIKE now. It's been a while.

Since the Emerald Eye fiasco?

quote:

I kind-of hope that ISN'T Infectious Lass-- I prefer her classic or TMK look.

DEFINITELY!

quote:

Thanks for the excellent review, Toddster.

You're welcome.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
BRAINIAC "David" 5.

- Elysion's overweening hubris makes him a fine fill-in for "Goliath", but it's actually Atom Girl who gets to play the giant role here. B5 getting down-n-dirty is my favorite flavor of Brainy. This scene exceeded expectations, not only for AG's spectactular entrance/exit, but Brainy's practical use of his intellect.

She was more the rock in the slingshot. Her story-impact was giant-like, though.

Fingers crossed that Elysion will survive the next couple of issues, 'cause I think he could be a fine recurring villain. And those are few and far between, these days.

quote:

- Yeah, Elys is such a unrepentent maniac, I'd love to see him paired up someday with one of the Legion's *classic* maniacs - like Mekt. Imagine the damage those two nasty boys could do together!

How about pairing him with a 'lesser light'. Quicksand, maybe?

Put down your toy, Brainyboy. Time to get that 12th level intel hummin' and restore the life of that beauty with the red 'deceased' stamped across her face on the roll call page. I can't *wait* to see what you come up with to outthink death.

quote:

- And if it turns out Brainy really isn't smart enough to outthink death, he's still plenty smart enough to construct a Dreamy-Bot ... in his sleep. Seriously, though, I think you might have hit on it, intentionally or not. See my response below for Atom Girl.

Dream-bot... Ms. Terious... connections <<kk..kk>> being made <<kk>>

INVISIBLE KID: Lyle's bravery and persistance is more than admirable. He'd almost get 'Legionnaire of the month', if there were such a thing (hmmm- maybe there should be?). But someone else shone just a touch brighter, IMO.

quote:

- Lyle continues to ascend the list of my 3boot favorites. The kid really earned his flight ring this issue. All that remains is for Atom Girl to acquit him of suspicions of treachery. The fact that the "microuniverse" bubble was located in Brainy's lab makes it clear SHE was the tattletale. But we sort of knew that all along.

But is she aware of what's going on in the 'larger' world? Or were her 'when is it' questions rhetoric?

DREAM GIRL: Others have already mentioned the similarity between the ADVENTURE Lightning Lad's glass coffin and Dreamy's force-field one.

quote:

- The analogy is apt but, as LL himself will attest, there's sometimes a high price to pay for returning from the dead. I believe that Dreamy *will* come back, but she'll be forever changed somehow.

Very likely. Let's hope there's no identity-hopping involved.

COSMIC BOY: 'Legion channel one'? Hmmm. "Every sentient within the sound of my voice", so he begins his announcement of the renamed Service. Does that mean only 'underagers' heard this? Or are others linked in? 'Overagers', too, as I've half-way wondered?

quote:

- If Lightning Lad - who is not wired to the Public Service - can hear/see "headgear" Cos on Ttrxl, I imagine everyone else can, too. I really hope 'Legion Channel One" becomes a permanent fixture, with Cos doing a weekly inspirational fireside chat a la FDR.

Inspirational or hit-em-over-the-head? This Cos seems likely to be either.

PROJECTRA: The many facets of Projectra. I don't have a clear sense of her- but I'm *heartily* glad she's no longer this team's deluded rich girl with no superpowers.

quote:

- I don't have a clear sense of her, either. I do love the idea of Jeckie and Brin as a couple but, to tell the truth, Jeckie herself doesn't move me that much. Maybe's it's because she was outdone in this issue in every respect by Atom Girl but somehow, I expected more of her first display of power. It fell a little flat for me. Also, the original Jeckie had a quiet, regal grace this version is completely lacking. I don't dislike her. I just don't find her very appealing yet.

She's still a cypher, to me, too.

I wonder if Cosmic Boy knew that she'd demonstrate these powers with the death of her parents? I sort of think he did.

quote:

Nah, probably not. If Cos had known about her hereditary powers, I think he would have mentioned it in his defense to Star Boy when SB criticized his morals for milking the powerless Jeckie like a cash cow.

He might be keeping the info close to the vest. He probably didn't know.

ULTRA BOY: "Lead underwear" HA! But I thought penetra vision could see through lead, too?

quote:

- Correct, but Imra doesn't know that!! Jo is smarter than he appears. [Smile]

If you say so.

LIGHTNING LAD: Visually, it provides a nice foreshadowing of the LLad-Saturn Girl back-up tale-- Garth's last panel is a burst of yellow lightning; the back-up begins with a similar burst.

quote:

- Garth's visuals have been superb throughout the series, and especially in this issue. If Cos is a lot more "magnetic" than previous incarnations, and Light Lass "lighter", then 3boot Garth is certainly more "electric" as well. To quote Element Lad in last month's story, it seems "their true essence is shining through". Speaking of which ...

You think this Cos is more magnetic than the reboot one? Hmmmm. Don't quite see it. Light Lass and Garth, your analogies fit.

Foreshadowing. An apt word that also applies to the back-up in general. At least, I think it does. We'll soon see.

quote:

- Foreshadowing + Garth = Foreboding. Things seem to have gone well for him so far. Too well, maybe. Now that we've seen him take his first step onto his usual path to Hell (i.e., falling for Imra), it's probably only a matter of time before the 3boot Luck Lords catch up to him - figuratively if not literally. It's as if he's destined to live the same life over and over and over again. The way I view it (can I be more cynical?) this little story is not a matter of renewing a "sacred" Legion romance but of renewing a cosmic curse. Plus, I see a potentially serious problem looming on the political horizon (see my comments below for Saturn Girl).

Garth and Imra... a cosmic curse? Ha!

CHAMELEON: Cham as a *coating* used to disguise Garth as Saturn Girl! Clever! Creepy! Altogether Oooky! His frazzled reaction to Garth's burst of lightning through the *coating* was priceless!

quote:

- "Creepy" is precisely the right word to describe the "Imra suit" as well as the idea of such intimate contact with a Durlan (blech). But I have to applaud WaK's creativity in coming up with a brand new application for Cham's powers after all these years. I just KNEW Cham's impersonations would pay off and here they do - wonderfully.

I liked this bit. "Imra suit"- hee-hee! Wonder who else Cham'll be practicing this with/on?

BRIN LONDO: "Ultra Doof?" "Always said you were lazy." Banter or the beginnings of another Legionnaire rivalry?

quote:

- Now that Brin isn't sniffing around Jo's woman, they might make a good team - if they can manage to control their raging testosterone levels.

I'd almost forgotten the DNA Jo/Brin rivalry. Does it seem that this Brin probably joined before this Jo? (assuming he 'joined'...)

SATURN GIRL: Don't have much to say about her. The back-up seems to be a bit of fill-in-the-blank.

quote:

- I thought it was a lot more than "fill-in-the blank" if only for the strong parallels than ran through it. LL and SG's disparate views on political action - Imra's "Not ready...Take it slow" vs. Garth's "Move forward...change the galaxy" - define not only their vastly different personalities but the very nature of their age-old relationship, as well as the philosophical differences that have divided the 3boot Legion. Interestingly, it may be the case that Garth supports Cos more out of personal loyalty than anything else. His ambitions for change makes him sound more like a Brainy supporter. Will he be the one to switch sides? It's possible we're seeing the first hints that the founder trinity is not destined to last.

Shouldn't the 'side-switching' have already happened? No, it's still ahead, isn't it? Somehow, I don't think the side that's switched will be from supporting Brainy to backing Rokk... or vice versa.

KARATE KID: A few lines of fierce, steady, unflappable resolve. I love that page. I like Val's characterization and the way so much of it is revealed in a close-up of a bleakly calm face.

quote:

- And to think I always hated Karate Kid. WaK has (have?) performed a minor miracle with Val and, like Lyle, he really came into his own this issue.

Wonder if they've won Keith Giffen over?

ATOM GIRL: Is the bottom panel of page 2 a representation from the POV of the rock that is/was housing AG? Is that rock Imsk? Or is that a hasty conclusion?

quote:

- My guess is that the rock is an asteroid or planetoid in the bubble "microverse". She has to have been in the bubble for at least a few months because that's how long Karate Kid, who believed she was a hoax, has been on the team. Is Atom Girl really shy, or did something happen to piss her off?

Add Element Lad to the 'hasn't met' yet list for AG.

'Bout time for a definitive 'who joined when' list. From the creative team.

The anesthetize/cauterize dialogue could signal a medical background... or just a creative style of battle-banter.

quote:

- MEDICAL! WHOA! THAT'S IT!! Brainy and Atom Girl are going to perform micro-surgery on Nura's brain and rekindle the tiny "spark of life" that remains in her. "Fantastic Voyage" redux, like her journey into Superboy's brain in Adv. #350. I hope so, anyway. [Big Grin]

I LOVE that idea! One of the first things I think of when I think 'Shrinking Violet', is the image of her flying up a Kryptonian nostril, then fighting off a corpuscle, exiting Clark's body through a tear.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:

Todd, your Calling the Rolls are always great - you pick up on things I miss and I look forward to them every month.

Thanks! That makes them worth doing! Be sure and reply every month, too...
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Brainiac 5: The guy really does always have something up his sleeve. This time it's an entire microverse with a hidden Legion operative! Having pulled of the deus ex machina with Atom Girl, I now believe he WILL bring Dream Girl back to life.

For all we know, Atom Girl commands an entire army in that microverse. Maybe she's the only one that can exit by growing... hmmm... a shrunken, microscopic army.

quote:

Atom Girl: I am psyched by her! I even like her code name. I agree her costume is too garish in coloration, but it's lines (and curves!) sure look great. Her "where am I?" schtick was hilarious.

I'm a little bit bothered by her disconnect to goings-on in the 'outer' world. It made for a great moment here, but will it years from now?

quote:

Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl: I was delighted to see a story about how the 2 of them began to fall in love. I am not sure this story has ever been told convincingly, or at all even. I may be in the minority, but I am enjoying the "character-building" back-up stories. It reminds me of the early 1970s and early 1980s. Wasn't the Brainy/Supergirl Robot story a back-up?

NONE of the traditional copies really had 'see them fall in love' stories. It was more doomed-at-a-glance, then be consigned to couple-dom in all realities.

quote:

Timber Wolf: Interesting that HE knew about how Jeckie could get her powers. They obviously know A LOT about each other.

It'll be fun to discover what *she* knows about *him*.

quote:

Projectra: She is turning into an awesome character, as well. I have to say I never liked her much in the original Legion, even in her split-down-the-middle outfit. Her hair always made me think she was a little old lady. Her haughty princess personality always turned me off. This Jeckie now has pathos and sadness behind her haughtiness (as did pre-boot Sensor Girl), and an interesting combination of wisdom and guilessness. A Princess without a planet may be much more interesting.

I'm glad you're enjoying her, but I'd still pick preboot Jeckie. Maybe even Sensor. Besides, she stole Element Lad's origin. [Smile]
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
quote:
Wasn't the Brainy/Supergirl Robot story a back-up?

Indeed it was. (And in my opinion, it was better than the main story in that issue.)
Off the top of my head, I don't even remember what the main story was! That back-up really lives on in my imagination, at least.

Brainy's PJs... the shocking implications of his little 'project'... the Kara-bot's sacrifice... the real Kara's entrance... Grell's art...

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't it the Anti Lad story?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

So it was.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asharak
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asharak           Edit/Delete Post     
"Fingers crossed that Elysion will survive the next couple of issues, 'cause I think he could be a fine recurring villain. And those are few and far between, these days."

What i don't understand is wy didn't Garth kill Elysion with that big lightning blast in number 5? He had just seen him kill a helpless boy, wy would he hold back?.

Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak:
"Fingers crossed that Elysion will survive the next couple of issues, 'cause I think he could be a fine recurring villain. And those are few and far between, these days."

What i don't understand is wy didn't Garth kill Elysion with that big lightning blast in number 5? He had just seen him kill a helpless boy, wy would he hold back?.

Legion Code?

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

So it was.
You'd think the Bozos that Be would've put the Supergirl story on the cover for the sake of sales. Supergirl reappearing with the Legion after a LONG absence would've had that issue flying off the stands. The Anti Lad cover was lame and didn't even fit with the story.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.